RE: [PCGenListFileHelp] Re: Changing Hit Points - almost there - need help with IF

  • Paul Grosse
    Message 1 of 26 , May 9, 2005

      > > With the
      > > hit
      > > whatever
      > > options
      >
      > If you have a house rule about hit points that does not fit any of the
      > options provided then honestly the easiest way to deal with
      > it is to adjust
      > it manually. There is a hit point button on the summary tab
      > which will let
      > you specify your hit point total for each level.
      >
      > In a game I am in our house rule is that the characters get a
      > straight 75%
      > of their hit dice after first level and we just plug the
      > numbers in by hand.
      >
      > If you succeed in coding it more power to you :-)
      > Let us know how you did it.
      > --
      > ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
      > ~ PCGen Content Silverback

      Hey Eddy, you do know there's a HP by % in the house rules? I use it for
      the Oathbound NPC's as all NPC's in Oathbound have 75%HP and characters
      roll two HD and take the better.

      That way you won't have to change the numbers manually.

      Paul G.
    • Shelley
      Message 2 of 26 , May 9, 2005
        --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Eddy Anthony <eddyba@m...>
        wrote:

        > > With the
        > > hit
        > > whatever
        > > options
        >
        > If you have a house rule about hit points that does not fit any of
        the
        > options provided then honestly the easiest way to deal with it is
        to adjust
        > it manually. There is a hit point button on the summary tab which
        will let
        > you specify your hit point total for each level.
        >
        > In a game I am in our house rule is that the characters get a
        straight 75%
        > of their hit dice after first level and we just plug the numbers
        in by hand.

        > If you succeed in coding it more power to you :-)
        > Let us know how you did it.
        > --
        > ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
        > ~ PCGen Content Silverback

        Here's what I have so far. It works as far as it goes, for a Ftr/1
        Pal/1. I need to make it so that for each level 1 - 3, it can
        calculate differently. I can't seem to get the "if" statement to
        work right. I tried using the var(" ") around it and no luck there
        either.

        DEFINE:HPMOD|((((10*CL)+(CON*CL))*3)-HP)
        BONUS:HP|CURRENTMAX|HPMOD

        Like I said, I'm really close! I just need someone to help me with
        the if or some other structure that will do a case type statement
        and I'm good!
        Message 3 of 26 , May 9, 2005
          > Here's what I have so far. It works as far as it goes, for a Ftr/1
          > Pal/1. I need to make it so that for each level 1 - 3, it can
          > calculate differently. I can't seem to get the "if" statement to
          > work right. I tried using the var(" ") around it and no luck there
          > either.
          >
          > DEFINE:HPMOD|((((10*CL)+(CON*CL))*3)-HP)
          > BONUS:HP|CURRENTMAX|HPMOD

          Cyclical loops are bad. There is a way that sometimes work, if you have
          your check all imbedded in one single Boolean expression inside a single
          BONUS statement.

          Tir Gwaith
          LST Chimp
        • Shelley
          Message 4 of 26 , May 9, 2005
            --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Tir Gwaith" <thoron-tir-
            gwaith@l...> wrote:
            > > Here's what I have so far. It works as far as it goes, for a Ftr/1
            > > Pal/1. I need to make it so that for each level 1 - 3, it can
            > > calculate differently. I can't seem to get the "if" statement to
            > > work right. I tried using the var(" ") around it and no luck there
            > > either.
            > >
            > > DEFINE:HPMOD|((((10*CL)+(CON*CL))*3)-HP)
            > > BONUS:HP|CURRENTMAX|HPMOD
            >
            > Cyclical loops are bad. There is a way that sometimes work, if you
            have
            > your check all imbedded in one single Boolean expression inside a
            single
            > BONUS statement.
            >
            > Tir Gwaith
            > LST Chimp

            I'm surprised you would say this is bad. I've done things like this in
            my programs at work, years ago I'll admit.

