ADD & PRExxx ??

  • raxthegrey
    Message 1 of 23 , Jun 22, 2005
      Is there a way to put PRExxx tags on ADD tags? I've tried ADD:FEAT
      (foo)1|PRExxx:bar and ADD:FEAT(foo)1[PRExxx:bar] but I'm getting the
      chooser from the ADD tag each time it comes up, like it's ignoring the
      PRExxx.

      Rax the Grey
    • Chris
      Message 2 of 23 , Jun 22, 2005
        > Is there a way to put PRExxx tags on ADD tags? I've tried ADD:FEAT
        > (foo)1|PRExxx:bar and ADD:FEAT(foo)1[PRExxx:bar] but I'm getting the
        > chooser from the ADD tag each time it comes up, like it's ignoring
        > the PRExxx.

        In a word, no.

        What are you trying to accomplish? There may be a way or two around it.

        Barak
      • raxthegrey
        Message 3 of 23 , Jun 22, 2005
          --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <barak@v...> wrote:
          > > Is there a way to put PRExxx tags on ADD tags? I've tried ADD:FEAT
          > > (foo)1|PRExxx:bar and ADD:FEAT(foo)1[PRExxx:bar] but I'm getting
          the
          > > chooser from the ADD tag each time it comes up, like it's ignoring
          > > the PRExxx.
          >
          > In a word, no.
          >
          > What are you trying to accomplish? There may be a way or two around
          it.

          > Barak

          I've got a set of base classes Foo Strong, Foo Smart, and Foo Balanced
          that are all part of the Foo Knights orginization. When a character
          reaches 8th level they get a bonus feat for becoming a Foo Master.
          Since characters can't multiclass between the three this was easy at
          first, put the ADD tag on the 8th level line. Now I've got some Foo
          PrCs that count as Foo levels towards becoming a Foo Master. I've got
          a variable that tracks how many Foo levels a character has and I'm
          trying to get the bonus feat to ADD when the var hits 8. I've got an
          SA:Foo Master|PREVARGTEQ:FooLevel,8 tag on the first level line of the
          three base classes and it shows up at the correct time. Now I just
          need to get the feat to work.

          Rax the Grey
        • Frank Kliewe
          Message 4 of 23 , Jun 22, 2005
            >> > Is there a way to put PRExxx tags on ADD tags? I've tried ADD:FEAT
            >> > (foo)1|PRExxx:bar and ADD:FEAT(foo)1[PRExxx:bar] but I'm getting
            > the
            >> > chooser from the ADD tag each time it comes up, like it's ignoring
            >> > the PRExxx.
            >>
            >> In a word, no.
            >>
            >> What are you trying to accomplish? There may be a way or two around
            > it.
            >>
            >> Barak
            >
            > I've got a set of base classes Foo Strong, Foo Smart, and Foo Balanced
            > that are all part of the Foo Knights orginization. When a character
            > reaches 8th level they get a bonus feat for becoming a Foo Master.
            > Since characters can't multiclass between the three this was easy at
            > first, put the ADD tag on the 8th level line. Now I've got some Foo
            > PrCs that count as Foo levels towards becoming a Foo Master. I've got
            > a variable that tracks how many Foo levels a character has and I'm
            > trying to get the bonus feat to ADD when the var hits 8. I've got an
            > SA:Foo Master|PREVARGTEQ:FooLevel,8 tag on the first level line of the
            > three base classes and it shows up at the correct time. Now I just
            > need to get the feat to work.
            >
            > Rax the Grey

            Don't put the PRExxx statement on the ADD tag, but put it into the FEAT-line. Then call ADD:FEAT(Foo Master) from every level of the Foo classes up to level 8. If the prerequisite isn't met, the ADD:FEAT won't fire, because it has no eligible choices. Only at the time that the prerequisite is met, you should get your ADD:FEAT popup.

