Re: [PCGenListFileHelp] FEAT composition question

  • Randy Shipp
    Message 1 of 24 , Jul 14, 2005
      On 7/14/05, Barak <barak@...> wrote:

      > See my last (next???) e-mail.
      >
      > Barak
      > Use the docs Luke!! :p

      ----------
      Thanks! I'm getting it, slowly. As for the docs, I'm using
      them...but, as you probably saw, they haven't always been my friend,
      trapping me for a long while this afternoon in a fruitless search for
      something that was, well, just wrong in the docs. Luckily, the group
      was here.

      But believe me, I'm wearing out the documentation! Thanks for your
      help as I get up to speed.

      Randy...
    • Eddy Anthony
      Message 2 of 24 , Jul 14, 2005
        Randy Shipp scribed:

        > Here's what I came up with:
        >
        > MyFeat
        > BENEFIT:MyFeat provides a dodge bonus to AC, based on the
        > character's base attack bonus and armor.
        > PREMULT:1,[PREFEAT:1,Dodge],[PREREGION:MySetting]
        > MULT:NO
        > TYPE:General
        > BONUS:COMBAT|AC|min(ceil(BAB/5),4)|TYPE=Dodge|PREEQUIP:0,TYPE=Armor
        >
        > BONUS:COMBAT|AC|max(((min(ceil(BAB/5),4))-1),0)|TYPE=Dodge|PREEQUIP:1,TYPE=Arm
        > or.Light
        >
        > BONUS:COMBAT|AC|max(((min(ceil(BAB/5),4))-2),0)|TYPE=Dodge|PREEQUIP:1,TYPE=Arm
        > or.Medium
        >
        > BONUS:COMBAT|AC|max(((min(ceil(BAB/5),4))-3),0)|TYPE=Dodge|PREEQUIP:1,TYPE=Arm
        > or.Heavy

        Here's a tip that might be useful, you can create a variable to consolidate
        the bonus into one tag, i.e.:
        ====================
        MyFeat
        BENEFIT:MyFeat provides a dodge bonus to AC, based on the character's base
        attack bonus and armor.
        PREMULT:1,[PREFEAT:1,Dodge],[PREREGION:MySetting]
        MULT:NO
        TYPE:General

        DEFINE:MyFeatDodgeBonus|0
        BONUS:VAR|MyFeatDodgeBonus|min(ceil(BAB/5),4)
        BONUS:VAR|MyFeatDodgeBonus|-1|PREEQUIP:1,TYPE=Armor.Light
        BONUS:VAR|MyFeatDodgeBonus|-2|PREEQUIP:1,TYPE=Armor.Medium
        BONUS:VAR|MyFeatDodgeBonus|-3|PREEQUIP:1,TYPE=Armor.Heavy

        BONUS:COMBAT|AC|max(0,MyFeatDodgeBonus)|TYPE=Dodge
        ====================

        There, the AC bonus is now 1 tag instead of 4, you can do other nifty things
        as well, suppose you have special armor which does not have this penalty for
        this feat, you can bonus the VAR to counter the bonus in the feat.
        --
        ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
        ~ PCGen Content Silverback
        Message 3 of 24 , Jul 14, 2005
          On 7/14/05, Eddy Anthony <eddyba@...> wrote:
          > Here's a tip that might be useful, you can create a variable to consolidate
          > the bonus into one tag, i.e.:

          ----------
          Cool beans, Eddy. Great stuff. I won't get a chance to work on this
          more until tomorrow, but I'll definitely try this out!

          Randy...
        • kigmatzomat
          Message 4 of 24 , Jul 15, 2005
            --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Randy Shipp
            <randyshipp@g...> wrote:
            > On 7/14/05, Randy Shipp <randyshipp@g...> wrote:
            >
            > ...or somesuch, I'd have an easy way to know that the person was not
            > wearing any armor. Since I don't think that's possible, how can I do
            > this?

            You could simplify it a bit by having it give the full unequipped mod
            and then apply a negative modifier based on armor worn.(PS: This is
            for illustration, I'm working without the docs so I might munge the code.)

            MyFeat
            BENEFIT:MyFeat provides a dodge bonus to AC, based on the
            character's base attack bonus and armor.
            PREMULT:1,[PREFEAT:1,Dodge],[PREREGION:MySetting]
            MULT:NO
            TYPE:General
            BONUS:COMBAT|AC|min(ceil(BAB/5),4)|TYPE=Dodge
            BONUS:COMBAT|AC|-1|TYPE=Dodge|PREEQUIP:1,TYPE=Armor.Light
            BONUS:COMBAT|AC|-2|TYPE=Dodge|PREEQUIP:1,TYPE=Armor.Medium
            BONUS:COMBAT|AC|-3|TYPE=Dodge|PREEQUIP:1,TYPE=Armor.Heavy

            It is inelegant and verbose, but simplistic, code.

