Navy Football: Midshipmen play Arizona State, San Francisco, 1300 December 29

  • Phelps Hobart
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 28, 2012
      Thank you everyone who has been engaged with the Midshipmen during their visit to San Francisco the past few days.

      Game time tomorrow!

      Below is recent information about the Midshipmen and the game Saturday.

      The Midshipmen beat the Air Force Falcons October 6 and the Army Black Knights December 8; now to do the same for the Arizona State Sun Devils December 29 in San Francisco!

      You might know the Midshipmen lost to San Jose State in Annapolis September 29; to rectify the matter, they return to California when they go up against the Spartans in their stadium November 23, 2013.

      Go Navy!

      Phelps
      Phelps Hobart
      Senior Vice President
      Pacific Central Region
      Navy League of the United States

      Saturday's bowl game is simply frosting on the cake for Midshipmen

      The season is already a success because of bringing the coveted Commander-in-Chief’s Trophy back to Annapolis, Navy goes for the icing on the cake when it faces Arizona State in the December 29 Fight Hunger Bowl in San Francisco.

      The Midshipmen, thanks to a late Army fumble, hung on to edge the upset-minded Black Knights, officially ending Air Force’s two-year hold on the trophy and giving it to Navy for the eighth time in the last 10 years.

      It was the 11th straight win over Army and gave the Middies seven wins in their last eight games after a 1-3 start that included a victory over only FCS foe Virginia Military Institute.

      “It means everything to get your No. 1 goal,” coach Ken Niumatalolo said after the 17-13 victory. “That’s our No. 1 goal, to win the Commander-in-Chief’s Trophy.

      “To know all the hard work, all the running that these guys did in the summer, trying to eat right, do right, practice hard, I’m just so happy for these guys.”

      And now, it’s on to Arizona State, as Navy plays its ninth bowl game in the last 10 years. http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=teamreports-2012-ncaaf-nna

      Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl Preview Available on Navy Sports Magazine

      Bob Socci hosts the weekly radio show.

      Ken Niumatalolo

      Dec. 27, 2012

      • Listen Here

      ANNAPOLIS, Md. - Navy head football coach Ken Niumatalolo and Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl Executive Director Gary Cavalli chat with host Bob Socci on this week's edition of the Navy Sports Magazine Show.

      The Navy Sports Magazine will preview the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl, which will see Navy (8-4) take on Arizona State (7-5) on Saturday at AT&T Park at 4:00 PM (ET). The game will be televised by ESPN2.

      The Navy Sports Magazine show will also take a look back at Navy's 17-13 win over Army on December 8. The win was Navy's 11th straight against the Black Knights.

      The Navy Sports Magazine show will air on 1430 AM/99.5 FM WNAV in Annapolis on Thursday at 6:00 PM and on Saturday on WFED 1500 AM in Washington, D.C. at 2:00 PM. Fans can also listen to the show immediately by using the link at the top of the page.

      Navy Football Team Volunteers At St. Anthony's Dining Room

      Mids help feed 4,000 people on Christmas morning

      Dec. 25, 2012

      SAN FRANCISCO, Calif.--The Navy football team, including Superintendent Vice Admiral Mike Miller, USN and head football coach Ken Niumatalolo, volunteered at St. Anthony's Dining Room this morning in San Francisco helping hand out food and scarves to more than 4,000 people in need on a chilly Christmas morning.

      "This was without a doubt the best bowl event we have ever been a part of," said Navy head coach Ken Niumatalolo. "It was very humbling to have the opportunity to be here and I know it's something I want our team to do every year from here on out. It was an eye-opening experience for a lot of our players and having the opportunity to take part in what St. Anthony's does on a daily basis is really what Christmas is all about."

