Re: [PCGenListFileHelp] Problem with feat/template interoperability

  • Truth
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 1, 2005
      On 6/2/05, boomer70 <boomer70@...> wrote:
      > Hi All,
      > I have started work on the Against the Shadow supplement and I am banging my head against a wall trying to get this stuff coded so perhaps I need a fresh perspective.
      >
      > I am trying to code the Heroic Path stuff. As I see it the only (and probably most logical) way to do it is through a template. So far so good. So I have created a template for Heroic Path (Elementalborn) for example. Here is were my problems begin. Because there is no consistancy between the handling of tags between the different list files I am running into problems that I just am not sure how to solve. For example, in the elementalborn path at 2nd level you get an elemental aspect which allows the choice of several different abilities some of which are stackable. The only way I know to allow the stacking of abilities is through feats. The problem then is that nothing I try will allow me to display the list of feats to choose from from within a template. If I try and do the feat choosing in the feat file through a single feat added by the template, the chooser for the feat does not get invoked even though it does if I add the feat through the feat panel.
      > I have been wrestling with this sort of inconsistance support and behaviour of tags between files for a couple of days now so any insight would be greatly appreciated.

      Shouldn't you be able to use a normal ADD:FEAT() tag?

      --
      Truth.
      There is no religion higher than the Truth.
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 1, 2005
        I cannot comment on the Heroic Path stuff as I do not have that, sorry.

        About the Feat / Template problem:
        How do you call the FEAT from the TEMPLATE? To get a popup-chooser you have to use ADD:FEAT.

        Do you have MULT:YES set? Is there at least one selectable FEAT that is eligible?

        Cheerio,

        Frank Kliewe
        PCGen Data Lemur

[...]

        -Aaron

        Eddy Anthony <eddyba@...> wrote:
        On 5/27/05 4:33 PM, "Golden Greyhawk DM" <boomer70@...> wrote:

        I have been working on the UA bloodline stuff and am basically done except for a few issues and scads of testing. I did find Against the Shadow so if you still want it coded count me in. I am trying to tackle a few bugs on the java side as well so I probably won't have this one coded quite as quickly. :)

        AtS would be great, things usually get done at a molasas slow rate around here, just don't burn yourself out. Good luck with the Java bugs.
        --
        ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
        ~ PCGen Content Silverback

        PCGen Data Lemur

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Eddy Anthony
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 2, 2005
          On 6/1/05 5:00 PM, "boomer70" <boomer70@...> wrote:

          > I am trying to code the Heroic Path stuff. As I see it the only (and probably
          > most logical) way to do it is through a template.

          I came to that conclusion as well, the Heroic paths are the only items left
          to do in the main set (I think). I did the first one as a test to see if it
          could be done on one template. Most of them can but some (like
          Elementalborn) offer choices at character levels past first.

          > So far so good. So I have
          > created a template for Heroic Path (Elementalborn) for example. Here is were
          > my problems begin. Because there is no consistancy between the handling of
          > tags between the different list files I am running into problems that I just
          > am not sure how to solve. For example, in the elementalborn path at 2nd level
          > you get an elemental aspect which allows the choice of several different
          > abilities some of which are stackable. The only way I know to allow the
          > stacking of abilities is through feats. The problem then is that nothing I
          > try will allow me to display the list of feats to choose from from within a
          > template. If I try and do the feat choosing in the feat file through a single
          > feat added by the template, the chooser for the feat does not get invoked even
          > though it does if I add the feat through the feat panel.

          Unfortunately there may be no way to code this at this time, this is the
          same problem which the Dawnforge set suffers from, there are only 2 tags
          which let you grant level based abilities outside of classes (HD and LEVEL),
          and those tags have proven themselves to be sufficiently buggy as to be
          almost useless mainly because they were designed to grant auto feats and not
          to present choices. I would not recommend messing with them.

          I've proposed a replacement tag LEVELS:
          <https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1212315&group_id=
          25576&atid=384722> but that doesn't help you here and now does it.

          I would recommend creating sub-templates to hold the choices which the user
          can apply manually, you could then set up a VAR prerequisite so that only so
          many of those can be added at a certain level. This way you can at least get
          all the abilities in and working correctly, we can always go back later and
          re-engineer the choices.
          --
          ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
          ~ PCGen Content Silverback
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 2, 2005

            > Unfortunately there may be no way to code this at this time,
            > this is the same problem which the Dawnforge set suffers
            > from, there are only 2 tags which let you grant level based
            > abilities outside of classes (HD and LEVEL), and those tags
            > have proven themselves to be sufficiently buggy as to be
            > almost useless mainly because they were designed to grant
            > auto feats and not to present choices. I would not recommend
            > messing with them.
            >
            > I've proposed a replacement tag LEVELS:
            > <https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=121
            > 2315&group_id=
            > 25576&atid=384722> but that doesn't help you here and now does it.