            Cheerio,

            Frank Kliewe
            PCGen Data Lemur
          • Reed Thornton
            Message 5 of 23 , Jun 22, 2005
              On 6/22/05, Frank Kliewe <fkliewe@...> wrote:
              > Don't put the PRExxx statement on the ADD tag, but put it into the FEAT-line. Then call ADD:FEAT(Foo Master) from every level of the Foo classes up to level 8. If the prerequisite isn't met, the ADD:FEAT won't fire, because it has no eligible choices. Only at the time that the prerequisite is met, you should get your ADD:FEAT popup.
              >
              > Cheerio,
              >
              > Frank Kliewe
              > PCGen Data Lemur

              Wouldn't he need to put those in the PrC class lines as well?

              Reed
              QA Silverback
            • Frank Kliewe
              Message 6 of 23 , Jun 22, 2005
                >> Don't put the PRExxx statement on the ADD tag, but put it into the FEAT-line. Then call ADD:FEAT(Foo Master) from every level of the Foo classes up to level 8. If the prerequisite isn't met, the ADD:FEAT won't fire, because it has no eligible choices. Only at the time that the prerequisite is met, you should get your ADD:FEAT popup.
                >>
                >> Cheerio,
                >>
                >> Frank Kliewe
                >> PCGen Data Lemur
                >
                > Wouldn't he need to put those in the PrC class lines as well?
                >
                > Reed
                > QA Silverback

                Yup. When I said Foo classes, this was not limited to the Foo Base classes, the Prestige ones as well.

                Cheerio,

                Frank Kliewe
                PCGen Data Lemur
              • raxthegrey
                Message 7 of 23 , Jun 23, 2005
                  --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Kliewe"
                  <fkliewe@t...> wrote:
> [...]

                  Thanks! That did the trick. It's horribly ugly though. Can we get a
                  FREQ to add PRExxx support to ADD? Preferably something like the way
                  it works with SA so that an ADD tag can be inserted in the level 1
                  class line with the PRExxx attached and it will fire when the
                  conditions are met.

                  Rax the Grey
                • taluroniscandar
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jun 23, 2005
                    --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "raxthegrey"
                    <raxthegrey@g...> wrote:
                    > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Kliewe"
                    > <fkliewe@t...> wrote:

                    Could you put it in a TEMPLATE, put that at 1st level and then put
                    conditions on the feat tag in template?
                  • taluroniscandar
                    Message 9 of 23 , Jun 23, 2005
                      <raxthegrey@g...> wrote:
                      > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Kliewe"
                      > <fkliewe@t...> wrote:

                      Or check out how the Bard or (autobuild) Soulknife is done with
                      VFEAT's with PRE's.
                      You could place it at first level with a PRE and the VAR would tell it
                      when to add the vfeat.
                      Maybe that would work for you.
                    • raxthegrey
                      Message 10 of 23 , Jun 23, 2005
                        --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "taluroniscandar"
                        <mhgj@e...> wrote:
                        > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "raxthegrey"
                        > <raxthegrey@g...> wrote:
                        > > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Kliewe"
                        > > <fkliewe@t...> wrote:

                        I need the added feat to pop off an ADD tag, which ADD is apparently
                        the only way to do. (e.g. if I have a feat Foo with ADD:FEAT
                        (TYPE=Bar) in it Foo has to be added with an ADD tag to get the
                        second ADD in the feat to fire.)

                        Rax the Grey
                      • taluroniscandar
                        Message 11 of 23 , Jun 23, 2005
                          > I need the added feat to pop off an ADD tag, which ADD is apparently
                          > the only way to do. (e.g. if I have a feat Foo with ADD:FEAT
                          > (TYPE=Bar) in it Foo has to be added with an ADD tag to get the
                          > second ADD in the feat to fire.)

                          Oh, yeah.

                          Hm, well this is convoluted but might work.