      St. Anthony's has been feeding the homeless in San Francisco for 62 years and feeds more than 3,000 people per day, 365 days per year. In the spirit of St. Francis of Assisi, the mission of St. Anthony Foundation is to feed, heal, shelter, clothe, lift the spirits of those in need, and create a society in which all persons flourish. They are committed to providing the poor of San Francisco with basic needs and services as a gateway to reclaiming their sense of dignity and to progressing towards stability. The mission of St. Anthony Foundation is guided by these values:

      HEALING We are committed to a healing ministry serving the spiritual, emotional and physical needs of those who are poor. We are called to solidarity with the poor and seek to identify with those we serve, realizing that by sharing in the healing of others, we too are healed.

      COMMUNITY We are called to solidarity with the poor and seek to identify with those we serve, realizing that by sharing in the healing of others, we too are healed. We invite participation in decision-making by those whose lives are affected, so that all may realize, develop and share their gifts for the good of the community. We strive to promote an atmosphere of openness, trust, and relationship, and to foster a spirit of respect for the gifts and needs of all persons.

      PERSONALISM We seek to honor diversity and treat all people with dignity and respect. We recognize that each person is worthy and valued simply by being. We seek simplicity and flexibility in our operations, and cherish our relationships with one another.

      JUSTICE We seek ways to eliminate injustice and to educate and empower people so that all may claim their rights in society. We believe we have a prophetic role to play in addressing the power structures of society, and seek to be advocates for and with people who are poor, disadvantaged, and outcast. We strive to work toward a society in which the world's abundant resources are made available to all according to need.

      GRATITUDE We celebrate the wonder of life and beauty of creation. We work to be good stewards of all the gifts given to us. We are committed to expressing our joy and gratitude to God and to all who join us in our work.

      Navy will play Arizona State in the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl on Saturday at 1:00 PM (PT), 4:00 PM in Annapolis on ESPN2.

      http://www.navysports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/122512aaa.html

      INSIDE SLANT

      Bowl game simply frosting on the cake for Midshipmen

      The season already a success because of bringing the coveted Commander-in-Chief’s Trophy back to Annapolis, Navy goes for the icing on the cake when it faces Arizona State in the Dec. 29 Fight Hunger Bowl in San Francisco.

      The Midshipmen, thanks to a late Army fumble, hung on to edge the upset-minded Black Knights, officially ending Air Force’s two-year hold on the trophy and giving it to Navy for the eighth time in the last 10 years.

      It was the 11th straight win over Army and gave the Middies seven wins in their last eight games after a 1-3 start that included a victory over only FCS foe Virginia Military Institute.

      “It means everything to get your No. 1 goal,” coach Ken Niumatalolo said after the 17-13 victory. “That’s our No. 1 goal, to win the Commander-in-Chief’s Trophy.

      “To know all the hard work, all the running that these guys did in the summer, trying to eat right, do right, practice hard, I’m just so happy for these guys.”

      And now, it’s on to Arizona State, as Navy plays its ninth bowl game in the last 10 years.

      Three weeks after playing in “America’s Game,” the Midshipmen (8-4) meet the Sun Devils (7-5) of the Pac-12.

      “Arizona State is an outstanding football team with great players on both sides of the ball,” Niumatalolo said after learning of his bowl opponent. “We have played a very tough schedule this year and there is no doubt that Arizona State will be as talented as any team we’ve faced.”

      He’s right. The Sun Devils come into this game off two straight wins, the second a come-from-behind victory over rival Arizona.

      The Sun Devils scored 87 points in their last two games, riding a career-high 156 yards and three touchdowns by running back Marion Grice to the 41-34 victory over Arizona that allowed Arizona State to finish 5-4 in league play.

      Arizona State runs a balanced offense that has the Devils tied for 21st in the country in scoring. On defense, Arizona State is a weak No. 78 against the run, and we all know how Navy moves the football, running the triple option.

      Freshman quarterback Keenan Reynolds, who led the Middies on their charge to the bowl, has mixed more passing into the Navy attack. However, Arizona State is 12th in the country against the pass, which might make that a bit more difficult. The Sun Devils are 81st against the run.

