Auld Lang Syne

  • Phelps Hobart
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2009

      Around the world Auld Lang Syne was sung by revellers at midnight.

      Let us lift a cup of kindness remembering all who serve away from home. God bless them.

      Happy New Year one and all.

      Phelps

      Phelps Hobart
      Web Yeoman
      Pacific Central Region, NLUS

      PS Note I have changed delivery from "Daily Digest" to "Individual Email." Let me know if you desire an alternative. Please inform others, especially council officers and directors, they may subscribe as well.

      ________________________

      Auld Lang Syne

      Should old acquaintance be forgot,
      and never brought to mind?
      Should old acquaintance be forgot,
      and old times since ?

      CHORUS:
      For auld lang syne, my dear,
      for auld lang syne,
      we'll take a cup of kindness yet,
      for auld lang syne.

      And surely you’ll buy your pint cup!
      And surely I’ll buy mine!
      And we'll take a cup o’ kindness yet,
      for auld lang syne.

      CHORUS

      We two have run about the slopes,
      and picked the daisies fine;
      But we’ve wandered many a weary foot,
      since auld lang syne.

      CHORUS

      We two have paddled in the stream,
      from morning sun till dine;
      But seas between us broad have roared
      since auld lang syne.

      CHORUS

      And there’s a hand my trusty friend !
      And give us a hand o’ thine!
      And we’ll take a right good-will draught,
      for auld lang syne.

      CHORUS

      Auld Lang Syne

      "Auld Lang Syne" is a Scottish poem compiled and composed by Robert Burns in 1788 and set to the tune of a traditional folk song (Roud # 6294). It is well known in many English-speaking countries and is often sung to celebrate the start of the new year at the stroke of midnight on New Year's Day.

      The song's title may be translated into English literally as "old long since", or more idiomatically, "long long ago" or "days gone by" or "Once upon a time." The melody used today is widely used both in Scotland and in the rest of the world.

      Singing the song on New Year's Eve is a Scots custom spread to other parts of the British Isles. As Scots (and other Britons) emigrated around the world, they took the song with them.

      Canadian band leader Guy Lombardo is often credited with popularizing the use of the song at New Year’s celebrations in America, through his annual broadcasts on radio and television, beginning in 1929 through to 1947. The song became his trademark.