Adjusting BAB for one specific weapon

  • Andrew Wilson
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 24, 2005
      Hi

      I'm trying to code up a PI EQMOD for my character's use, but I'm stumped.
      I need an enhancement that will modifiy the characters Base Attack Bonus
      (and hence affect his number of attacks) but only when weilding this
      particular weapon.

      The EQMOD needs to raise the BAB to be 3/4 of TL, so for example a 16th
      level wizard using the weapon has his BAB raised from 8 to 12 and so his
      full attack is 12/7/2 with this modifier applied and 8/3 without it.

      Is it possible to show 3 attacks with this weapon and only 2 with all
      others?

      Thanks for any help

      andrew
      --
      Capricorn: (Dec. 22 - Jan. 19)
      You're really getting tired of big business screwing over the
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 25, 2005
        > I'm trying to code up a PI EQMOD for my character's use, but I'm
        stumped.
        > I need an enhancement that will modifiy the characters Base Attack
        Bonus
        > (and hence affect his number of attacks) but only when weilding this
        > particular weapon.
        >
        > The EQMOD needs to raise the BAB to be 3/4 of TL, so for example a
        16th
        > level wizard using the weapon has his BAB raised from 8 to 12 and
        so his
        > full attack is 12/7/2 with this modifier applied and 8/3 without it.

        BONUS:COMBAT|BAB|(HD+TL)*3/4|TYPE=Base

        This will only show up when the particular weapon is actually
        equipped (as opposed to carried).

        > Is it possible to show 3 attacks with this weapon and only 2 with
        all
        > others?

        No, the BAB will get changed for the character when the weapon is
        equipped...

        Ok, now if you want to really go out on a limb (I've done it lots,
        like when I first did the MM Dragons, etc....) If you don't, stop
        reading now.....

        I was thinking you might be able to do a workaround (using a formula
        like floor(((HD+TL)*3/4+4)/5)-floor((var("BONUS.COMBAT.BAB")+4)/5) ),
        but I can't figure a way to adjust it for a specific weapon. Unless
        BONUS:WEAPON|ATTACKS (or something similar) is valid...

        BONUS:WEAPON|ATTACKS|floor(((HD+TL)*3/4+4)/5)-floor((var
        ("BONUS.COMBAT.BAB")+4)/5)

        BONUS:WEAPON|TOHIT|max((HD+TL)*3/4,BAB)-BAB

        Something along those lines might work for you.....

        Tir Gwaith
        LST Chimp
      • taluroniscandar
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 25, 2005
          --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew McDougall"
          <thoron-tir-gwaith@l...> wrote:
          > > I'm trying to code up a PI EQMOD for my character's use, but I'm
          > stumped.
          > > I need an enhancement that will modifiy the characters Base Attack
          > Bonus
          > > (and hence affect his number of attacks) but only when weilding this
          > > particular weapon.
          > >
          > > The EQMOD needs to raise the BAB to be 3/4 of TL, so for example a
          > 16th
          > > level wizard using the weapon has his BAB raised from 8 to 12 and
          > so his
          > > full attack is 12/7/2 with this modifier applied and 8/3 without it.
          >
          > BONUS:COMBAT|BAB|(HD+TL)*3/4|TYPE=Base
          >
          > This will only show up when the particular weapon is actually
          > equipped (as opposed to carried).
          >
          > > Is it possible to show 3 attacks with this weapon and only 2 with
          > all
          > > others?
          >
          > No, the BAB will get changed for the character when the weapon is
          > equipped...
          >
          > Ok, now if you want to really go out on a limb (I've done it lots,
          > like when I first did the MM Dragons, etc....) If you don't, stop
          > reading now.....
          >
          > I was thinking you might be able to do a workaround (using a formula
          > like floor(((HD+TL)*3/4+4)/5)-floor((var("BONUS.COMBAT.BAB")+4)/5) ),
          > but I can't figure a way to adjust it for a specific weapon. Unless
          > BONUS:WEAPON|ATTACKS (or something similar) is valid...
          >
          > BONUS:WEAPON|ATTACKS|floor(((HD+TL)*3/4+4)/5)-floor((var
          > ("BONUS.COMBAT.BAB")+4)/5)
          >
          > BONUS:WEAPON|TOHIT|max((HD+TL)*3/4,BAB)-BAB

          I thought BONUS:WEAPON|ATTACKS| added just to the number of iterative
          attacks not the BAB. Or is your equation a convoluted calc for the
          number of attacks?
        • Andrew McDougall
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 25, 2005
            > > BONUS:WEAPON|ATTACKS (or something similar) is valid...
            > >
            > > BONUS:WEAPON|ATTACKS|floor(((HD+TL)*3/4+4)/5)-floor((var
            > > ("BONUS.COMBAT.BAB")+4)/5)
            > >
            > > BONUS:WEAPON|TOHIT|max((HD+TL)*3/4,BAB)-BAB
            > >

            > I thought BONUS:WEAPON|ATTACKS| added just to the number of iterative
            > attacks not the BAB. Or is your equation a convoluted calc for the
            > number of attacks?

