Copying the Bard

  • artoomis
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 26, 2005
      After a few trials and tribulations, I got a copy of the Bard class
      to work except for spells. Nothing I do gets spells to show up.

      Help.

      What I am actually trying to do is create a Bard with 8 skill points
      per level instead of 6. Also, a feat from Complete Adventurer lets
      him take 4 Perform skills that have equal ranks to the highest
      perform skill - in effect, another 4 skill points per level, though
      restricted in use.

      I have three possible approaches.

      1. Modify the Bard class. I think this works just fine, but I
      cannot get spells to work, and I have tried several approaches.

      2. Use templates to add skill points. This seemed to work just
      fine, but somehow now I get ANOTHER extra 6 skill points per level.

      3. Create a feat that will retroactively modify skill points or
      grant ranks equal to another skill. This does not seem possible, and
      would only handle the feat anyway.

      Thought? Help?
    • artoomis
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 26, 2005
        I guess I don't know how to do the .Mod.

        I did try the SPELLLIST:1|Bard, but that did not work (maybe I did
        not put it in thw right way?).

        --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Benjamin Pew <benpew@a...>
        wrote:
        > Have you tried .MOD on the Bard to give it the new skill points?
        I'm not
        > sure how to do the feat, but that should work for the skill points.
        > Otherwise, have you tried the SPELLIST:1|Bard that has recently been
        > discussed?

      • Benjamin Pew

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 26, 2005
            Try, in your class.lst, Bard.MOD <tab> STARTSKILLPTS:8. I think that ought
            to do the job.

            wrote:
            > Have you tried .MOD on the Bard to give it the new skill points?
            I'm not
            > sure how to do the feat, but that should work for the skill points.
            > Otherwise, have you tried the SPELLIST:1|Bard that has recently been
            > discussed?

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • taluroniscandar
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 26, 2005
              --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "artoomis" <westronic@a...>
              wrote:

              > I guess I don't know how to do the .Mod.
              >
              > I did try the SPELLLIST:1|Bard, but that did not work (maybe I did
              > not put it in thw right way?).

              I've always placed any SPELLLIST tag on the same CLASS line as
              SPELLTYPE, SPELLSTAT, etc at the end of the line.
            • artoomis
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 26, 2005
                I guess I did not do that right, either - but a think a template is
                better anyway because it lets me modify a Bard for this game only,
                not all Bards. I can't figure out why the templates worked for three
                levels, but now when I open up the character it gets 6 more extra
                skill points per level (a total of 12 extra) - very odd. If I delete
                the templates, it works the way I want. It looks like the templates
                are embedded in the character and they are counted AGAIN when I level
                up - when I remove the temple, I get 6 extra skill points as desired,
                rather than 12 if I leave it in. Weird.

                Anyway, I have a wrokaround - simply remove the templates from the
                character and I skill get my 6 extra skill poimts. It shouldn't work
                this way, but at least it is working. How very, very odd.