            Can you please tell me how to format the if structure?
          • Reed Thornton
            Message 5 of 26 , May 9, 2005
              On 5/9/05, Shelley <takenote61@...> wrote:
              > Here's what I have so far. It works as far as it goes, for a Ftr/1
              > Pal/1. I need to make it so that for each level 1 - 3, it can
              > calculate differently. I can't seem to get the "if" statement to
              > work right. I tried using the var(" ") around it and no luck there
              > either.
              >
              > DEFINE:HPMOD|((((10*CL)+(CON*CL))*3)-HP)
              > BONUS:HP|CURRENTMAX|HPMOD
              >
              > Like I said, I'm really close! I just need someone to help me with
              > the if or some other structure that will do a case type statement
              > and I'm good!

              Just for clarification, is this what you want to happen?

              For the first three total class levels the character recieves a fixed
              number of hitpoints equal to three times the amount the charactter
              would normally receive for the level? I.e. a wizard would get
              (4+CONmod)*3 with a minimum of 3 hitpoints (assuming CONmod is -3 or
              lower) and a barbarian would get (12+CONmod)*3 with a minimum of 21
              (would require a CONscore of 1 for a CONmod of -5 (and yes, I know
              that isn't a playable character by the core rules)).

              Reed
              QA Silverback
            • Reed Thornton
              Message 6 of 26 , May 9, 2005
                On 5/9/05, Shelley <takenote61@...> wrote:
                > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Tir Gwaith" <thoron-tir-
                > gwaith@l...> wrote:
                > > Cyclical loops are bad. There is a way that sometimes work, if you
                > have
                > > your check all imbedded in one single Boolean expression inside a
                > single
                > > BONUS statement.
                > >
                > > Tir Gwaith
                > > LST Chimp
                >
                > I'm surprised you would say this is bad. I've done things like this in
                > my programs at work, years ago I'll admit.

                The reason Tir said that was bad has to do with the way PCGen handles
                things internally. There isn't a hard ordering to actions, so the
                DEFINE and the BONUS would each be re-evaluated as the other was
                applied.

                Reed
                QA Silverback
              • Shelley
                Message 7 of 26 , May 9, 2005
                  --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Reed Thornton
                  <reed.thornton@g...> wrote:
                  > On 5/9/05, Shelley <takenote61@y...> wrote:
                  > > Here's what I have so far. It works as far as it goes, for a
                  Ftr/1
                  > > Pal/1. I need to make it so that for each level 1 - 3, it can
                  > > calculate differently. I can't seem to get the "if" statement to
                  > > work right. I tried using the var(" ") around it and no luck
                  there
                  > > either.
                  > >
                  > > DEFINE:HPMOD|((((10*CL)+(CON*CL))*3)-HP)
                  > > BONUS:HP|CURRENTMAX|HPMOD
                  > >
                  > > Like I said, I'm really close! I just need someone to help me
                  with
                  > > the if or some other structure that will do a case type statement
                  > > and I'm good!
                  >

                  > Just for clarification, is this what you want to happen?
                  >
                  > For the first three total class levels the character recieves a
                  fixed
                  > number of hitpoints equal to three times the amount the charactter
                  > would normally receive for the level? I.e. a wizard would get
                  > (4+CONmod)*3 with a minimum of 3 hitpoints (assuming CONmod is -3
                  or
                  > lower) and a barbarian would get (12+CONmod)*3 with a minimum of 21
                  > (would require a CONscore of 1 for a CONmod of -5 (and yes, I know
                  > that isn't a playable character by the core rules)).
                  >
                  > Reed
                  > QA Silverback

                  You're close! It's basically you get 3 levels worth of hit points at
                  the first 3 levels. So, if you were a fighter/1 or 2 or 3, you'd get
                  33 (yea, my calculation is off I just realized) ((10+1 con) * 3). If
                  you were a ftr/1, and wiz/1, you'd get 27 total (22 for 2 fighter
                  lvls and 5 for wiz level) ((10+1)*2)+(4+1). If at third level it's
                  ftr/1, wiz/1, rog/1, total would be 23 (11/ftr,5/wiz/,7/rog). This
                  is straight out of the LA guide example.

