Re: Races that cast as a class

  • taluroniscandar
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 3, 2005
      --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "troy_danielsus"
      <udalrich@c...> wrote:

      > The celestial (ghaele) casts spells as a 14th level cleric. Using
      > PCGen 5.6.0 and the srd files, it appears that PCGen implements this
      > as just SA:Spells(Sp). Is there some way to get the spells tab to be
      > populated as if it were a 14th level cleric? Ideally, I could add a
      > level of cleric and then have everything look like a 15th level
      > cleric.
      >
      > I tried adding the following text to the race file.
      >
      > ADD:SPELLCASTER(Cleric)

      Try BONUS:PCLEVEL. See the docs for the proper way to format.
    • Éric Beaudoin
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 3, 2005
        At 13:41 2005.01.03, taluroniscandar wrote:
        >--- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "troy_danielsus"
        ><udalrich@c...> wrote:
        >>
        >> The celestial (ghaele) casts spells as a 14th level cleric. Using
        >> PCGen 5.6.0 and the srd files, it appears that PCGen implements this
        >> as just SA:Spells(Sp). Is there some way to get the spells tab to be
        >> populated as if it were a 14th level cleric? Ideally, I could add a
        >> level of cleric and then have everything look like a 15th level
        >> cleric.
        >>
        >> I tried adding the following text to the race file.
        >>
        >> ADD:SPELLCASTER(Cleric)
        >>
        >Try BONUS:PCLEVEL. See the docs for the proper way to format.

        You might try "CASTAS:Cleric" and "BONUS:CASTERLEVEL|Cleric| " to make your monster a 14th level caster.

        CASTAS is a CLASS tag but the monster HD (or level) are implemented as CLASS levels in PCGEN.

        Éric "Space Monkey" Beaudoin
        Release Monkey and Syntax Watchdog
        >> In space, no one can hear you sleep.
        <mailto:beaudoer@...>
      • Chris
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 3, 2005
          > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "troy_danielsus"
          > <udalrich@c...> wrote:
          > >
          > > The celestial (ghaele) casts spells as a 14th level cleric. Using
          > > PCGen 5.6.0 and the srd files, it appears that PCGen implements this
          > > as just SA:Spells(Sp). Is there some way to get the spells tab to
          be
          > > populated as if it were a 14th level cleric? Ideally, I could add a
          > > level of cleric and then have everything look like a 15th level
          > > cleric.
          > >
          > > I tried adding the following text to the race file.
          > >
          > > ADD:SPELLCASTER(Cleric)
          > >
          > Try BONUS:PCLEVEL. See the docs for the proper way to format.

          You need both actually.

          ADD:SPELLCASTER(Cleric)
          BONUS:PCLEVEL|Cleric|13

          Barak
        • tir_gwaith
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 4, 2005
            The Ghaele's spellcasting ability works via a separate class (which
            means it only comes into play in Default OFF mode).

            I used lots of BONUS:PCLEVEL|Cleric|1, since when I was doing them
            up, I didn't feel like testing if PCLEVEL was no longer being wonky
            with anything other than 1. (I tread lightly around spellcasting
            stuff in PCGen, and once I figured out that that format worked
            correctly with the dragons oh so long ago, I haven't been back to
            test.) Again, done in a class level, since I've seen wonkiness when
            trying to do that from another file, esp. ADD:SPELLCASTER().

            Tir Gwaith
            LST Chimp

            From the current RSRD files (rsrd_classes_monsters_specific.lst)
            CLASS:Ghaele HD:8 TYPE:Monster MAXLEVEL:30
            SOURCEPAGE:MonstersG.rtf
            BONUS:CHECKS|BASE.Fortitude,BASE.Reflex,BASE.Willpower|CL/2+2
            BONUS:COMBAT|BAB|CL
            # Class Name Required Race Reg. Race Type
            CLASS:Ghaele PRERACE:Ghaele PRERACETYPE:Outsider
            # Class Name Skill Pts/Lvl Add INT to Skill Points?
            CLASS:Ghaele STARTSKILLPTS:8 MODTOSKILLS:YES
            1 ADD:SPELLCASTER(Cleric)1 BONUS:PCLEVEL|Cleric|1
            2 BONUS:PCLEVEL|Cleric|1
            3 BONUS:PCLEVEL|Cleric|1
            4 BONUS:PCLEVEL|Cleric|1 BONUS:PCLEVEL|Cleric|1
            5 BONUS:PCLEVEL|Cleric|1
            6 BONUS:PCLEVEL|Cleric|1
            7 BONUS:PCLEVEL|Cleric|1 BONUS:PCLEVEL|Cleric|1
            8 BONUS:PCLEVEL|Cleric|1
            9 BONUS:PCLEVEL|Cleric|1
            10 BONUS:PCLEVEL|Cleric|1 BONUS:PCLEVEL|Cleric|1
          • David
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 6, 2005
              Latest Alpha Build for 5.7.13, Windows XP/SP1, Java java version "1.4.2_05".

              Create a character:

              A) If it is a "monster" the stats automatically get adjusted.
              B) If it is a "pc", add a level.

              In either case, you cannot *LOWER* the stats.

              Is this a bug? Or is this the way it is supposed to be?

              -- david
            • Paul W. King
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 8, 2005
                I'm also seeing this functionality. Can someone explain why this is the
                case?

                Paul W. King
                TM SB, OGL/PL Chimp, Data Gibbon, BoD

                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 9, 2005
                  --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Éric Beaudoin
                  <beaudoer@v...> wrote:
                  > At 13:41 2005.01.03, taluroniscandar wrote:
                  > >--- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "troy_danielsus"
                  > ><udalrich@c...> wrote:
                  > >>
                  > >> The celestial (ghaele) casts spells as a 14th level cleric.
                  Using
                  > >> PCGen 5.6.0 and the srd files, it appears that PCGen implements
                  this
                  > >> as just SA:Spells(Sp). Is there some way to get the spells tab
                  to be
                  > >> populated as if it were a 14th level cleric? Ideally, I could
                  add a
                  > >> level of cleric and then have everything look like a 15th level
                  > >> cleric.
                  > >>
                  > >> I tried adding the following text to the race file.
                  > >>
                  > >> ADD:SPELLCASTER(Cleric)
                  > >>
                  > >Try BONUS:PCLEVEL. See the docs for the proper way to format.
                  >
                  > You might try "CASTAS:Cleric" and "BONUS:CASTERLEVEL|Cleric| " to
                  make your monster a 14th level caster.

                  Thanks. ADD:SPELLCASTER(Cleric) and BONUS:CASTERLEVEL|Cleric|13 let
                  it cast spells as a 14th level cleric, like it was supposed to.

                  > CASTAS is a CLASS tag but the monster HD (or level) are implemented
                  as CLASS levels in PCGEN.

                  I don't know if that will work, since I tried the above first.

                  Troy