            I got asked if I could adjust the display for "BAB" including # of
            attacks for a specific weapon only..... That's my 'convoluted calc'
            for the number attacks the BAB should grant. It actually is very
            straight forward. It just looks complicated. :p

            Tir Gwaith
            LST Chimp
          • Andrew Wilson
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 25, 2005
              Thanks Tir, I'm still not sure of a few points though.

              On Mon, Jul 25, 2005 at 11:25:13AM -0000, Andrew McDougall wrote:
              > BONUS:COMBAT|BAB|(HD+TL)*3/4|TYPE=Base
              >
              > This will only show up when the particular weapon is actually
              > equipped (as opposed to carried).

              I don't see why this is (HD + TL). I haven't actually tried this yet,
              I'm still working it out in my head. For a standard Character Hit Dice
              equals Total Level, so a human 16th level wizard is

              HD = 16
              TL = 16

              I make that

              (16 + 16) * 3 / 4

              (32) * 3 / 4

              96 / 4

              24

              I would have thought that this would add 24 to the BAB, giving him an
              attack progression of 30/25/20/15. Am I missing something?

              I'll have a look at the number of attacks thing and see if I can get it
              sorted. Thanks again.

              andrew
              --
              Aquarius: (Jan. 20 - Feb. 18)
              Your shy and retiring temperament does not preclude your running
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 25, 2005
                > I don't see why this is (HD + TL). I haven't actually tried this
                yet,
                > I'm still working it out in my head. For a standard Character Hit
                Dice
                > equals Total Level, so a human 16th level wizard is

                Hm.. Perhaps try it you should. Know my way around LST I do, young
                grasshopper. :)

                > HD = 16
                > TL = 16

                Nope, Human 16th level Wizard is HD=0, TL=16

                > I would have thought that this would add 24 to the BAB, giving him
                an
                > attack progression of 30/25/20/15. Am I missing something?

                Yep, the definition of HD and TL in PCGen VAR terms. When looking at
                a BONUS or other LST syntax, you have to use those terms, not those
                of the game.

                HD = number of Total class levels of TYPE.Monster
                TL = number of Total class levels of TYPE.PC or NPC.

                therefore, (HD+TL) is the syntax for normal D20 "HD"

                Tir Gwaith
                LST Chimp
              • Michael
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 25, 2005
                  *laugh* Thoron, you are one "wild and craaAAAaazy guy". :-P

                  --- Andrew McDougall <thoron-tir-gwaith@...> wrote:

                  > > I don't see why this is (HD + TL). I haven't actually tried this
                  > yet,
                  > > I'm still working it out in my head. For a standard Character Hit
                  > Dice
                  > > equals Total Level, so a human 16th level wizard is
                  >
                  > Hm.. Perhaps try it you should. Know my way around LST I do, young
                  > grasshopper. :)

                  Somehow, hearing (in my head) Yoda counseling Kwai Chang Caine just made my
                  brain hurt... and made me laugh. Thanks. :-)

                  Michael
                • Eddy Anthony
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 25, 2005
                    On 7/25/05 3:14 PM, "Andrew McDougall" <thoron-tir-gwaith@...> wrote:

                    > Yep, the definition of HD and TL in PCGen VAR terms. When looking at
                    > a BONUS or other LST syntax, you have to use those terms, not those
                    > of the game.
                    >
                    > HD = number of Total class levels of TYPE.Monster
                    > TL = number of Total class levels of TYPE.PC or NPC.
                    >
                    > therefore, (HD+TL) is the syntax for normal D20 "HD"
                    >
                    > Tir Gwaith
                    > LST Chimp

                    This may be a bug but TL does include levels of TYPE.Monster as well as pure
                    hit dice when created in Default Monster Mode.

                    So TL is total levels of anything.

                    So a formula of (HD+TL) will return double the number of monster levels.