                  So you see, it's a little complex to code. If I could do it in a
                  straight programming language, I think I could. Trying to do it in
                  the confines of PCGen is driving me buggy! So I was trying to
                  simplify it and do a template for each class that could be applied.
                  May not work - who knows?
                • Reed Thornton
                  Message 8 of 26 , May 9, 2005
                    On 5/9/05, Shelley <takenote61@...> wrote:
                    > You're close! It's basically you get 3 levels worth of hit points at
                    > the first 3 levels. So, if you were a fighter/1 or 2 or 3, you'd get
                    > 33 (yea, my calculation is off I just realized) ((10+1 con) * 3). If
                    > you were a ftr/1, and wiz/1, you'd get 27 total (22 for 2 fighter
                    > lvls and 5 for wiz level) ((10+1)*2)+(4+1). If at third level it's
                    > ftr/1, wiz/1, rog/1, total would be 23 (11/ftr,5/wiz/,7/rog). This
                    > is straight out of the LA guide example.
                    >
                    > So you see, it's a little complex to code. If I could do it in a
                    > straight programming language, I think I could. Trying to do it in
                    > the confines of PCGen is driving me buggy! So I was trying to
                    > simplify it and do a template for each class that could be applied.
                    > May not work - who knows?

                    Ok, second try at defining the process...

                    At level 1, you get 3x normal max hp for class chosen.

                    At level 2, if the HD are the same your HP's don't change, if not you
                    have 2x normal max HP for largest HD class + 1x normal max HP for
                    smaller HD class.

                    At level 3, you have HP equal to normal max for each class level.

                    At level 4+, you have gain HP as normal at this point (roll 1dX for a
                    gain of 1 to X + CONmod.

                    Is that the way it's supposed to work?

                    Reed
                    QA Silverback
                  • Eddy Anthony
                    Message 9 of 26 , May 9, 2005
                      On 5/9/05 11:17 AM, "Shelley" <takenote61@...> wrote:

                      > DEFINE:HPMOD|((((10*CL)+(CON*CL))*3)-HP)
                      > BONUS:HP|CURRENTMAX|HPMOD
                      >
                      > Like I said, I'm really close! I just need someone to help me with
                      > the if or some other structure that will do a case type statement
                      > and I'm good!

                      Well first off I don't see an if operator in the DEFINE tag up there.

                      I do see a CL variable, that will only work if the DEFINE is in a class
                      line, otherwise PCGen does not know which class you are reffering to.

                      Could you state the if/then in plain English and then I can tell you if it
                      can be formulated in a JEP formula.
                      --
                      ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                      ~ PCGen Content Silverback
                      Message 10 of 26 , May 9, 2005
                        On 5/9/05 11:43 AM, "Shelley" <takenote61@...> wrote:

                        >>> DEFINE:HPMOD|((((10*CL)+(CON*CL))*3)-HP)
                        >>> BONUS:HP|CURRENTMAX|HPMOD

                        >> Cyclical loops are bad.

                        > I'm surprised you would say this is bad. I've done things like this in
                        > my programs at work, years ago I'll admit.

                        Tir is refering to the fact that one of the variables you are using (HP) is
                        directly adjusted by the next bonus, i.e. BONUS:HP changes the value of
                        HPMOD which changes the value of HP which changes the value of HPMOD in an
                        unending loop.

