Making larger weapons smaller....

  • Alexander
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 25 3:51 PM
      Ok... not really... but:

      I've seen a couple of feats that allow a medium weapon wielded in an
      off hand to be used like a light weapon (i.e. no penalty)... aside
      from making this a "text only" feat, how would I get the penalty to
      not show up on the character sheet? (does that make sense?)

      As an example... I have two weapon fighting... and the feat I'm
      looking at taking is Oversized two weapon fighting or dual wield or
      the like... normally, my penalty for wielding two longswords is -4/-4
      (primary/secondary)... the feat, however makes it so the penalties for
      dual wielding longswords is -2/-2 (as if the offhand longsword were a
      small weapon)... Can't figure out how to get that offhand penalty to
      show up reduced... I'm sure I'm just missing something simple...
      (again)...

      Many Thanks,

      DracoMorpheus
    • taluroniscandar
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 25 7:24 PM
        --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Alexander" <dreams@g...> wrote:
        > Ok... not really... but:
        >
        > I've seen a couple of feats that allow a medium weapon wielded in an
        > off hand to be used like a light weapon (i.e. no penalty)... aside
        > from making this a "text only" feat, how would I get the penalty to
        > not show up on the character sheet? (does that make sense?)
        >
        > As an example... I have two weapon fighting... and the feat I'm
        > looking at taking is Oversized two weapon fighting or dual wield or
        > the like... normally, my penalty for wielding two longswords is -4/-4
        > (primary/secondary)... the feat, however makes it so the penalties for
        > dual wielding longswords is -2/-2 (as if the offhand longsword were a
        > small weapon)... Can't figure out how to get that offhand penalty to
        > show up reduced... I'm sure I'm just missing something simple...
        > (again)...

        There are a couple of tags to change WIELDCATEGORY but I don't know
        how to isolate it to one specific weapon except maybe create a special
        EQMOD (similar to the Arcane Archer one) to apply to the off-hand weapon .
      • Alexander
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 25 8:28 PM
          -SNIP-

          > There are a couple of tags to change WIELDCATEGORY but I don't know
          > how to isolate it to one specific weapon except maybe create a
          special
          > EQMOD (similar to the Arcane Archer one) to apply to the off-hand
          weapon.

          It doesn't have to be applied to one weapon per se. One class of
          weapons... One Handed or "medium" weapons...
          Currently, my .lst file for it looks something like this:
          Large Dual Wield
          OUTPUTNAME:Large Dual Wield
          TYPE:General.Fighter
          PREFEAT:Two Weapon Fighting
          PRESTAT:1,STR=13
          DESC:You are adept at wielding larger than normal weapons offhandedly
          BONUS:COMBAT|TOHIT-PRIMARY|2|TYPE=NotRanged
          BONUS:COMBAT|TOHIT-SECONDARY|2|WIELDCATEGORY=OneHanded

          Any thoughts or comments?

          Many thanks.
        • Barak
          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 26 2:10 AM
            > From: PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com

            > BONUS:COMBAT|TOHIT-SECONDARY|2|WIELDCATEGORY=OneHanded
            >
            > Any thoughts or comments?

            *boggle*

            That actually works????? If it does, we need to put it in the docs.

            AFAIK, the only way to use WIELDCATEGORY is in a
            BONUS:WEAPON(PROF)|WIELDCATEGORY way...

            Barak
          • thoron-tir-gwaith@lycos.com
            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 26 2:57 AM
              > > BONUS:COMBAT|TOHIT-SECONDARY|2|WIELDCATEGORY=OneHanded
              > >
              > > Any thoughts or comments?
              >
              > *boggle*
              >
              > That actually works????? If it does, we need to put it in the docs.

              I don't think so. What PCGen is probably seeing is:
              BONUS:COMBAT|TOHIT-SECONDARY|2|?????
              which it then turns into:
              BONUS:COMBAT|TOHIT-SECONDARY|2

              So it should be granting the +2 to all weapons. Now, since this item is probably only taken by someone wanting to make use of it, it probably LOOKS like it covers it, and the WIELDCATEGORY is taken into account.