            Can you have the LEVEL tag apply a hidden template that does the
            choosing?

            Paul G.
          • Eddy Anthony
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 2, 2005
              On 6/2/05 11:31 AM, "Paul Grosse" <paul.grosse@...> wrote:

              > Can you have the LEVEL tag apply a hidden template that does the
              > choosing?

              No, the LEVEL tag does not apply templates.

              You can get it to offer feat choices by having it apply a feat type but it
              does not check the feat prerequisites or even if you have the feat. There
              are also problems with how it deals with the feat pool, feats added this way
              count against normally granted feats so if you are using hidden feats this
              way you need to make them COST:0 so the won't.

              Like I said, it's a frustrating tag.
              --
              ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
              ~ PCGen Content Silverback
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 2, 2005
                > On 6/1/05 5:00 PM, "boomer70" <boomer70@...> wrote:
                > almost useless mainly because they were designed to grant auto feats
                > and not to present choices. I would not recommend messing with them.

                Actually, I had LEVEL fixed to provide choices before 5.6 (at least for
                feats) and it was working fine last time I checked it... I would bet
                it still is since Byngyl coded it. *grin*

                I'll find the syntax at home tonight and post it then.

                Barak
              • Eddy Anthony
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 2, 2005
                  On 6/2/05 1:48 PM, "Chris" <barak@...> wrote:

                  > Actually, I had LEVEL fixed to provide choices before 5.6 (at least for
                  > feats) and it was working fine last time I checked it... I would bet
                  > it still is since Byngyl coded it. *grin*
                  >
                  > I'll find the syntax at home tonight and post it then.
                  >
                  > Barak

                  Oh it does provide choices, that's not the problem.

                  I know of two issues:

                  1) When providing the feat choices the prereqs for the feats are not checked
                  so you will be offered all of the feats of that type even if you don't
                  qualify for some.

                  2) When adding feats with this tag the feat pool is diminished for each feat
                  added unlike when you use ADD:FEAT or FEATAUTO.
                  --
                  ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                  ~ PCGen Content Silverback
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 2, 2005
                    Actually that is not the behaviour I see using 5.8.0 stable. Using LEVEL:X:FEAT does not seem to decrease the feat pool for me.
                    Here is the code I tested with:
                    TEMPLATES:
                    Template with Simple Feat VISIBLE:YES LEVEL:2:FEAT:Simple Feat
                    # Works fine

                    Template with Feat with Template VISIBLE:YES LEVEL:3:FEAT:Feat With Template
                    Simple Template VISIBLE:YES SA:Simple Template
                    # Adds feat does not add template. Works fine if I manually add the feat.

                    Template with Feat with ADD VISIBLE:YES LEVEL:4:FEAT:Feat With ADD
                    # Does not add feat at all. No chooser displayed (obviously)

                    Template with Feat with Choice VISIBLE:YES LEVEL:5:FEAT:Feat with Choice
                    # Works fine

                    Template with Feat with CHOOSE FEATADD VISIBLE:YES LEVEL:6:FEAT:Feat with CHOOSE FEATADD
                    # Works fine except it doesn't add the feat it adds Feat with CHOOSE FEATADD(Add Feat Two). I can't add the feat itself because of the ADD:FEAT() problem above. Obeys the PREREQs.

                    FEATS:
                    Simple Feat TYPE:Special VISIBLE:YES
                    Feat With Template TYPE:Special VISIBLE:YES TEMPLATE:Simple Template
                    Feat With ADD TYPE:Special VISIBLE:YES MULT:YES STACK:NO ADD:FEAT(TYPE=AddFeats)
                    Add Feat One TYPE:AddFeats VISIBLE:YES SA:Add Feat One
                    Add Feat Two TYPE:AddFeats VISIBLE:YES SA:Add Feat Two
                    Add Feat Three TYPE:AddFeats VISIBLE:YES SA:Add Feat Three PRERACE:Elf
                    Add Feat Four TYPE:AddFeats VISIBLE:YES SA:Add Feat Four PRERACE:Human
                    Feat with Choice TYPE:Special VISIBLE:YES MULT:YES CHOOSE:Choice One|Choice Two
                    Feat with CHOOSE FEATADD TYPE:Special VISIBLE:YES MULT:YES CHOOSE:FEATADD|TYPE=AddFeats ADD:FEAT(%CHOICE)1

                    So overall I see a couple of bugs. Adding a feat using FEAT in a template causes ADD:FEAT() from that feat to not work. Adding a feat that adds a template does not work when that feat is added from a template. These two bugs are a big problem for me implementing both bloodlines from UA and Heroic Paths.