                        I've run into this situation myself a couple of times and when something
                        like this is done PCGen seems to shake its head and return a zero.
                        --
                        ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                        ~ PCGen Content Silverback
                        Message 11 of 26 , May 9, 2005
                          <reed.thornton@g...> wrote:
                          > On 5/9/05, Shelley <takenote61@y...> wrote:
                          > > You're close! It's basically you get 3 levels worth of hit
                          points at
                          > > the first 3 levels. So, if you were a fighter/1 or 2 or 3, you'd
                          get
                          > > 33 (yea, my calculation is off I just realized) ((10+1 con) *
                          3). If
                          > > you were a ftr/1, and wiz/1, you'd get 27 total (22 for 2 fighter
                          > > lvls and 5 for wiz level) ((10+1)*2)+(4+1). If at third level
                          it's
                          > > ftr/1, wiz/1, rog/1, total would be 23 (11/ftr,5/wiz/,7/rog).
                          This
                          > > is straight out of the LA guide example.
                          > >
                          > > So you see, it's a little complex to code. If I could do it in a
                          > > straight programming language, I think I could. Trying to do it
                          in
                          > > the confines of PCGen is driving me buggy! So I was trying to
                          > > simplify it and do a template for each class that could be
                          applied.
                          > > May not work - who knows?
                          >
                          > Ok, second try at defining the process...
                          >
                          > At level 1, you get 3x normal max hp for class chosen.
                          >
                          > At level 2, if the HD are the same your HP's don't change, if not
                          you
                          > have 2x normal max HP for largest HD class + 1x normal max HP for
                          > smaller HD class.
                          >
                          > At level 3, you have HP equal to normal max for each class level.
                          >
                          > At level 4+, you have gain HP as normal at this point (roll 1dX
                          for a
                          > gain of 1 to X + CONmod.
                          >
                          > Is that the way it's supposed to work?
                          >
                          > Reed
                          > QA Silverback

                          Okay, you have it, I think. This is the actual writeup out of the LA
                          CCG 9/1/04 for Hit Points. I think I explained it right. The only
                          part of your version I'm not sure of is getting 2 levels for the
                          highest one. I think it maybe for the first class you take. See what
                          you think.

                          Character Hit Points – At 1st, 2nd, and 3rd levels,assign your
                          starting character the maximum hit points possible for its class
                          plus the character's Constitution modifier. This is for all PCs
                          regardless if they chose to use the "Kid-Gloves" rule detailed below
                          or not.

                          Due to the deadly nature of Arcanis, as a special optional rule,
                          Living Arcanis characters may begin play at 1st level with this 3rd
                          level hit point total. This rule is known as the "Kid-Gloves" rule
                          and is purely optional for players, but GMs must abide by the
                          player's choice.

                          For example: Henry begins playing a fighter with a Constitution of
                          12 and decides to utilize the Kid-Gloves rule. His character's hit
                          point total at 1 st level is 33. [(10-class, +1 Con) times 3]=33 The
                          3rd level hit point total is based off the character's first class
                          level until the next class level is reached. If Henry were to take
                          the wizard class at 2nd level, he would actually lose hit points
                          from his current total of 33. His new character's hit point total
                          would be [(10-class +4-class, + 10 class)+ 3 times Con (1)]= 27. If
                          Henry chose to take rogue as his next class, he would again lose hit
                          points. His new character's hit point total would be [(10-class +4-
                          class, + 6-class)+ 3 times Con (1)]= 23. If Eric were to play a
                          wizard with a Constitution of 14,his character would begin play with
                          [(4-class + 2 Con) times 3]= 18 hit points. If he chose to take his
                          second level as a barbarian, he would increase his character's
                          hit point total by 8 to 26. [(4-class +12-class, + 4-class)+ 3 times
                          Con (2)]= 26. On the other hand, Nelson, who likes a challenge,
                          decides to ignore the Kid-Gloves rule and begins playing his first
                          level cleric with a 12 Constitution with 9 Hit Points. Pedro, the
                          GM, must abide by all three players' decisions. Starting at 4th
                          level, for each additional character level, assign hit points
                          according to the new class by consulting the chart below and adding
                          the character's Constitution modifier, if any.