      NOTES, QUOTES

      Players To Watch:

      • Freshman QB Keenan Reynolds is 6-1 as a starter and 7-1 overall after Navy nipped Army Dec. 8. He engineered what turned out to be the winning drive late in that game and continues to do so many special things. “Keenan comes in and uses his man voice,” WR Brandon Turner, who caught a 49-yard pass from Reynolds to set up the winning touchdown. “His presence in the huddle makes you want to believe in him. There’s just something about the kid. The way he led us on that last drive was unbelievable. For a freshman to come in and beat one of the better Army teams in years is incredible.”

      • FB Noah Copeland ran for 110 yards on 17 carries, including touchdown runs of 15 and 16 yards against Texas State and then followed that up with 96 yards and a touchdown against Army.

      • LBs Matt Warrick and Brye French are the Nos. 1 and 3 tacklers, respectively, on the Navy roster heading into the bowl game, but it was LB Cody Peterson who led the charge against Army with 14 tackles.

      Bowl History:   Navy is 7-9-1 in bowl games and has lost four of its last five. The Middies ended a three-game bowl losing streak with a victory over Missouri in the 2009 Texas Bowl, but then lost the Poinsettia Bowl to San Diego State before failing to make a bowl last season.

      Quote To Note:   “There’s something about the kid. The way he led us on that last drive was unbelievable. In one of the biggest games, a freshman came in and beat one of the better Army teams there’s been these last few years. That’s remarkable. That’s incredible.”—WR Brandon Turner, after catching a 49-yard pass from freshman Keenan Reynolds that led to the winning touchdown against Army.

      STRATEGY AND PERSONNEL

      Bowl Breakdown

      Scouting the running game: Freshman QB Keenan Reynolds brought an added dimension to the Navy triple option attack, a passing game, but the running game remains the staple. FB Noah Copeland appeared to be coming on at the right time and slotbacks Gee Gee Greene and Bo Snelson are both seniors who want to go out with a bowl victory against a team that was No. 81 in the country against the run, yielding 172 yards per game. Navy is sixth in the country in rushing, at 276.42 yards per game.

      Scouting the passing game: Keenan Reynolds, who replaced Trey Miller at quarterback, completed 56-for-97 passes for 884 yards, with eight touchdowns and only one interception. He faces an Arizona State defense that is 12th in the country, yielding 178.8 yards per game.

      Scouting the run defense: Navy fell to 77th in the country against the run when Army ran the ball so well. In the bowl game, the Middies will see the No. 38 rushing attack in the country, with Marion Grice coming off a career-high 156 yards and three touchdowns in the victory over Arizona.

      Scouting the pass defense: Navy is 35th in the country in pass defense, but the Middies were stung by 415 yards of passing by Troy on Nov. 10, so the weakness is there for an Arizona offense that is 45th in the country in passing.

      Scouting the special teams: The kicking game was a strength for the Middies through much of the season, with freshman K Nick Sloan making his first seven college field goal tries. But he has missed four of the last seven (one was a 51-yarder) and has made all 37 extra points. P Pablo Beltran has had a strong season, with a 43.9 average, with 17 of his 40 punts landing inside the 20. Marcus Thomas has a 27-yard kick return average with a long of 36, while Shawn Lynch is the punt returner and has a 40-yarder on his resume.

      Intangibles: It’s always hard to get a read on a service academy team heading into a bowl game because bowls are the second-most important thing on their schedules. The goal at the start of the season is the Commander-in-Chief’s Trophy, so the bowl is gravy. But this Navy team rebounded from a 1-3 start that included a win over only FCS foe Virginia Military Institute, and then charged to the finish with a freshman quarterback leading the way. Arizona State is weak against the run, which could make the option flourish.

      Roster Report

      • Freshman QB Rafi Montalvo remained in a coma in a Florida hospital after a Thanksgiving Night car accident. The Middies had his jersey and helmet on chairs at the Army game. “I think it just kind of stressed to everyone on the team that you just never know,” slotback Bo Snelson said. “It’s easy to get down on yourself and grumble that you’ve got to be out at practice, but how would you feel if you weren’t able to come to practice? I think that’s something that really impacted everybody.”

