BONUS:FEAT|POOL issue?

  • Lange LeBlanc
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 7, 2005
      using PCGen 5.8.0

      I've noticed something odd when using BONUS:FEAT:POOL. I've seen other posts identifying this tag but didn't notice my particular issue. Hope there's an answer to it.

      My game uses curses, a type of hindrance that stays with the character for it's lifetime. Curses are selected at 1st level and provides some kind of skill / feat / ability penalty. A character can take as many curses as they want, but each curse taken provides a feat bonus.

      I'm trying to get the curses coded as feats. Here's one of my curses:

      -Gorek's Pain (gives a -2 penalty on STR, DEX and CON ability checks and skill checks)
      -SA:You take a -2 penalty on Strength-, Dexterity-, and Constitution-based ability checks.
      -BONUS:SKILL|STAT.DEX|-2
      -BONUS:SKILL|STAT.STR|-2
      -BONUS:SKILL|STAT.CON|-2
      -BONUS:FEAT|POOL|2

      Taking this curse actually uses on of the character's starting feats (since I've coded it as a feat), but the POOL then replaces that missing feat and adds an extra one (since taking a curse allows an extra feat for that character)

      Works fine until the character gets to 3rd-level. At this level the character should be getting 1 more feat for his class levels. But instead the character gets 4 feats.

      Is this BONUS:FEAT|POOL tag not supposed to be used in Feats? Should I instead make my curses templates?

      Thanks.

    • Eddy Anthony
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 7, 2005
        On 9/7/05 11:02 AM, "Lange LeBlanc" <lange72@...> wrote:

        > I've noticed something odd when using BONUS:FEAT:POOL. I've seen other posts
        > identifying this tag but didn't notice my particular issue. Hope there's an
        > answer to it.

        I've seen weird things with this tag as well, I may be able to provide you a
        better way to handle this without using this tag.

        > My game uses curses, a type of hindrance that stays with the character for
        > it's lifetime. Curses are selected at 1st level and provides some kind of
        > skill / feat / ability penalty. A character can take as many curses as they
        > want, but each curse taken provides a feat bonus.
        >
        > I'm trying to get the curses coded as feats. Here's one of my curses:
        >
        > -Gorek's Pain (gives a -2 penalty on STR, DEX and CON ability checks and skill
        > checks)
        > -SA:You take a -2 penalty on Strength-, Dexterity-, and Constitution-based
        > ability checks.
        > -BONUS:SKILL|STAT.DEX|-2
        > -BONUS:SKILL|STAT.STR|-2
        > -BONUS:SKILL|STAT.CON|-2
        > -BONUS:FEAT|POOL|2

        I am assuming that the idea here is that taking a curse will grant you an
        additional feat (This is the Flaw concept in Unearthed Arcana), here's what
        to do: instead of using BONUS:FEAT|POOL use COST:-1. If you have no COST tag
        in your feat line it will default to 1

        Putting a negative number in the COST tag will add to the feat pool instead
        of subtract and allow selection of an additional feat. Hope that helps.
        --
        ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
        ~ PCGen Content Silverback