                          Hit Points Gained Per Level, After 3rd Level Class
                          Hit Die Hit Points Gained
                          d4 3
                          d6 4
                          d8 6
                          d10 7
                          d12 9

                          Does that help?
                        • Reed Thornton
                          Message 12 of 26 , May 9, 2005
                            On 5/9/05, Shelley <takenote61@...> wrote:
                            > Okay, you have it, I think. This is the actual writeup out of the LA
                            > CCG 9/1/04 for Hit Points. I think I explained it right. The only
                            > part of your version I'm not sure of is getting 2 levels for the
                            > highest one. I think it maybe for the first class you take. See what
                            > you think.
                            >
                            > Character Hit Points – At 1st, 2nd, and 3rd levels,assign your
                            > starting character the maximum hit points possible for its class
                            > plus the character's Constitution modifier. This is for all PCs
                            > regardless if they chose to use the "Kid-Gloves" rule detailed below
                            > or not.
                            >
                            > Due to the deadly nature of Arcanis, as a special optional rule,
                            > Living Arcanis characters may begin play at 1st level with this 3rd
                            > level hit point total. This rule is known as the "Kid-Gloves" rule
                            > and is purely optional for players, but GMs must abide by the
                            > player's choice.
                            >
                            > For example: Henry begins playing a fighter with a Constitution of
                            > 12 and decides to utilize the Kid-Gloves rule. His character's hit
                            > point total at 1 st level is 33. [(10-class, +1 Con) times 3]=33 The
                            > 3rd level hit point total is based off the character's first class
                            > level until the next class level is reached. If Henry were to take
                            > the wizard class at 2nd level, he would actually lose hit points
                            > from his current total of 33. His new character's hit point total
                            > would be [(10-class +4-class, + 10 class)+ 3 times Con (1)]= 27. If
                            > Henry chose to take rogue as his next class, he would again lose hit
                            > points. His new character's hit point total would be [(10-class +4-
                            > class, + 6-class)+ 3 times Con (1)]= 23. If Eric were to play a
                            > wizard with a Constitution of 14,his character would begin play with
                            > [(4-class + 2 Con) times 3]= 18 hit points. If he chose to take his
                            > second level as a barbarian, he would increase his character's
                            > hit point total by 8 to 26. [(4-class +12-class, + 4-class)+ 3 times
                            > Con (2)]= 26. On the other hand, Nelson, who likes a challenge,
                            > decides to ignore the Kid-Gloves rule and begins playing his first
                            > level cleric with a 12 Constitution with 9 Hit Points. Pedro, the
                            > GM, must abide by all three players' decisions. Starting at 4th
                            > level, for each additional character level, assign hit points
                            > according to the new class by consulting the chart below and adding
                            > the character's Constitution modifier, if any.
                            >
                            > Hit Points Gained Per Level, After 3rd Level Class
                            > Hit Die Hit Points Gained
                            > d4 3
                            > d6 4
                            > d8 6
                            > d10 7
                            > d12 9
                            >
                            > Does that help?

                            I don't think that this is something that we can do automatically. The
                            way that I read the write up looks like it is based solely on the
                            starting class. What I think we can do is come up with a *set* of
                            feats that add the appropriate bonus HP's that step down at 2nd and
                            3rd total levels, but you will have to set the HP roll to max for 2nd
                            and 3rd levels and police *which* feat gets added to the char at 1st
                            level.

                            The way that I we could do this is as follows (rough idea, consult the
                            docs for minutia):

                            Kid Gloves d4
                            BONUS:HP|CURRENTMAX|max(4+CON,1)*max(3-TL,0)
                            COST:0

                            And do the same thing for d6, d8, d10, and d12 HD classes.