                          Create a template with the PREVAR assigned as 1st level. In that
                          template have a TEMPLATE:CHOOSE. Each of the templates in the CHOOSE
                          gives one of the feats in question.
                        • raxthegrey
                          Message 12 of 23 , Jun 23, 2005
                            <mhgj@e...> wrote:
                            > > I need the added feat to pop off an ADD tag, which ADD is
                            apparently
                            > > the only way to do. (e.g. if I have a feat Foo with ADD:FEAT
                            > > (TYPE=Bar) in it Foo has to be added with an ADD tag to get the
                            > > second ADD in the feat to fire.)
                            >
                            > Oh, yeah.
                            >
                            > Hm, well this is convoluted but might work.
                            >
                            > Create a template with the PREVAR assigned as 1st level. In that
                            > template have a TEMPLATE:CHOOSE. Each of the templates in the CHOOSE
                            > gives one of the feats in question.

                            That works almost perfectly, thanks! The only problem I've got now
                            is PrCs from other sources. I tried adding a
                            TEMPLATE:ADDCHOICE:FooMaster3 to the level 1 line of the PrC but it
                            looks like PCGen is trying to find a template named
                            ADDCHOICE:FooMaster3 and apply it instead of adding it to the list of
                            choices.

                            Rax the Grey
                          • Eddy Anthony
                            Message 13 of 23 , Jun 23, 2005
                              On 6/23/05 12:44 PM, "raxthegrey" <raxthegrey@...> wrote:

                              > That works almost perfectly, thanks! The only problem I've got now
                              > is PrCs from other sources. I tried adding a
                              > TEMPLATE:ADDCHOICE:FooMaster3 to the level 1 line of the PrC but it
                              > looks like PCGen is trying to find a template named
                              > ADDCHOICE:FooMaster3 and apply it instead of adding it to the list of
                              > choices.
                              >
                              > Rax the Grey

                              I don't think it works like that.

                              In the new source you need to MOD the template, add this to the new sources
                              template file:

                              MyTemplate.MOD
                              ADDCHOICE:FooMaster3

                              Where MyTemplate is the original template holding the TEMPLATE:CHOOSE:
                              --
                              ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                              ~ PCGen Content Silverback
                              Message 14 of 23 , Jun 23, 2005
                                --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Eddy Anthony <eddyba@m...>
                                wrote:
                                > On 6/23/05 12:44 PM, "raxthegrey" <raxthegrey@g...> wrote:
                                >
                                > > That works almost perfectly, thanks! The only problem I've got
                                now
                                > > is PrCs from other sources. I tried adding a
                                > > TEMPLATE:ADDCHOICE:FooMaster3 to the level 1 line of the PrC but
                                it
                                > > looks like PCGen is trying to find a template named
                                > > ADDCHOICE:FooMaster3 and apply it instead of adding it to the
                                list of
                                > > choices.
                                > >
                                > > Rax the Grey
                                >
                                > I don't think it works like that.
                                >
                                > In the new source you need to MOD the template, add this to the new
                                sources
                                > template file:
                                >
                                > MyTemplate.MOD
                                > ADDCHOICE:FooMaster3
                                >
                                > Where MyTemplate is the original template holding the
                                TEMPLATE:CHOOSE:
                                > --
                                > ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                                > ~ PCGen Content Silverback

                                Nope, that doesn't work either. The docs list TEMPLATE:ADDCHOICE as
                                a class tag, that's why I tried it there first.

                                Rax the Grey
                              • Eddy Anthony
                                Message 15 of 23 , Jun 23, 2005
                                  On 6/23/05 12:56 PM, "raxthegrey" <raxthegrey@...> wrote:

                                  >> template file:
                                  >>
                                  >> MyTemplate.MOD
                                  >> ADDCHOICE:FooMaster3
                                  >>
                                  >> Where MyTemplate is the original template holding the
                                  > TEMPLATE:CHOOSE:
                                  >> --
                                  >> ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                                  >> ~ PCGen Content Silverback
                                  >
                                  > Nope, that doesn't work either. The docs list TEMPLATE:ADDCHOICE as
                                  > a class tag, that's why I tried it there first.
                                  >
                                  > Rax the Grey

                                  I got my syntax wrong, its:

                                  MyTemplate.MOD
                                  TEMPLATE:ADDCHOICE:FooMaster3

                                  TEMPLATE:ADDCHOICE is also listed in a separate entry on the template page,
                                  my guess is that ADDCHOICE in a class will only add to a TEMPLATE:CHOOSE in
                                  the same class, otherwise how does it know which TEMPLATE:CHOOSE tag to add
                                  to. Conversely, if your TEMPLATE:CHOOSE is in a template the ADDCHOICE needs
                                  to be in the same template (by way of a .MOD)

                                  I'm just theorizing, I don't have time to test it just this moment.
                                  --
                                  ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                                  ~ PCGen Content Silverback
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Jun 23, 2005
                                    <raxthegrey@g...> wrote:
                                    > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Eddy Anthony <eddyba@m...>
                                    > wrote:
                                    > > On 6/23/05 12:44 PM, "raxthegrey" <raxthegrey@g...> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > > That works almost perfectly, thanks! The only problem I've got
                                    > now
                                    > > > is PrCs from other sources. I tried adding a
                                    > > > TEMPLATE:ADDCHOICE:FooMaster3 to the level 1 line of the PrC but
                                    > it
                                    > > > looks like PCGen is trying to find a template named
                                    > > > ADDCHOICE:FooMaster3 and apply it instead of adding it to the
                                    > list of
                                    > > > choices.

                                    AFAIK just use TEMPLATE:FooMaster3

                                    Wait, what are you doing here?

                                    If the Prc add to the levels of the core (20 lvl) class to determine
                                    when you get the effects of the template then (presumably) you have to
                                    have at least one level in the first class which will give the
                                    Template. In the Prc you should only have to increase the VAR.

                                    Right, back to the original post, Foo Strong, Foo Smart, and Foo
                                    Balanced, all have the tempate at first level and then the PrC should
                                    only have BONUS:VAR|FooLevel|x*.

                                    *Unless the PrC can be taken without levels in Foo Strong, Foo Smart,
                                    or Foo Balanced, in which case it would also have the base Template at
                                    level one. But (IMO) that would mean the PrC isn't a PrC but a runt
                                    core class.
                                  • raxthegrey
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Jun 23, 2005
                                      <mhgj@e...> wrote:
                                      > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "raxthegrey"
                                      > <raxthegrey@g...> wrote:
                                      > > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Eddy Anthony
                                      <eddyba@m...>
                                      > > wrote:

                                      > > now
                                      > > it
                                      > > list of
                                      > > > >

                                      > AFAIK just use TEMPLATE:FooMaster3
                                      >
                                      > Wait, what are you doing here?
                                      >
                                      > If the Prc add to the levels of the core (20 lvl) class to determine
                                      > when you get the effects of the template then (presumably) you have
                                      > have at least one level in the first class which will give the
                                      > Template. In the Prc you should only have to increase the VAR.
                                      >
                                      > Right, back to the original post, Foo Strong, Foo Smart, and Foo
                                      > Balanced, all have the tempate at first level and then the PrC
                                      should
                                      > only have BONUS:VAR|FooLevel|x*.
                                      >
                                      > *Unless the PrC can be taken without levels in Foo Strong, Foo
                                      Smart,
                                      > or Foo Balanced, in which case it would also have the base Template
                                      at
                                      > level one. But (IMO) that would mean the PrC isn't a PrC but a runt
                                      > core class.

                                      Yes the PrCs add to levels of the Base classes via VAR, but they have
                                      a different choice of feats when Foo Master is reached than the base
                                      classes. e.g. Level 8 Foo Smart gets a choice of five feats for
                                      reaching Foo Master. Level 5 Foo Smart/Level 3 Foo Cool gets a
                                      different selection of feats for reaching Foo Master.

                                      I wound up going with a hybrid that seems to work. I use the
                                      TEMPLATE method for core rules PrCs and Base classes; and the ADD:FEAT
                                      () every level for the non-core PrCs. Still ugly, but it works. I
                                      still think a better solution would be to make ADD:FEAT()|PRExxx work
                                      so that it fires the chooser when the PRExxx is met at a later
                                      level. With this it would be a simple ADD:FEAT(TYPE=FooMaster)
                                      1|PREVAR:FooLevel,8 in the level 1 line of each base class. SA works
                                      this way so I don't see any reason why ADD can't as well.