      • LB Keegan Wetzel had two tackles for losses in the Nov. 17 victory over Texas State and added 1 1/2 against Army. That gave him 15 for the season, only one behind cracking Navy’s all-time top five for a season. He was selected independent defensive player of the week after making a career-high 11 tackles, including his third sack, against Army. Wetzel, who had a perfect 1,600 SAT score in high school, was named a Capital One First Team Academic All-American by the College Sports Information Directors of America. He is the eighth Navy player to be named First Team Academic All-American and it marks the third-straight year that Navy has had a player make the first team. John Dowd was named first team in 2010 and 2011.

      • LB Brye French and SL Bo Snelson, stripped of their captaincies in August because of rules violations, had their captaincies reinstated before the Army game, with Rear Admiral Michael H. Heller informing coach Ken Niumatalolo of the news via e-mail. “It basically said that after further deliberation and consideration, the superintendent felt that Bo and Brye had exhibited the leadership that is becoming of a captain here and he would like to reinstate them,” Niumatalolo said. “I was super excited when I got that information. I felt good for Bo and Brye, because they have worked very hard to earn that title back.”

      • WR Brandon Turner was suspended from the team after failing the summer conditioning test, but worked his way back and caught a vital 49-yard pass from Keenan Reynolds to help win the Army game. “I wasn’t sure about my career and where it was going,” Turner said of his summer problem. “I remember coach Niumat hugging me after telling me I wasn’t going to Ireland. It was pretty emotional and he told me, ‘There’s going to be one game when this team needs you and you’re going to step up and make a play.’ Turner added: “Before the game today, coach Niumat came over, gave me a hug and said, ‘I’m glad you’re still here.’ I said, ‘Coach, you know I’ve got you. I’m going to make a play for you.’ It’s kind of a Cinderella story. It’s kind of mushy and emotional, but it’s also kind of cool that it turned out that way. After all of what happened with me, it feels good to contribute to a big win.”

      2012 Navy Midshipmen football team

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Navy_Midshipmen_football_team

      Navy Midshipmen - NCAA College Football - CBSSports.com http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/teams/page/NAVY/navy-midshipmen

      FB Schedules and News - Navy Midshipmen  http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-12/indep/2012-navy-midshipmen-football-schedule.php

      The Midshipmen open the 2013 campaign with a road game at Indiana on September 7, followed by a home game against Delaware on September 14. After an off week, Navy travels to Western Kentucky (09/28), hosts Air Force (10/05) and then travels to Duke (10/12) and Toledo (10/19).

      On October 26, the Pittsburgh Panthers visit Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium. Navy then hits the road to face Notre Dame on November 2.

      Navy then hosts Hawaii (11/09) and South Alabama (11/16) before traveling to San Jose State (11/23).

      The Midshipmen close the 2013 season on December 14 against Army in the Army-Navy Game. Like the 2012 game, it will also be played at Lincoln Financial Field.

      Listed below are links to Navy’s 2012 and 2013 football schedules:

    • usaseapower
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 30, 2012
        :(  The lost to the Arizona State Sun Devils 62 -28 wasn't easy to take for us GO NAVY fans but life goes on.

        The Navy Midshipmen beat both the Air Force Falcons and the Army Black Knights this year to reclaim the Commander-in-Chief's Trophy so that's a plus.

        The Midshipmen are scheduled to return to California in 2013. They lost to San Jose State in Annapolis September 29; to rectify the matter, they go up against the Spartans in their stadium November 23.

        The 2013 football season and links to a lot of Midshipmen Football information is found at
        http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-13/indep/2013-navy-midshipmen-football-schedule.php.

        When planning your council's 2013's activity calendar consider scheduling social events for the Navy - Air Force game, October 5 and the Army - Navy game December 14. Possibly someone will take on the task of coordinating group tickets for the game in San Jose November 23.

        GO NAVY!

        Phelps