                            I don't know of a way off of the top of my head to automatically
                            select the correct feat based off of the 1st level HD size. I don't
                            see a PRExxx tag that seems appropriate, so if you wanted more strict
                            enforcement, you could add PRECLASS:1,Sorcerer=1,Wizard=1 and
                            PRELEVELMAX:1 changing the classes listed as needed. That's not very
                            elegant, in that any new classes or variations have to be manually
                            added to the feats.

                            I think that's as close as you're going to get right now. Sorry.

                            Reed
                            QA Silverback
                          • Eddy Anthony
                            Message 13 of 26 , May 9, 2005
                              Paul Grosse scribed:

                              > Hey Eddy, you do know there's a HP by % in the house rules? I use it for
                              > the Oathbound NPC's as all NPC's in Oathbound have 75%HP and characters
                              > roll two HD and take the better.
                              >
                              > That way you won't have to change the numbers manually.
                              >
                              > Paul G.

                              Nifty, thanks Paul.
                              --
                              ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                              ~ PCGen Content Silverback
                              Message 14 of 26 , May 10, 2005
                                --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Grosse"
                                <paul.grosse@m...> wrote:

                                > > > With the
                                > > > hit
                                > > > whatever
                                > > > options
                                > >
                                > > If you have a house rule about hit points that does not fit any of the
                                > > options provided then honestly the easiest way to deal with
                                > > it is to adjust
                                > > it manually. There is a hit point button on the summary tab
                                > > which will let
                                > > you specify your hit point total for each level.
                                > >
                                > > In a game I am in our house rule is that the characters get a
                                > > straight 75%
                                > > of their hit dice after first level and we just plug the
                                > > numbers in by hand.
                                > >
                                > > If you succeed in coding it more power to you :-)
                                > > Let us know how you did it.
                                > > --
                                > > ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                                > > ~ PCGen Content Silverback
                                > >

                                > Hey Eddy, you do know there's a HP by % in the house rules? I use it for
                                > the Oathbound NPC's as all NPC's in Oathbound have 75%HP and characters
                                > roll two HD and take the better.
                                >
                                > That way you won't have to change the numbers manually.

                                Yeah, but he wants 300%. I doubt it'll take that.
                              • taluroniscandar
                                Message 15 of 26 , May 10, 2005
                                  Thus my mention of COST:0 feats.

                                  > I don't think that this is something that we can do automatically. The
                                  > way that I read the write up looks like it is based solely on the
                                  > starting class. What I think we can do is come up with a *set* of
                                  > feats that add the appropriate bonus HP's that step down at 2nd and
                                  > 3rd total levels, but you will have to set the HP roll to max for 2nd
                                  > and 3rd levels and police *which* feat gets added to the char at 1st
                                  > level.
                                  >
                                  > The way that I we could do this is as follows (rough idea, consult the
                                  > docs for minutia):
                                  >
                                  > Kid Gloves d4
                                  > BONUS:HP|CURRENTMAX|max(4+CON,1)*max(3-TL,0)
                                  > COST:0
                                  >
                                  > And do the same thing for d6, d8, d10, and d12 HD classes.
                                  >
                                  > I don't know of a way off of the top of my head to automatically
                                  > select the correct feat based off of the 1st level HD size. I don't
                                  > see a PRExxx tag that seems appropriate, so if you wanted more strict
                                  > enforcement, you could add PRECLASS:1,Sorcerer=1,Wizard=1 and
                                  > PRELEVELMAX:1 changing the classes listed as needed. That's not very
                                  > elegant, in that any new classes or variations have to be manually
                                  > added to the feats.
                                  >
                                  > I think that's as close as you're going to get right now. Sorry.
                                  >
                                  > Reed
                                  > QA Silverback
                                • Reed Thornton
                                  Message 16 of 26 , May 10, 2005
                                    On 5/10/05, taluroniscandar <mhgj@...> wrote:
                                    > Yeah, but he wants 300%. I doubt it'll take that.

                                    That's the *real* problem though... it's not really 300%.

