Feat Files

  • Chris Dudley
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 12, 2005
      I have a problem with data causing the feat display to work improperly.

      I have created a whole data set for a 3rd party sourcebook. In it, there is
      a feat that allows the PC to select an organization to join, which grants
      special abilities. I have written this as a feat of the GENERAL type that
      allows the the PC to select a feat from the ORGANIZATION type. Regular feats
      are in file foo_feats.lst as usual.

      I have the ORGANIZATION type feats in a separate file foo_feats_hidden.lst,
      because I want them hidden. The visibility is set to EXPORT, and the type is
      FooOrganization.

      Now when I bring up PCGen and the SRD (this is for 3.0) basics and my data
      set, the feat tab is screwed up. If the initial display is set to Type/Name,
      it shows the visible feats from SRD and the Foo set. If it's set to the Name
      order display, or if I change it to the Name order display, the feat list
      goes blank.

      I'm pretty sure this is because of the FooOrganization type feat list
      because when I comment out the feat line for it in the .pcc file, the
      problem goes away.

      And it doesn't seem to be the fault of the actual data in the file, because
      I've commented out every line of data and I still get the error.

      There are no errors in the console when I load the data.

      Using PCGen 5.8.0 release date May 25, 2005 on Windows ME.
    • Chris Dudley
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 12, 2005
        From: "Chris Dudley" <eolas@...>
        > Now when I bring up PCGen and the SRD (this is for 3.0) basics and my data
        > set, the feat tab is screwed up. If the initial display is set to
        Type/Name,
        > it shows the visible feats from SRD and the Foo set. If it's set to the
        Name
        > order display, or if I change it to the Name order display, the feat list
        > goes blank.

        I just tried combining the feats into one file, and it doesn't do this when
        all the feats are together. I guess I could fix it that way, but I see that
        the SRD feats are in separate files, and I'd like to follow the coding
        conventions.
      • taluroniscandar
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 13, 2005
          --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Dudley" <eolas@p...>
          wrote:
          > From: "Chris Dudley" <eolas@p...>
          > > Now when I bring up PCGen and the SRD (this is for 3.0) basics and
          my data
          > > set, the feat tab is screwed up. If the initial display is set to
          > Type/Name,
          > > it shows the visible feats from SRD and the Foo set. If it's set
          to the
          > Name
          > > order display, or if I change it to the Name order display, the
          feat list
          > > goes blank.

          This is the behavour you get from pcgen when there is a "space"
          somewhere instead of a tab.

          Sinve it didn't do this when you combined the two files check on any
          lines you deleted for extraneous spaces.
        • Chris Dudley
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 13, 2005
            From: "taluroniscandar" <mhgj@...>
            > > From: "Chris Dudley" <eolas@p...>
            > This is the behavour you get from pcgen when there is a "space"
            > somewhere instead of a tab.
            >
            > Sinve it didn't do this when you combined the two files check on any
            > lines you deleted for extraneous spaces.

            Most odd. I'm sure you're right, but I can't for the life of me find it.
            Since they're working fine as one big happy feat file, I guess I'll leave
            them that way for now and search with more detail when I get everything else
            working. The feats_descriptions.lst file loads as a separate file just fine.

            Thanks.
          • Reed Thornton
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 13, 2005
              On 6/13/05, Chris Dudley <eolas@...> wrote:
              > Most odd. I'm sure you're right, but I can't for the life of me find it.
              > Since they're working fine as one big happy feat file, I guess I'll leave
              > them that way for now and search with more detail when I get everything else
              > working. The feats_descriptions.lst file loads as a separate file just fine.
              >
              > Thanks.

              You might have had some white space on a line by itself and not
              noticed. Most "modern" editors have a hard time helping you find
              things like that since they generally ignore the white space that
              you're looking for :-)

              Reed
              QA Silverback