            -James McP
          • Reed Thornton
            Message 5 of 24 , Jul 15, 2005
              On 7/15/05, kigmatzomat <jamesmcp@...> wrote:

              > You could simplify it a bit by having it give the full unequipped mod
              > and then apply a negative modifier based on armor worn.(PS: This is
              > for illustration, I'm working without the docs so I might munge the code.)
              >
              > MyFeat
              > BENEFIT:MyFeat provides a dodge bonus to AC, based on the
              > character's base attack bonus and armor.
              > PREMULT:1,[PREFEAT:1,Dodge],[PREREGION:MySetting]
              > MULT:NO
              > TYPE:General
              > BONUS:COMBAT|AC|min(ceil(BAB/5),4)|TYPE=Dodge
              > BONUS:COMBAT|AC|-1|TYPE=Dodge|PREEQUIP:1,TYPE=Armor.Light
              > BONUS:COMBAT|AC|-2|TYPE=Dodge|PREEQUIP:1,TYPE=Armor.Medium
              > BONUS:COMBAT|AC|-3|TYPE=Dodge|PREEQUIP:1,TYPE=Armor.Heavy
              >

              > It is inelegant and verbose, but simplistic, code.
              >
              > -James McP

              One problem with is that a Ftr1 wearing heavy armor (I know, most 1st level
              chars can't afford heavy armor, work with me here :) ) would have an AC mod
              of -2 rather than 0. I would modify it like this:
              MyFeat
              BENEFIT:MyFeat provides a dodge bonus to AC, based on the
              character's base attack bonus and armor.
              PREMULT:1,[PREFEAT:1,Dodge],[PREREGION:MySetting]
              MULT:NO
              TYPE:General
              BONUS:COMBAT|AC|min(ceil(BAB/5),4)|TYPE=Dodge|!PREEQUIP:1,TYPE=Armor
              BONUS:COMBAT|AC|max(min(ceil(BAB/5),4)-1,0)|TYPE=Dodge|PREEQUIP:1,TYPE=
              Armor.Light
              BONUS:COMBAT|AC|max(min(ceil(BAB/5),4)-2,0)|TYPE=Dodge|PREEQUIP:1,TYPE=
              Armor.Medium
              BONUS:COMBAT|AC|max(min(ceil(BAB/5),4)-3,0)|TYPE=Dodge|PREEQUIP:1,TYPE=
              Armor.Heavy

              The logic should work like this
              No Armor: ceiling of BAB/5 with an upper bound of 4 range 0-4
              Light Armor: the greater of (No Armor -1) and 0 range 0-3
              Medium Armor: the greater of (No Armor -2) and 0 range 0-2
              Heavy Armor: the greater of (No Armor -3) and 0 range 0-1
              Reed
              QA Silverback

            • Randy Shipp
              Message 6 of 24 , Jul 15, 2005
                On 7/15/05, Reed Thornton <reed.thornton@...> wrote:
                > The logic should work like this
                > No Armor: ceiling of BAB/5 with an upper bound of 4 range 0-4
                > Light Armor: the greater of (No Armor -1) and 0 range 0-3
                > Medium Armor: the greater of (No Armor -2) and 0 range 0-2
                > Heavy Armor: the greater of (No Armor -3) and 0 range 0-1
                > Reed

                ----------
                Here's what I ended up with, and seemed to work. I may yet go back
                and set up the variable as (I believe) Eddy suggested.

                MeFeat
                BENEFIT:MyFeat provides a dodge bonus to AC, based on the
                character's base attack bonus and armor.
                PREMULT:1,[PREFEAT:1,Dodge],[PREREGION:MyRegion]

                Message 7 of 24 , Jul 15, 2005
                  OK, I have a feat that (basically) give rogues the ability to Sneak
                  Attack constructs, Elementals, Oozes, Plants, or Undead. It can be
                  taken multiple times, each time choosing a different type. Is it
                  possible to get one feat to display this correctly, or will I need to
                  do something ugly like have this feat pop up a chooser showing a bunch
                  of other, hidden feats, one for each type?

                  I'd love to be able to do something like

                  MyFeat
                  DEFINE:AnalyzeType|CHOOSE|1,(Construct,Elemental,Ooze,Plant,Undead)
                  BENEFIT:You can Sneak Attack monsters of % type.|AnalyzeType

                  Any thoughts?

                  Randy...
                  Message 8 of 24 , Jul 16, 2005
                    DEFINE and BONUS only deal with VARs - that is, numerical values.

                    CHOOSE:Construct|Elemental|Ooze|Plant|Undead|1
                    DESC:You can Sneak Attack monsters of %CHOICE type.

                    Tir Gwaith
                    LST Chimp
                  • taluroniscandar
                    Message 9 of 24 , Jul 16, 2005
                      <thoron-tir-gwaith@l...> wrote:
                      > DEFINE and BONUS only deal with VARs - that is, numerical values.
                      >
                      > CHOOSE:Construct|Elemental|Ooze|Plant|Undead|1
                      > DESC:You can Sneak Attack monsters of %CHOICE type.

                      ALso need MULT:YES STACK:NO
                      Message 10 of 24 , Jul 16, 2005
                        > ALso need MULT:YES STACK:NO

                        Um, yeah. Sorry, I thought that would be understood.... Too much thinking
                        in LST, not enough thinking Newbie. :)

                        Tir Gwaith
                        LST Chimp
                      • Randy Shipp
                        Message 11 of 24 , Jul 18, 2005
                          On 7/16/05, taluroniscandar <mhgj@...> wrote:
                          > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Tir Gwaith"
                          > <thoron-tir-gwaith@l...> wrote:
                          > > DEFINE and BONUS only deal with VARs - that is, numerical values.
                          > >
                          > > CHOOSE:Construct|Elemental|Ooze|Plant|Undead|1
                          > > DESC:You can Sneak Attack monsters of %CHOICE type.
                          > >
                          > ALso need MULT:YES STACK:NO

                          Am I mistaken, or is it true that neither this use of CHOOSE nor this
                          use of CHOICE are documented? If they're not documented, should that
                          be submitted as a doc request of some sort?

                          Oh, and thanks for the tip! I'll give that a try.

                          Randy...