                                    Reed
                                    QA Silverback
                                  • Eddy Anthony
                                    Message 17 of 26 , May 10, 2005
                                      On 5/9/05 5:42 PM, "Shelley" <takenote61@...> wrote:

                                      > Due to the deadly nature of Arcanis, as a special optional rule,
                                      > Living Arcanis characters may begin play at 1st level with this 3rd
                                      > level hit point total. This rule is known as the "Kid-Gloves" rule
                                      > and is purely optional for players, but GMs must abide by the
                                      > player's choice.

                                      Since this is an optional rule you shouldn't have it effect all characters
                                      all the time , this needs to be something that can be applied if the player
                                      chooses to use the rule.

                                      I downloaded the Living Arcanis PDF and checked it out, I now see what the
                                      IF is: you need a mechanism to set the hit dice size from the first class. I
                                      think you can do this with a series of templates that will appear as on
                                      template to the user.

                                      First you will need to make a set of templates, one for each hit die size:

                                      Starting Hit Dice 4
                                      VISIBLE:NO
                                      PRECLASS:1,Wizard,Sorcerer
                                      BONUS:VAR|StartingHitDieSize|4

                                      Make one of these for each hit die size and be sure to include all the
                                      classes it which use that size. Next you will make a master Template:

                                      Kid Gloves Rule
                                      VISIBLE:YES
                                      DEFINE:StartingHitDieSize|0
                                      TEMPLATE:CHOOSE:Starting Hit Dice 4|Starting Hit Dice 6|etc..

                                      The TEMPLATE:CHOOSE should have all those templates listed after it, now the
                                      beauty of TEMPLATE:CHOOSE is that if there is only one choice which is valid
                                      (because of the PRECLASS prerequisite) that template will be applied without
                                      poping a chooser window. So if this is applied at first level no window will
                                      pop, it will just apply the correct Starting Hit Dice template. At second
                                      level if the PC has multi classed with a class that has a different hitdice
                                      size then he will have to choose the correct template (no cheating). :-)

                                      OK that takes care of the IF part, now to add the bonus hit points. Assuming
                                      the PC will make out the normally granted hit points for the first three
                                      levels that means all this template needs to provide are 2 levels of HP at
                                      first level and 1 level of HP at second level. Add these tags to the Kid
                                      Gloves Rule template:

                                      BONUS:HP|CURRENTMAX|StartingHitDieSize+CON|PRELEVELMAX:1
                                      BONUS:HP|CURRENTMAX|StartingHitDieSize+CON|PRELEVELMAX:2

                                      At first level these are added to the first level of normal (maxed out)
                                      hitpoints. At second level the first tag becaome invalid but the total only
                                      changes if the PC has multi-classed. At third level nothing is added because
                                      the PC's normal hit points are now used.

                                      Hope this is helpful, good luck :-)
                                      --
                                      ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                                      ~ PCGen Content Silverback
                                      Message 18 of 26 , May 10, 2005
                                        Would this fit?

                                        DEFINE:HPMOD|((10+CON)*MAX(0,3-TL)) BONUS:HP|CURRENTMAX|HPMOD

                                        You'd have to create a separate feat for each die type.

                                        Is there a way to retrieve the hitdie type of the first class level to
                                        replace the "10" in my formula?
                                      • Shelley
                                        Message 19 of 26 , May 10, 2005
                                          > Hope this is helpful, good luck :-)
                                          > --
                                          > ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                                          > ~ PCGen Content Silverback

                                          After a little syntax tweaking, it works like a champ! Exactly what I
                                          was looking for! Sigh. I used to be a good programmer, really I was! I
                                          guess I haven't learned the in's and out's of PCGen-ese yet! Believe
                                          it or not, I had the templates divided the way you said, I just hadn't
                                          gotten part of the formula right. Sigh.

                                          Thanks a lot to all who made suggestions! You are such a helpful bunch!