                                      Rax the Grey
                                    • taluroniscandar
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Jun 23, 2005
                                        > should
                                        > > only have BONUS:VAR|FooLevel|x*.
                                        > >
                                        > > *Unless the PrC can be taken without levels in Foo Strong, Foo
                                        > Smart,
                                        > > or Foo Balanced, in which case it would also have the base Template
                                        > at
                                        > > level one. But (IMO) that would mean the PrC isn't a PrC but a runt
                                        > > core class.
                                        >
                                        > Yes the PrCs add to levels of the Base classes via VAR, but they have
                                        > a different choice of feats when Foo Master is reached than the base
                                        > classes. e.g. Level 8 Foo Smart gets a choice of five feats for
                                        > reaching Foo Master. Level 5 Foo Smart/Level 3 Foo Cool gets a
                                        > different selection of feats for reaching Foo Master.

                                        Create a different TEMPLATE with TEMPLATE:CHOOSE for each class with
                                        the appropriate selections.

                                        > I wound up going with a hybrid that seems to work. I use the
                                        > TEMPLATE method for core rules PrCs and Base classes; and the ADD:FEAT
                                        > () every level for the non-core PrCs. Still ugly, but it works. I
                                        > still think a better solution would be to make ADD:FEAT()|PRExxx work
                                        > so that it fires the chooser when the PRExxx is met at a later
                                        > level. With this it would be a simple ADD:FEAT(TYPE=FooMaster)
                                        > 1|PREVAR:FooLevel,8 in the level 1 line of each base class. SA works
                                        > this way so I don't see any reason why ADD can't as well.

                                        I think there is a request for this.
                                      • raxthegrey
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Jun 23, 2005
                                          <mhgj@e...> wrote:

                                          > > should
                                          > > > only have BONUS:VAR|FooLevel|x*.
                                          > > >
                                          > > > *Unless the PrC can be taken without levels in Foo Strong, Foo
                                          > > Smart,
                                          > > > or Foo Balanced, in which case it would also have the base Template
                                          > > at
                                          > > > level one. But (IMO) that would mean the PrC isn't a PrC but a runt
                                          > > > core class.
                                          > >
                                          > > Yes the PrCs add to levels of the Base classes via VAR, but they have
                                          > > a different choice of feats when Foo Master is reached than the base
                                          > > classes. e.g. Level 8 Foo Smart gets a choice of five feats for
                                          > > reaching Foo Master. Level 5 Foo Smart/Level 3 Foo Cool gets a
                                          > > different selection of feats for reaching Foo Master.
                                          >
                                          > Create a different TEMPLATE with TEMPLATE:CHOOSE for each class with
                                          > the appropriate selections.

                                          *Smacks forehead* DUH! Although I seem to have broken it while
                                          tweaking some other stuff. It was adding the template at first level,
                                          well before the PREVAR should be qualifying. The console showed me
                                          that the VAR was not the value that should fire the template. I added
                                          the PREVAR to the base template and now it waits to add the template
                                          until the correct level, but it doesn't fire the chooser.

                                          > > I wound up going with a hybrid that seems to work. I use the
                                          > > TEMPLATE method for core rules PrCs and Base classes; and the ADD:FEAT
                                          > > () every level for the non-core PrCs. Still ugly, but it works. I
                                          > > still think a better solution would be to make ADD:FEAT()|PRExxx work
                                          > > so that it fires the chooser when the PRExxx is met at a later
                                          > > level. With this it would be a simple ADD:FEAT(TYPE=FooMaster)
                                          > > 1|PREVAR:FooLevel,8 in the level 1 line of each base class. SA works
                                          > > this way so I don't see any reason why ADD can't as well.
                                          >
                                          > I think there is a request for this.

                                          Good, hopefully some kind code monkey can make it a reality soon. :)

                                          Rax the Grey
                                        • raxthegrey
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Jun 24, 2005
                                            <raxthegrey@g...> wrote:
                                            > *Smacks forehead* DUH! Although I seem to have broken it while
                                            > tweaking some other stuff. It was adding the template at first
                                            level,
                                            > well before the PREVAR should be qualifying. The console showed me
                                            > that the VAR was not the value that should fire the template. I
                                            added
                                            > the PREVAR to the base template and now it waits to add the template
                                            > until the correct level, but it doesn't fire the chooser.