                    -Aaron

                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 2, 2005
                      > So overall I see a couple of bugs. Adding a feat using FEAT in a
                      >template causes ADD:FEAT() from that feat to not work. Adding a feat
                      >that adds a template does not work when that feat is added from a
                      >template. These two bugs are a big problem for me implementing both
                      >bloodlines from UA and Heroic Paths.

                      I think you're falling victim to not understanding completely how PCGen
                      works...

                      There is exactly ONE way to fire a feat that has choices to it and get
                      a chooser... and that is to use ADD:FEAT. *NOTHING* else will pop the
                      chooser for the feat.

                      Try using ADD:FEAT where you were using FEAT and see what happens.

                      TEMPLATE:CHOOSE is another good way to go.

                      Barak
                    • Eddy Anthony
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 2, 2005
                        I believe the syntax which Barak spoke of is:

                        LEVEL:6:FEAT:TYPE.Fighter

                        Which should grant a pop up choice of Fighter type feats, this may be useful
                        in your experimentation.

                        On 6/2/05 2:39 PM, "boomer70" <boomer70@...> wrote:

                        > Actually that is not the behaviour I see using 5.8.0 stable. Using
                        > LEVEL:X:FEAT does not seem to decrease the feat pool for me.

                        At one point in the recent past this was a problem which I had to compensate
                        for in the Spycraft set. *sigh* I guess I'll have to go look at that again
                        to see if my work around has now become a bug. One of my biggest gripes with
                        this tag is that the problems with it seem to change on a monthly basis.
                        Currently their are 2 open bug trackers connected to it:

                        [ 1183949 ] Template Tag, LEVEL:x:DR:x/x not behaving as expected
                        <https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1183949&group_id=
                        25576&atid=384719>

                        [ 1096938 ] LEVEL tag not adjusting feat pool correctly
                        <https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1096938&group_id=
                        25576&atid=384719>
                        --
                        ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                        ~ PCGen Content Silverback

                        Message 11 of 14 , Jun 2, 2005
                          Chris <barak@...> wrote:
                          > So overall I see a couple of bugs. Adding a feat using FEAT in a
                          >template causes ADD:FEAT() from that feat to not work. Adding a feat
                          >that adds a template does not work when that feat is added from a
                          >template. These two bugs are a big problem for me implementing both
                          >bloodlines from UA and Heroic Paths.

                          I think you're falling victim to not understanding completely how PCGen
                          works...

                          There is exactly ONE way to fire a feat that has choices to it and get
                          a chooser... and that is to use ADD:FEAT. *NOTHING* else will pop the
                          chooser for the feat.

                          Try using ADD:FEAT where you were using FEAT and see what happens.

                          Sorry I am a little confused, where exactly do you think I should use ADD:FEAT? I am trying to use ADD:FEAT from within a feat that is applied by a template. If I take the ADD:FEAT out of the feat and put it directly into the template it works fine but that doesn't solve my problem. I need the feat to be added based on level. Even though it is not documented I tried LEVEL:X:ADD:FEAT(X) and it silently does nothing.

                          TEMPLATE:CHOOSE is another good way to go.

                          TEMPLATE:CHOOSE also will not work here because it evalutes the PRELEVEL tag at the time the template is added and doesn't add the template if it fails.

                          -Aaron

                        • Chris
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jun 2, 2005
                            > is not documented I tried LEVEL:X:ADD:FEAT(X) and it silently does

                            Ok... try

                            LEVEL:#:FEAT:TYPE.type

                            Barak
                          • boomer70
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jun 2, 2005
                              Doh! I really should have RTFM'd. Anyway thanks for the tip. It has helped quite a bit with the heroic path stuff. I have managed to make it all the way to level 4. Yahoo!

                              However I have come across an interesting behaviour and I am sure it must be something I am doing. I have a feat that I added using the snazzy new tag you tipped me to and it works great except it is a MULT:YES STACK:YES tag with a BONUS:SKILL|X|2 tag inside it. Now everytime I level the character it is adding the bonus :(

                              -Aaron