RE: [PCGenListFileHelp] Re: .MOD in spells, question

  • groups@mjsmith.me.uk
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 7, 2003
      Message
      Why not spend the hours writing a little conversion utility?
      Then you can share that with everybody else, so it will only take them minutes.

      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 7, 2003
        I'm wondering if the Spell Editor that is in the pipeline for
        creation and addition to PCGen will ease the creation of new
        spellcasting classes with unique spell lists.

      • bd_92 <bd_92@yahoo.com>
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 7, 2003
          Like what? Say "Pick your spells here that are part of this class and
          level and then hit the big GO button?" I wish i were that good...the
          only thing i can think of would be a linux shell script that MIGHT do
          that and that would take some thought..perl can do this maybe...

        • Felipe F. Diniz <fdiniz@imagelink.com.br>
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 8, 2003
            You could right a script that convert

            CLASS:name
            level1<tab>SPELL1|SPELL2
            level2<tab>SPELL3|SPELL4

            SPELL1.MOD<tab>CLASS:CLASSNAME=level1
            SPELL2.MOD<tab>CLASS:CLASSNAME=level2
            SPELL3.MOD<tab>CLASS:CLASSNAME=level3
            SPELL4.MOD<tab>CLASS:CLASSNAME=level4

            Felipe

            --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "bd_92 <bd_92@y...>"
            <bd_92@y...> wrote:
            > Like what? Say "Pick your spells here that are part of this class
            and
            > level and then hit the big GO button?" I wish i were that
            good...the
            > only thing i can think of would be a linux shell script that MIGHT
            do
            > that and that would take some thought..perl can do this maybe...
            >
            > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, <groups@m...> wrote:
            > > Why not spend the hours writing a little conversion utility?
            > > Then you can share that with everybody else, so it will only take
            > them
            > > minutes.

          • Patryk Adamski
            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 8, 2003
              I foresee a big problem with spells in near future since instead of
              defining spell progression through classes (i.e. spell list defined in
              classes), it is attempted to define spell progression through spell
              descriptions.
              Unfortunately, the MOD solution is going to cause more and more grief
              with each new supplement released... but the worst is still to come:
              imagine a game master trying to join TWO different game lines with new
              basic using spell lists of core basic classes. For example, let's say we
              have a class called Ascetic, a cleric following tenets of poverty and
              self-flagellation. The class uses all cleric spells, but in return of
              harsh tenets, it can cast also druid spells. Now, modding all available
              Cleric spells, especially from such strongly influenced by clerics
              settings like Scarred Lands, would be a struggle, right?

              So how about
              SPELLIST.INHERIT:Cleric,0,9|Druid,0,3
              tag?

              The syntax would be like this:
              SPELLLIST.INHERIT:<already defined class name>,<starting level to
              inherit>,<max level to inherit>

              The solution is not perfect, but I think we need some general spelllist
              manipulation tags. Badly.

              Regards,
              Ruemere
              --
              Patryk email >> ruemere@...
              Adamski www >> www.ruemere.linart.pl

              ***************r-e-k-l-a-m-a**************

              Chcesz oszczedzic na kosztach obslugi bankowej ?
              mBIZNES - konto dla firm
              http://epieniadze.onet.pl/mbiznes
            • Mynex
              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 8, 2003
                Uh, if the lists are the same, then you would use SPELLLIST:Druid (or
                SPELLLIST:1,Druid - can't rem offhand)..

                That's simple, copying whole spell lists over... the issue is when we
                get into custom spell lists. No the .MOD solution wasn't/isn't perfect,
                but once the spell editor is finished, it shouldn't be an issue.

                And the .MOD is only an issue if you're playing with the data files for
                your own ends... unless you're a data monkey and then you belong to us,
                and if you belong to us, stop complaining or I'll start tweaking you
                soul! :p

                Mynex
                - Code Monkey Publishing Co-Founder (www.codemonkeypublishing.com)
                - PCGen's #1 Evil Assistant
                - PCGen Data & Doc Silverback

                I foresee a big problem with spells in near future since instead of
                defining spell progression through classes (i.e. spell list defined in
                classes), it is attempted to define spell progression through spell
                descriptions.
                Unfortunately, the MOD solution is going to cause more and more grief
                with each new supplement released... but the worst is still to come:
                imagine a game master trying to join TWO different game lines with new
                basic using spell lists of core basic classes. For example, let's say we
                have a class called Ascetic, a cleric following tenets of poverty and
                self-flagellation. The class uses all cleric spells, but in return of
                harsh tenets, it can cast also druid spells. Now, modding all available
                Cleric spells, especially from such strongly influenced by clerics
                settings like Scarred Lands, would be a struggle, right?

                So how about
                SPELLIST.INHERIT:Cleric,0,9|Druid,0,3
                tag?

                The syntax would be like this:
                SPELLLIST.INHERIT:<already defined class name>,<starting level to
                inherit>,<max level to inherit>

                The solution is not perfect, but I think we need some general spelllist
                manipulation tags. Badly.