                                            OK, still having trouble with this. I opened up the console while I
                                            leveled up a character with the Foo Smart class and it spit out a
                                            message that it can't find a template called PREVAREQ:FooLevel,8 for
                                            each level. This is from the TEMPLATE:Foo Master|PREVAREQ:FooLevel,8
                                            tag in the level 1 line. I tried it with [] around the PRExxx
                                            instead of the | but it does the same thing. If I remove the
                                            templates manually at 7th level and then level up to 8 it works fine.

                                            Rax the Grey
                                          • taluroniscandar
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Jun 24, 2005
                                              <raxthegrey@g...> wrote:
                                              > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "raxthegrey"
                                              > <raxthegrey@g...> wrote:
                                              > > *Smacks forehead* DUH! Although I seem to have broken it while
                                              > > tweaking some other stuff. It was adding the template at first
                                              > level,
                                              > > well before the PREVAR should be qualifying. The console showed me
                                              > > that the VAR was not the value that should fire the template. I
                                              > added
                                              > > the PREVAR to the base template and now it waits to add the template
                                              > > until the correct level, but it doesn't fire the chooser.
                                              >
                                              > OK, still having trouble with this. I opened up the console while I
                                              > leveled up a character with the Foo Smart class and it spit out a
                                              > message that it can't find a template called PREVAREQ:FooLevel,8 for
                                              > each level. This is from the TEMPLATE:Foo Master|PREVAREQ:FooLevel,8
                                              > tag in the level 1 line. I tried it with [] around the PRExxx
                                              > instead of the | but it does the same thing. If I remove the
                                              > templates manually at 7th level and then level up to 8 it works fine.

                                              With a template you put the PRE free-standing in the template not on
                                              the TEMPLATE tag.
                                            • raxthegrey
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Jun 24, 2005
                                                <mhgj@e...> wrote:
                                                > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "raxthegrey"
                                                > <raxthegrey@g...> wrote:
                                                > > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "raxthegrey"
                                                > > <raxthegrey@g...> wrote:
                                                > > > *Smacks forehead* DUH! Although I seem to have broken it while
                                                > > > tweaking some other stuff. It was adding the template at first
                                                > > level,
                                                > > > well before the PREVAR should be qualifying. The console
                                                showed me
                                                > > > that the VAR was not the value that should fire the template.
                                                > > added
                                                > > > the PREVAR to the base template and now it waits to add the
                                                template
                                                > > > until the correct level, but it doesn't fire the chooser.
                                                > >
                                                > > OK, still having trouble with this. I opened up the console
                                                while I
                                                > > leveled up a character with the Foo Smart class and it spit out a
                                                > > message that it can't find a template called PREVAREQ:FooLevel,8
                                                for
                                                > > each level. This is from the TEMPLATE:Foo
                                                Master|PREVAREQ:FooLevel,8
                                                > > tag in the level 1 line. I tried it with [] around the PRExxx
                                                > > instead of the | but it does the same thing. If I remove the
                                                > > templates manually at 7th level and then level up to 8 it works
                                                fine.

                                                > With a template you put the PRE free-standing in the template not on
                                                > the TEMPLATE tag.

                                                Still no good. It stopped complaining, but it's not firing the
                                                CHOOSE tag at 8th level. I can add one of the templates that it
                                                allows you to choose from manually and it works fine.

                                                I tried it with the PREVAR tag in the main template and then moved it
                                                to the individual subtemplates and neither fires the CHOOSE.

                                                I think I'm going to go back to the ADD:FEAT every level method, at
                                                least until I get my ADD:x()|PRExxx. It's ugly as hell but it
                                                works. Thanks for you help! :)

                                                Rax the Grey
                                              • Paul W. King
                                                Message 23 of 23 , Jul 2 3:55 AM