              However, I'm not going to discount some bit of funky snippet a Code Monkey might have put in (it has happened before.)

              > AFAIK, the only way to use WIELDCATEGORY is in a
              > BONUS:WEAPON(PROF)|WIELDCATEGORY way...

              Effectively, yes.. It is also used in GameMode, straight up (Since it is needed to make the BONUS work.) I've seen it in BONUS:WEAPON and BONUS:WEAPONPROF= BONUS:COMBAT|TOHIT.WIELDCATEGORY.Light would make sense as well (add a bonus to hit will all Light weapons, for example) but I've never seen it, and I don't think it would work....

              Tir Gwaith
              LST Chimp
            • Paul Murphy
              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 26 4:12 AM
                I tried to create a similar feat and tried the BONUS:COMBAT... route,
                it didn't work for me. What I ended up doing was :

                BONUS:WEAPONPROF=weapon|WIELDCATEGORY|-1

                and doing that for every One-handed weapon made it a fairly large,
                inelegant feat. The types only cover simple, martial etc, if there
                were a way to reference OneHanded as a group it would be much simpler.

                Paul

                --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, thoron-tir-gwaith@l...
                wrote:
                > > > BONUS:COMBAT|TOHIT-SECONDARY|2|WIELDCATEGORY=OneHanded
                > > >
                > > > Any thoughts or comments?
                > >
                > > *boggle*
                > >
                > > That actually works????? If it does, we need to put it in the
                docs.

                > I don't think so. What PCGen is probably seeing is:
                > BONUS:COMBAT|TOHIT-SECONDARY|2|?????
                > which it then turns into:
                > BONUS:COMBAT|TOHIT-SECONDARY|2
                >
                > So it should be granting the +2 to all weapons. Now, since this
                item is probably only taken by someone wanting to make use of it, it
                probably LOOKS like it covers it, and the WIELDCATEGORY is taken into
                account.

                > However, I'm not going to discount some bit of funky snippet a Code
                Monkey might have put in (it has happened before.)

                > > AFAIK, the only way to use WIELDCATEGORY is in a
                > > BONUS:WEAPON(PROF)|WIELDCATEGORY way...
                >
                > Effectively, yes.. It is also used in GameMode, straight up (Since
                it is needed to make the BONUS work.) I've seen it in BONUS:WEAPON
                and BONUS:WEAPONPROF= BONUS:COMBAT|TOHIT.WIELDCATEGORY.Light would
                make sense as well (add a bonus to hit will all Light weapons, for
                example) but I've never seen it, and I don't think it would work....

                > Tir Gwaith
                > LST Chimp
              • taluroniscandar
                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 26 5:07 AM
                  > > BONUS:COMBAT|TOHIT-SECONDARY|2|WIELDCATEGORY=OneHanded
                  > >
                  > > Any thoughts or comments?
                  >
                  > *boggle*
                  >
                  > That actually works????? If it does, we need to put it in the docs.
                  >
                  > AFAIK, the only way to use WIELDCATEGORY is in a
                  > BONUS:WEAPON(PROF)|WIELDCATEGORY way...

                  News to me if it does.

                  I think he was asking if that would work, not stating that it does.

                  OTOH, it would be nice...maybe we should freq that.
                • taluroniscandar
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 26 5:16 AM
                    > > > BONUS:COMBAT|TOHIT-SECONDARY|2|WIELDCATEGORY=OneHanded

                    I don't think the above would work
                    BUT
                    BONUS:COMBAT|TOHIT-SECONDARY|2|PREWIELD:1,OneHanded
                    might

                    > > AFAIK, the only way to use WIELDCATEGORY is in a
                    > > BONUS:WEAPON(PROF)|WIELDCATEGORY way...
                    >
                    > Effectively, yes.. It is also used in GameMode, straight up (Since
                    it is needed to make the BONUS work.) I've seen it in BONUS:WEAPON
                    and BONUS:WEAPONPROF= BONUS:COMBAT|TOHIT.WIELDCATEGORY.Light would
                    make sense as well (add a bonus to hit will all Light weapons, for
                    example) but I've never seen it, and I don't think it would work....

