Re: Can I use PREFEAT with FEATAUTO or ADD:FEAT?

  • taluroniscandar
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 7, 2005

      > > And a side note Evasion is a special ability not a feat, except in
      PCGen
      > > terms. :)
      >
      > A lot of programs use the feat mechanic for special abilities, even
      NWN (I
      > received for the hoidays) The trick is to know which tool to use at the
      > appropriate time. Hidden feating EVERYTHING under the sun doesn't make
      > sense in PCGen.

      It does make sense for some things though.

      If class special abilities are done with hidden feats instead of just
      SA:'s they can be swapped out, ala substitution levels, easily.
    • taluroniscandar
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 7, 2005
        <thoron-tir-gwaith@l...> wrote:
        > > This used to work:
        > > VFEAT:.IF.PREFEAT:1,Evasion.THEN.Lightning Reflexes.ELSE.Evasion
        > >
        > > There may be one of those new-fangled jep statements to replace this
        > > but I've no idea what it might be.
        >
        > Yeah, but no longer - the syntax became unweildy.

        I'm not sure how an if, then, else statement becomes unwieldy but
        whatever.

        > Plus it is nasty. :p

        This is going to sound snide but -
        so functionality was removed because people didn't like the syntax ?
      • Chris
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 7, 2005
          > It does make sense for some things though.
          >
          > If class special abilities are done with hidden feats instead of just
          > SA:'s they can be swapped out, ala substitution levels, easily.

          Or have moster feats like "Quicken Spell Like Ability" at least be able
          to choose the specific ability and show the name of it even if there is
          no real effect on the numbers. :)

          Barak
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 7, 2005
            > > Plus it is nasty. :p
            >
            > This is going to sound snide but -
            > so functionality was removed because people didn't like the syntax ?

            Not removed - just got buggy, and never fixed.

            Tir Gwaith
            LST Chimp
          • taluroniscandar
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 7, 2005
              <thoron-tir-gwaith@l...> wrote:
              > > > Plus it is nasty. :p
              > >
              > > This is going to sound snide but -
              > > so functionality was removed because people didn't like the syntax ?
              >
              > Not removed - just got buggy, and never fixed.

              Okay, that makes sense to me.
            • taluroniscandar
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 11, 2005
                <thoron-tir-gwaith@l...> wrote:
                > > This used to work:
                > > VFEAT:.IF.PREFEAT:1,Evasion.THEN.Lightning Reflexes.ELSE.Evasion
                > >
                > > There may be one of those new-fangled jep statements to replace this
                > > but I've no idea what it might be.
                >
                > Yeah, but no longer - the syntax became unweildy. Plus it is nasty. :p

                Would
                VFEAT:if(HASFEAT:Evasion,Lightning Reflexes,Evasion)
                or
                VFEAT:if(COUNT[FEATNAME=Evasion],Lightning Reflexes,Evasion)
                work?

                For that matter would
                ADD:FEAT(if(HASFEAT:Evasion,Lightning Reflexes,Evasion))1
                which was the original question.
              • Eddy Anthony
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 11, 2005
                  On 1/11/05 11:37 AM, "taluroniscandar" <mhgj@...> wrote:

                  > Would
                  > VFEAT:if(HASFEAT:Evasion,Lightning Reflexes,Evasion)
                  > or
                  > VFEAT:if(COUNT[FEATNAME=Evasion],Lightning Reflexes,Evasion)
                  > work?
                  >
                  > For that matter would
                  > ADD:FEAT(if(HASFEAT:Evasion,Lightning Reflexes,Evasion))1
                  > which was the original question.

                  Nope, as far as I know JEP works with formulas and numbers, it will treat
                  these as VARs and does not return strings.
                  --
                  ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                  ~ PCGen Content Silverback