Regions and regional feats (newbie question)

  • Who knows...?
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 1, 2005
      Hello everyone!
      I'm new to .lst editing and creating (in fact I'm new to PCgen
      altogether), but I've been fiddling with it for a couple of days now
      trying to adjust it for my upcoming campaign. It's to take place on my
      own-created world (which has no name yet) and I want to use the
      concept of regions and regional feats.
      I know there is a REGION tag somewhere. I also know there are CMP's
      data sources for the Forgotten Realms setting (the original source of
      the region concept) around, but I have no intention of buying those
      just to look how the code is implemented.
      So, could anyone help walkthrough me to the creating region .lst's and
      implementing them... or at least give me some advice on where to start?
      Thanks a million!

      Alryon
    • taluroniscandar
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 1, 2005
        > regions and regional feats.
        > I know there is a REGION tag somewhere.

        Regional feats are coded like any other feat exept that they have an
        additional PRExx for the region.

        Regions in the past have been done with TEMPLATEs, which is where the
        REGION tag is located. It may also be possible (now) to code regions
        using the KIT files.

        For TEMPLATE's take a look at how the Drow race and Celestial/Fiendish
        templates are done in RSRD. Racial templates are a 1st cousin of
        region templates, the main difference being they have RACE and SUBRACE
        tags rather than REGION and SUBREGION tags.

        As to kits, I think it's possible to do regions and may be more
        efficient than templates but I've never done a kit and there are no
        examples that I know of to direct you to (there being none in the
        xSRD). There may be some in other sources but none that I am familiar
        with.
      • Chris
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 1, 2005
          > Regions in the past have been done with TEMPLATEs, which is where the
          > REGION tag is located. It may also be possible (now) to code regions
          > using the KIT files.

          They can also be put in race files.

          Barak
        • taluroniscandar
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 1, 2005
            --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <barak@v...> wrote:
            > > Regions in the past have been done with TEMPLATEs, which is where the
            > > REGION tag is located. It may also be possible (now) to code regions
            > > using the KIT files.
            >
            > They can also be put in race files.

            Do you mean coding a specific race for each region (which is what I
            think you're refering to and I have done in some circumstances and for
            some reason it slipped my mind) or some other method?
          • Chris
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 1, 2005
              > Do you mean coding a specific race for each region (which is what I
              > think you're refering to and I have done in some circumstances and for
              > some reason it slipped my mind) or some other method?

              I mean you can put a "REGION:Region1|Region 2|Region 3" tag on a race
              line and when you pick the race a chooser listing the possible regions
              will pop up for you to pick from. :)

              Barak
            • taluroniscandar
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 1, 2005
                --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <barak@v...> wrote:
                > > Do you mean coding a specific race for each region (which is what I
                > > think you're refering to and I have done in some circumstances and for
                > > some reason it slipped my mind) or some other method?
                >
                > I mean you can put a "REGION:Region1|Region 2|Region 3" tag on a race
                > line and when you pick the race a chooser listing the possible regions
                > will pop up for you to pick from. :)

                Oh.

                Does that provide any region specific features?
              • Chris
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 1, 2005
                  > Does that provide any region specific features?

                  Unfortunately, no. You still need to set them up as kits or templates
                  for that. :/

                  It's just a way to ensure that a region is chosen when one is
                  required... it does however mean you better choose right the first
                  time, because you can't change it later.

                  Barak