NLUS December 2012 Digital Edition

  • SEAPOWER Editor
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 28, 2012
        The December 2012 issue of SEAPOWER

      NOW AVAILABLE AS A DIGITAL EDITION

      Go to www.seapowermagazine.org

      P. 3 President’s Message. A Sense of Urgency.

      P. 51 Law of the Sea debate, NLUS election highlight board meeting.

      P. 56 Lake Washington Council honors the Coast Guard.

      P. 56 Fort Worth assists in commissioning USS Fort Worth.

      P. 57 Pittsburgh CO, crew visit namesake city.

      P. 57 Jacksonville hears Sea Cadet success story.

      P. 58 Manatee Division becomes commissioned NSCC unit.

      P. 58 New York Council honors Naval Command College class.

      P. 60 San Diego Council recognizes Marine Drill Instructors and Recruiters of the Quarter.

      P. 12 Back to the Maritime Domain. Strategic shift to the Asia-Pacific means changes ahead for the Navy.

      P. 14 Everyone’s Invited. Record turnout for this year’s RIMPAC emphasizes growing focus on region.

      P. 16 Over-the-Horizon Offense. DARPA’s LRASM-A shows potential as a ship-launched cruise missile.

      P. 20 Littoral Challenges. U.S., allied navies find capabilities, cooperation must evolve.

      P. 24 The Next Generation. Talks begin on Royal Canadian Navy’s new Surface Combatant.

      P. 28 Future Firefighter. Researchers aim to develop robots to battle shipboard blazes, perform disaster-relief tasks.

      P. 32 Turning the Corner. Interview with Rear Adm. David J. Gale, commander of Navy Regional Maintenance Centers, on the readiness of the surface fleet.

      P. 38 Broadening Training. Marines will adjust focus to potential future threats, missions.

      P. 42 Cutter Progress. Coast Guard gains operational days as fleet maintenance improves, for now.

      P. 44 Immigration Assist. Coast Guard making fewer migrant interdictions at sea as tougher laws, partnerships take hold.

      P. 64 In My Own Words. Marine Science Technician 1st Class Michael Shannon, U.S. Coast Guard Pacific Strike Team, Novato, Calif.

      P. 6 Washington Report

      * Leadership Expected to Change on Key Defense Panels in Congress.

      * Amos: USMC Built for the ‘World We’re Living in Today.’

      * Navy League, AFA, AUSA Urge Action on Looming Fiscal Crisis.

      P. 8 Intercepts

      “The last thing I wanted to do was to burden these Marines with some science project as they jumped into high-intensity combat against a determined enemy. I was wrong. The Marines jumped all over it. They understood what those systems offered to them. I got nothing but praise for those kinds of systems, because it made the grunt’s life easier.”

      Lt. Gen. Richard Mills, Marine Corps deputy commandant for combat development and integration

      On giving Marines in Afghanistan gear that can harness renewable energy as part of the effort to lighten the loads they must carry in the field. — Federal News Radio, Oct. 18

      This message was sent to PCR-NLUS@yahoogroups.com from:

      Navy League of the United States | 2300 Wilson Blvd. Suite 200 | Arlington, VA 22201

      Manage Your Subscription