Re: [PCGenListFileHelp] Re: Is there a way to let a FEAT check for loaded sources?

  • Frank Kliewe
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 8, 2005
      From: "Eddy Anthony" <eddyba@...>
      To: <PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Friday, April 08, 2005 3:46 PM
      Subject: Re: [PCGenListFileHelp] Re: Is there a way to let a FEAT check for loaded sources?

      > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Kliewe" wrote:
      >> Hi,
      >
      >> I'm working on the Moonlighter FEAT from the Modern Player's Companion.
      >> Eddy Anthony was so kind to send me the stuff he had already done on
      >> this one, which basically covers the FEAT already.
      >
      >> Now I want to add occupations from other sources to the choice as
      >> well. Every choice consists of a hidden FEAT that makes up the second
      >> occupation.
      >
      >> But since it makes no sense to include occupations from sources that
      >> are not loaded, I need to find a way to check this. (for instance, the
      >> "Astronaut Trainee" should only appear as second occupation choice, if
      >> msrd_future is loaded as a source.
      >
      > I can think of two ways to handle this, unfortunatly I don't think there is
      > a way to test to see if another source is loaded. You can code up the hidden
      > feats which provide the second occupation from those other sources and
      > include them anyway, It might not make sense to include them if the source
      > is not loaded but it will not cause any errors. Those hidden feats do not
      > require that the original source be loaded to function.

      Somebody who doesn't own the additional books with these occupations might get confused by these choices. I don't think it would be very user friendly.

      > The other option is
      > we can add those hidden directly to those sources so they are only loaded
      > when the source is. They are hidden and are only used by the second
      > occupation feat so having them load without the source that calls them won't
      > cause a problem either.

      From the options you mentioned I would prefer that solution.

      But basically I think that the data from one source shouldn't be spread all over the place into different sources. Maybe there should be a function in PCGen to check for loaded sources. At the moment I don't even think anymore, that this should be in FEATS or any other .lst-file, but in the .pcc-file. This is the one that controls the loading of files. If I had a way there to set conditions to load a .lst-file only if a certain source is loaded also, I could put those FEATS in a seperate file and load them only if the condition is met. (I hope this babbling makes at least halfway sense).

      > For now go ahead and code them up with your dataset, once your set makes it
      > into Alpha we can transfer those hidden feats to the sources they belong to.
      > Maybe in the mean time someone will come up with a better idea.

      OK. I will put them in seperate files, so they can be pushed around more easily.

      >> I have already thought to make those FEATS via the .COPY-tag, then
      >> they would only exist if the original is there, but I think that would
      >> lead to ugly error messages about the missing original FEATS when a
      >> source is left out.
      >
      > I don't think that will work, the second occupation feat does not use the
      > standard hidden occupations at all which is why there are those new ones
      > coded up to support it.
      > --
      > ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
      > ~ PCGen Content Silverback

      From the DOCs I understand that .COPY can be modified in a similar way that a .MOD does allow. So I was thinking about an ADD:.CLEAR and addition of the parts that would be needed. Haven't tried though, since this was just a thought that went through my mind.

      Cheerio,

      Frank Kliewe
      PCGen Data Lemur
    • Eddy Anthony
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 8, 2005
        On 4/8/05 10:45 AM, "Frank Kliewe" <fkliewe@...> wrote:

        > From the DOCs I understand that .COPY can be modified in a similar way that a
        > .MOD does allow. So I was thinking about an ADD:.CLEAR and addition of the
        > parts that would be needed. Haven't tried though, since this was just a
        > thought that went through my mind.

        I figured out what you were getting at after I posted, I think that would
        work though you are right about errors being generated if the source is not
        present. The other thing to consider is that you are going to need to clear
        just about everything in the original feat (TYPE, ADD, etc..) you might as
        well just code it as a stand-alone line, more stable that way.
        --
        ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
        ~ PCGen Content Silverback
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 8, 2005
          >> .MOD does allow. So I was thinking about an ADD:.CLEAR and addition of the
          >> parts that would be needed. Haven't tried though, since this was just a
          >> thought that went through my mind.
          >
          > I figured out what you were getting at after I posted, I think that would
          > work though you are right about errors being generated if the source is not
          > present. The other thing to consider is that you are going to need to clear
          > just about everything in the original feat (TYPE, ADD, etc..) you might as
          > well just code it as a stand-alone line, more stable that way.
          > --
          > ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
          > ~ PCGen Content Silverback

          BTW, there are also classes that get bonus feats from msrd-arcana, which I as usual simply .MODed with a TYPE-tag.

          If msrd-arcana isn't loaded, these already do cause error messages. And what's even more annoying, these error messages are not only shown, when sources are loaded, but also every time when a character is getting its 4-level STAT-raise. Is there a way to handle this?

          Cheerio,

          Frank Kliewe
          PCGen Data Lemur