                    There is a third tag that'll take it. Can never remember what it is
                    (it's not doc'd)... I 'think' it's BONUS:EQMWEAPON but i'm not positive.
                  • Chris
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jul 26 6:15 AM
                      > BONUS:WEAPONPROF=weapon|WIELDCATEGORY|-1
                      >
                      > and doing that for every One-handed weapon made it a fairly large,
                      > inelegant feat. The types only cover simple, martial etc, if there
                      > were a way to reference OneHanded as a group it would be much simpler.

                      There is. Unfortunately, I'm at work without access to the docs, but I
                      know there is a way to specify that.

                      Look in either the WIELDCATEGORY docs or the PCSIZE docs I think...

                      Barak
                    • thoron-tir-gwaith@lycos.com
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jul 26 9:46 AM
                        > Look in either the WIELDCATEGORY docs or the PCSIZE docs I think...

                        I thought it was related to PCSIZE, myself.. I'm at work, too....

                        Tir Gwaith
                        LST Chimp
                      • Alexander
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jul 26 11:42 AM
                          --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, thoron-tir-gwaith@l... wrote:
                          > > Look in either the WIELDCATEGORY docs or the PCSIZE docs I think...
                          >
                          > I thought it was related to PCSIZE, myself.. I'm at work, too....

                          So... if that is the case, then... the Feat would need to resize the
                          character? :D Wow... I didn't think it was THAT powerful a feat...

                          That would seem to make sense, however. I've managed to get it to add
                          the feat to the offhand, but unfortunately, it adds the bonus to
                          ANYTHING in the offhand... so, if the character were wielding a
                          longsword, mace, etc in the offhand and nothing in the primary, it
                          would still get the bonus...

                          Off to keep looking for answers...

                          Many thanks so far....:)
                        • Chris
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jul 26 12:15 PM
                            > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, thoron-tir-gwaith@l...

                            > So... if that is the case, then... the Feat would need to resize the
                            > character? :D Wow... I didn't think it was THAT powerful a feat...

                            PCSIZE merely changes the relationship between the weapon size and the
                            character's size, not actually changing the pc's size. :p

                            Barak
                          • Felonius Stark
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jul 27 10:28 AM
                              Would this work?

                              BONUS:WIELDCATEGORY|OneHanded|-1

                              I actually need to figure this out, too... I need to implement a
                              similar feat, so I'll be testing this one out soon...

                              --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Barak" <barak@v...> wrote:
> [...]
                            • Alexander
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jul 27 10:46 AM
                                --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Felonius Stark"
                                <felonius@y...> wrote:
                                > Would this work?
                                >
                                > BONUS:WIELDCATEGORY|OneHanded|-1
                                >
                                > I actually need to figure this out, too... I need to implement a
                                > similar feat, so I'll be testing this one out soon...

                                I've tried using that as well as several variations on that theme and
                                the only "success" I've had is basically giving a bonus to the offhand
                                regardless of what (if anything) is held in the primary... I keep
                                trying, and if I can make any progress, I'll be sure and let ya know...

                                Alex
                              • Alexander
                                Message 15 of 15 , Jul 27 11:01 AM
                                  Ok... as I've said before, I'm VERY new at all this... but I was
                                  looking at all the .lst files... and I'm wondering if there was a way
                                  to apply this bonus like this, somehow:

                                  TYPE.Simple|TYPE.Martial|TYPE.Exotic|Hands=1 (or Hands=Not2 or
                                  whatever) as opposed to PCSIZE or PREWIELD?

                                  just a thought, I'm not sure how it would be coded...

                                  Alex
                                  (you're gonna get tired of my randomness, I'm sure... )