Multiple monster hit die types

  • Eddy Anthony
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 15, 2005
      The Wolf lord has a hit dice of 10d10+20 plus 6d8+30 (132 hp)

      The HITDICE tag only lets you set one type and when multiple tags are set
      only the last one is used. The 10d10 is from 10 fighter levels. How can this
      be done in default monster mode, or can it?
      --
      ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
      ~ PCGen Content Silverback
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 15, 2005
        The 6d8 may be from 6 levels of 'Animal' and does the CON go from 14
        (bonus of 2) to 20 (bonus of 5)? That would account for all of the
        levels and hit points.

        --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Eddy Anthony <eddyba@m...>
        wrote:
        > The Wolf lord has a hit dice of 10d10+20 plus 6d8+30 (132 hp)
        >
        > The HITDICE tag only lets you set one type and when multiple tags
        are set
        > only the last one is used. The 10d10 is from 10 fighter levels.
        How can this
        > be done in default monster mode, or can it?
        > --
        > ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
        > ~ PCGen Content Silverback
      • Eddy Anthony
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 15, 2005
          Yeah that's the break down. From the text:

          "The werewolf lord presented here is a 10th-level human fighter and natural
          lycanthrope, using the following base ability scores: Str 16, Dex 14, Con
          14, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 12."

          The question here is how to enter this as a race in PCGen, I'm thinking that
          the reason it was left out in the first place is because it is not a race
          per say but an example of one fleshed out with character levels.

          On 2/15/05 4:12 PM, "lonbarnett1957" <lonbarnett@...> wrote:

          > The 6d8 may be from 6 levels of 'Animal' and does the CON go from 14
          > (bonus of 2) to 20 (bonus of 5)? That would account for all of the
          > levels and hit points.
          >
          > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Eddy Anthony <eddyba@m...>
          > wrote:
          >> The Wolf lord has a hit dice of 10d10+20 plus 6d8+30 (132 hp)

          --
          ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
          ~ PCGen Content Silverback
        • Paul W. King
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 15, 2005
            > The question here is how to enter this as a race in PCGen, I'm
            > thinking that the reason it was left out in the first place is
            > because it is not a race per say but an example of one fleshed out
            > with character levels.

            Could you do a werewolf lord template that adds the dire wolf HD,
            plus the standard werewolf items?

            Paul W. King
            TM SB, OGL/PL Chimp, Data Gibbon, BoD
          • Eddy Anthony
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 15, 2005
              On 2/15/05 4:50 PM, "Paul W. King" <paulking.rhochi@...> wrote:

              >> The question here is how to enter this as a race in PCGen, I'm
              >> thinking that the reason it was left out in the first place is
              >> because it is not a race per say but an example of one fleshed out
              >> with character levels.
              >
              > Could you do a werewolf lord template that adds the dire wolf HD,
              > plus the standard werewolf items?

              The problem here is the same one we face with the Animal hit dice feature
              I'm about to add in, there is no way of automatically adding class levels
              (be they character classes or monster levels) with a template, or anything
              else for that matter. This is why these animal levels must be added manually
              by the user.

              In this case the Wolf Lord is a 6d8 Natural Lycanthrope with 10d10 fighter
              levels added. I'm coming to the conclusion that there is no way to spec this
              in one race line. In fact the Hill Giant wereboar has this same problem, as
              he stands now he only has his Hill Giant levels, no wereboar levels.

              At this point the character cannot be built in PCGen because there is no
              template for a Dire Werewolf. If I added templates for that you could
              manually create it by making a 10th level fighter, adding the template and
              then the animal levels.
              --
              ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
              ~ PCGen Content Silverback
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 15, 2005
                On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 21:50:02 -0000, Paul W. King
                <paulking.rhochi@...> wrote:
                > > The question here is how to enter this as a race in PCGen, I'm
                > > thinking that the reason it was left out in the first place is
                > > because it is not a race per say but an example of one fleshed out
                > > with character levels.
                >
                > Could you do a werewolf lord template that adds the dire wolf HD,
                > plus the standard werewolf items?

                If we're going to include these, shouldn't they be better done as
                pregenerated characters?

                --
                Truth.
                There is no religion higher than the Truth.
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 16, 2005
                  Or create it as a race with 10d10 and a MONSTERCLASS:Natural
                  Lycanthrope:6?

                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 16, 2005
                    On 2/16/05 10:55 AM, "lonbarnett1957" <lonbarnett@...> wrote:

                    > Or create it as a race with 10d10 and a MONSTERCLASS:Natural
                    > Lycanthrope:6?

                    Won't work, MONSTERCLASS and HITDICE are mutually exclusive. One is used
                    when default monsters is on and the other is used when its off.

                    This was something new to me, I have not coded such a complicated race
                    before. I ended up creating a specific monster class for this guy, 16 levels
                    with a HD of 8, the last ten levels use the HITDIE:10 tag for the ten
                    fighter levels. That takes care of Default monsters off mode

                    With Default monsters on the HITDICE tag is used instead of the monster
                    class. In this case I set it to HITDICE:16,10 and used a bonus to bring the
                    hit point average down to what it says in the text. It's not perfect but it
                    does create a match for the text.
                    --
                    ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                    ~ PCGen Content Silverback