                    Like I said this may be a bug but it has worked this way for as long as I've
                    been using the program.
                    --
                    ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                    ~ PCGen Content Silverback
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 25, 2005
                      > This may be a bug but TL does include levels of TYPE.Monster as
                      well as pure
                      > hit dice when created in Default Monster Mode.
                      >
                      > So TL is total levels of anything.

                      Dang-nabbit. I've only had to flush that bug how many times?????

                      Yes, that's a code bug. Bad coders....

                      And they never really wanted to go to a system of VARs that could
                      actually be useful, like MD (Monster Dice), TEL (Total Effective
                      Level - for those ppl that like the Savage Species method <shudder>),
                      HD (total number of actual non-0 sized HD - again, for the Savage
                      Species method believers), TCL (Total Character Level - you know,
                      normal Class levels).... That sort of thing is much clearer than two
                      letters that get re-interpreted by different coders and 'fixed'
                      breaking things....

                      <mutters while wandering back into his cave>

                      Tir Gwaith
                      LST Chimp
                    • Andrew Wilson
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 30, 2005
                        On Mon, Jul 25, 2005 at 11:25:13AM -0000, Andrew McDougall wrote:
                        >> I'm trying to code up a PI EQMOD for my character's use, but I'm
                        >> stumped. I need an enhancement that will modify the characters Base
                        >> Attack Bonus (and hence affect his number of attacks) but only when
                        >> wielding this particular weapon.
                        >>
                        >> The EQMOD needs to raise the BAB to be 3/4 of TL, so for example a
                        >> 16th level wizard using the weapon has his BAB raised from 8 to 12 and
                        >> so his full attack is 12/7/2 with this modifier applied and 8/3
                        >> without it.
                        >
                        > BONUS:COMBAT|BAB|(HD+TL)*3/4|TYPE=Base
                        >
                        > This will only show up when the particular weapon is actually
                        > equipped (as opposed to carried).
                        >
                        > > Is it possible to show 3 attacks with this weapon and only 2 with
                        > > all others?
                        >
                        > No, the BAB will get changed for the character when the weapon is
                        > equipped...
                        >
                        > Ok, now if you want to really go out on a limb (I've done it lots,
                        > like when I first did the MM Dragons, etc....) If you don't, stop
                        > reading now.....
                        >
                        > I was thinking you might be able to do a workaround (using a formula
                        > like floor(((HD+TL)*3/4+4)/5)-floor((var("BONUS.COMBAT.BAB")+4)/5) ),
                        > but I can't figure a way to adjust it for a specific weapon. Unless
                        > BONUS:WEAPON|ATTACKS (or something similar) is valid...

                        It is indeed.

                        > BONUS:WEAPON|ATTACKS|floor(((HD+TL)*3/4+4)/5)-floor((var
                        > ("BONUS.COMBAT.BAB")+4)/5)
                        >
                        > BONUS:WEAPON|TOHIT|max((HD+TL)*3/4,BAB)-BAB

                        In case anyone was interested, I got this to work

                        BONUS:WEAPON|ATTACKS|max(floor(((HD+TL)-floor((HD+TL+3)/4)-BAB+4)/5),0)
                        BONUS:WEAPON|TOHIT|max((HD+TL)*3/4,BAB)-BAB

                        Raises the attack bonus and the number of attacks with the weapon it's
                        applied to and only the weapon it's applied to. :-)

                        Thanks again for the help Tir.

                        andrew
                        --
                        Taurus: (April. 20 - May 20)
                        In times of war, man must adopt the countenance of the tiger. But
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jul 30, 2005
                          On Sat, Jul 30, 2005 at 03:15:11PM +0000, Andrew Wilson wrote:
                          > In case anyone was interested, I got this to work
                          >
                          > BONUS:WEAPON|ATTACKS|max(floor(((HD+TL)-floor((HD+TL+3)/4)-BAB+4)/5),0)
                          > BONUS:WEAPON|TOHIT|max((HD+TL)*3/4,BAB)-BAB
                          >
                          > Raises the attack bonus and the number of attacks with the weapon it's
                          > applied to and only the weapon it's applied to. :-)

                          Damn! it's not working. The extra attack is going in at the highest
                          number instead of 5 less than the current lowest. I suppose that's
                          sensible enough, most extra attacks granted are at the highest attack
                          bonus, but this one shouldn't be.

                          andrew
                          --
                          Taurus: (April. 20 - May 20)
                          Certainly, the praying mantis is a fearsome-looking creature, but up