                Regards,
                Ruemere
                --
                Patryk email >> ruemere@...
                Adamski www >> www.ruemere.linart.pl
                " So he sat beside his sleeping wife, and he
                listened to the ticking that was not in the
                walls, " from Insomnia by Stephen King

                Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
              • Stephen R. Wilcoxon
                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 8, 2003
                  > You could right a script that convert
                  >
                  > CLASS:name
                  > level1<tab>SPELL1|SPELL2
                  > level2<tab>SPELL3|SPELL4

                  > SPELL1.MOD<tab>CLASS:CLASSNAME=level1
                  > SPELL2.MOD<tab>CLASS:CLASSNAME=level2
                  > SPELL3.MOD<tab>CLASS:CLASSNAME=level3
                  > SPELL4.MOD<tab>CLASS:CLASSNAME=level4

                  You mean like this one? ;)

                  I haven't tested it, but it should work without any problems. Just replace
                  occurrences of <tab> with an actual tab (or ctrl-I). If it doesn't work
                  and you can't figure it out, let me know and I'll spend a little more time
                  on it.

                  It takes the input filenames as arguments and writes the combined file to
                  STDOUT (just redirect into a file called whatever you want).

                  This uses SPELL1.MOD<tab>CLASS:CLASSNAME1=level1|CLASSNAME2=level2 as the
                  syntax for multiple classes with the same spell (hopefully that's right).

                  #!/usr/local/bin/perl -w

                  use strict;

                  my ($class, $hash);
                  foreach my $fil (@ARGV) {
                  open IN, $fil or die "could not open $fil: $!\n";
                  while (<IN>) {
                  chomp;
                  if (/^CLASS:(\w.*?)\s*$/) {
                  $class = $1;
                  } elsif (/^(\d+)<tab>(\w.+?)\s*$/) {
                  my ($lvl, $rest) = ($1, $2);
                  my @spells = split /\|/, $rest;
                  foreach my $spell (@spells) {
                  $hash{$spell} = [] unless defined($hash{$spell});
                  push @{$hash{$spell}}, "$class=$lvl";
                  }
                  }
                  }
                  close IN;
                  }

                  foreach my $spell (sort keys %hash) {
                  print "$spell.MOD<tab>CLASS:", join('|', @{$hash{$spell}}), "\n";
                  }
                • Ian Dale <ian_dale@hotmail.com>
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 8, 2003
                    --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Patryk Adamski"
                    <ruemere@p...> wrote:
                    The class uses all cleric spells, but in return of
                    > harsh tenets, it can cast also druid spells. Now, modding all available
                    > Cleric spells, especially from such strongly influenced by clerics
                    > settings like Scarred Lands, would be a struggle, right?

                    All you'd need to do is in the new class use SPELLLIST:2,Cleric,Druid
                    (or whatever the exact syntax is). Using existing classes' whole spell
                    lists is simple. It's just when you need to start mixing and matching
                    that the "fun" comes in.

                    -Ian
                  • Felipe F. Diniz <fdiniz@imagelink.com.br>
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 8, 2003
                      Exactly! Great!

                      --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen R. Wilcoxon"
                      <wilcoxon@c...> wrote:
                      > > You could right a script that convert
                      > >
                      > You mean like this one? ;)
                      >
                      > I haven't tested it, but it should work without any problems. Just
                      replace
                      > occurrences of <tab> with an actual tab (or ctrl-I). If it doesn't
                      work
                      > and you can't figure it out, let me know and I'll spend a little
                      more time
                      > on it.
                      >
                      > It takes the input filenames as arguments and writes the combined
                      file to
                      > STDOUT (just redirect into a file called whatever you want).
                      >
                      > This uses SPELL1.MOD<tab>CLASS:CLASSNAME1=level1|CLASSNAME2=level2
                      as the
                      > syntax for multiple classes with the same spell (hopefully that's
                      right).

                      > #!/usr/local/bin/perl -w
                      >
                      > use strict;
                      >
                      > my ($class, $hash);
                      > foreach my $fil (@ARGV) {
                      > open IN, $fil or die "could not open $fil: $!\n";
                      > while (<IN>) {
                      > chomp;
                      > if (/^CLASS:(\w.*?)\s*$/) {
                      > $class = $1;
                      > } elsif (/^(\d+)<tab>(\w.+?)\s*$/) {
                      > my ($lvl, $rest) = ($1, $2);
                      > my @spells = split /\|/, $rest;
                      > foreach my $spell (@spells) {
                      > $hash{$spell} = [] unless defined
                      ($hash{$spell});
                      > push @{$hash{$spell}}, "$class=$lvl";
                      > }
                      > }
                      > }
                      > close IN;
                      > }
                      >
                      > foreach my $spell (sort keys %hash) {
                      > print "$spell.MOD<tab>CLASS:", join('|', @{$hash
                      {$spell}}), "\n";
                      > }
                    • Patryk Adamski
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jan 9, 2003
                        I stand corrected.
                        :)

                        Regards,
                        Ruemere

                        Message 11 of 17 , Jan 9, 2003
                          <ruemere@p...> wrote:

                          > I stand corrected.
                          > :)

                          If you don't go by your example (Cleric spells up to 9th, Druid up to
                          3rd), then it wouldn't actually work, but generally you can use
                          SPELLLIST. In my mind, it's only useful for generating variant classes
                          that have the same spell list (or a superset), but when generating a
                          whole new class, you're sort of in for a day of "Blah.MOD
                          CLASSES:Blah=Blah".... :)

                          Be nice when we get more editors up! Might be a little easier to add
                          new spellcasting classes then. :)

                          -Ian