Races that cast as a class

  • troy_danielsus
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 2, 2005
      The celestial (ghaele) casts spells as a 14th level cleric. Using
      PCGen 5.6.0 and the srd files, it appears that PCGen implements this
      as just SA:Spells(Sp). Is there some way to get the spells tab to be
      populated as if it were a 14th level cleric? Ideally, I could add a
      level of cleric and then have everything look like a 15th level
      cleric.

      I tried adding the following text to the race file.

      ADD:SPELLCASTER(Cleric)

      That made it cast as a first level sorcerer. I then tried

      ADD:SPELLCASTER(Cleric)14

      which opened a chooser with one choice (cleric) and wanted me to make
      14 unique selections.

      I also tried BONUS:CASTERLEVLE|Cleric|14

      which had no effect. Combining

      ADD:SPELLCASTER(Cleric) BONUS:CASTERLEVLE|Cleric|14

      only gave it one level of cleric casting. I also tried

      ADD:SPELLCASTER(Cleric)14 MULT:YES

      but that gave an error in the debug window: Illegal race tag
      'MULT:YES' in file: ...

      Is there a way to make this work?
    • taluroniscandar
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 3, 2005
        --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "troy_danielsus"
        <udalrich@c...> wrote:

        > The celestial (ghaele) casts spells as a 14th level cleric. Using
        > PCGen 5.6.0 and the srd files, it appears that PCGen implements this
        > as just SA:Spells(Sp). Is there some way to get the spells tab to be
        > populated as if it were a 14th level cleric? Ideally, I could add a
        > level of cleric and then have everything look like a 15th level
        > cleric.
        >
        > I tried adding the following text to the race file.
        >
        > ADD:SPELLCASTER(Cleric)

        Try BONUS:PCLEVEL. See the docs for the proper way to format.
      • Éric Beaudoin
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 3, 2005
          At 13:41 2005.01.03, taluroniscandar wrote:
          >--- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "troy_danielsus"
          ><udalrich@c...> wrote:
          >>
          >> The celestial (ghaele) casts spells as a 14th level cleric. Using
          >> PCGen 5.6.0 and the srd files, it appears that PCGen implements this
          >> as just SA:Spells(Sp). Is there some way to get the spells tab to be
          >> populated as if it were a 14th level cleric? Ideally, I could add a
          >> level of cleric and then have everything look like a 15th level
          >> cleric.
          >>
          >> I tried adding the following text to the race file.
          >>
          >> ADD:SPELLCASTER(Cleric)
          >>
          >Try BONUS:PCLEVEL. See the docs for the proper way to format.

          You might try "CASTAS:Cleric" and "BONUS:CASTERLEVEL|Cleric| " to make your monster a 14th level caster.

          CASTAS is a CLASS tag but the monster HD (or level) are implemented as CLASS levels in PCGEN.

          Éric "Space Monkey" Beaudoin
          Release Monkey and Syntax Watchdog
          >> In space, no one can hear you sleep.
          <mailto:beaudoer@...>
        • Chris
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 3, 2005
            > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "troy_danielsus"
            > <udalrich@c...> wrote:
            > >
            > > The celestial (ghaele) casts spells as a 14th level cleric. Using
            > > PCGen 5.6.0 and the srd files, it appears that PCGen implements this
            > > as just SA:Spells(Sp). Is there some way to get the spells tab to
            be
            > > populated as if it were a 14th level cleric? Ideally, I could add a
            > > level of cleric and then have everything look like a 15th level
            > > cleric.
            > >
            > > I tried adding the following text to the race file.
            > >
            > > ADD:SPELLCASTER(Cleric)
            > >
            > Try BONUS:PCLEVEL. See the docs for the proper way to format.

            You need both actually.

            ADD:SPELLCASTER(Cleric)
            BONUS:PCLEVEL|Cleric|13

            Barak
          • tir_gwaith
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 4, 2005
              The Ghaele's spellcasting ability works via a separate class (which
              means it only comes into play in Default OFF mode).

              I used lots of BONUS:PCLEVEL|Cleric|1, since when I was doing them
              up, I didn't feel like testing if PCLEVEL was no longer being wonky
              with anything other than 1. (I tread lightly around spellcasting
              stuff in PCGen, and once I figured out that that format worked
              correctly with the dragons oh so long ago, I haven't been back to
              test.) Again, done in a class level, since I've seen wonkiness when
              trying to do that from another file, esp. ADD:SPELLCASTER().

              Tir Gwaith
              LST Chimp

              From the current RSRD files (rsrd_classes_monsters_specific.lst)
              CLASS:Ghaele HD:8 TYPE:Monster MAXLEVEL:30
              SOURCEPAGE:MonstersG.rtf
              BONUS:CHECKS|BASE.Fortitude,BASE.Reflex,BASE.Willpower|CL/2+2
              BONUS:COMBAT|BAB|CL
              # Class Name Required Race Reg. Race Type
              CLASS:Ghaele PRERACE:Ghaele PRERACETYPE:Outsider
              # Class Name Skill Pts/Lvl Add INT to Skill Points?
              CLASS:Ghaele STARTSKILLPTS:8 MODTOSKILLS:YES
              1 ADD:SPELLCASTER(Cleric)1 BONUS:PCLEVEL|Cleric|1
              2 BONUS:PCLEVEL|Cleric|1
              3 BONUS:PCLEVEL|Cleric|1
              4 BONUS:PCLEVEL|Cleric|1 BONUS:PCLEVEL|Cleric|1
              5 BONUS:PCLEVEL|Cleric|1
              6 BONUS:PCLEVEL|Cleric|1
              7 BONUS:PCLEVEL|Cleric|1 BONUS:PCLEVEL|Cleric|1
              8 BONUS:PCLEVEL|Cleric|1
              9 BONUS:PCLEVEL|Cleric|1
              10 BONUS:PCLEVEL|Cleric|1 BONUS:PCLEVEL|Cleric|1
            • David
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 6, 2005
                Latest Alpha Build for 5.7.13, Windows XP/SP1, Java java version "1.4.2_05".

                Create a character:

                A) If it is a "monster" the stats automatically get adjusted.
                B) If it is a "pc", add a level.

                In either case, you cannot *LOWER* the stats.

                Is this a bug? Or is this the way it is supposed to be?

                -- david
              • Paul W. King
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 8, 2005
                  I'm also seeing this functionality. Can someone explain why this is the
                  case?

                  Paul W. King
                  TM SB, OGL/PL Chimp, Data Gibbon, BoD

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 9, 2005
                    --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Éric Beaudoin
                    <beaudoer@v...> wrote:
                    > At 13:41 2005.01.03, taluroniscandar wrote:
                    > >--- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "troy_danielsus"
                    > ><udalrich@c...> wrote:
                    > >>
                    > >> The celestial (ghaele) casts spells as a 14th level cleric.
                    Using
                    > >> PCGen 5.6.0 and the srd files, it appears that PCGen implements
                    this
                    > >> as just SA:Spells(Sp). Is there some way to get the spells tab
                    to be
                    > >> populated as if it were a 14th level cleric? Ideally, I could
                    add a
                    > >> level of cleric and then have everything look like a 15th level
                    > >> cleric.
                    > >>
                    > >> I tried adding the following text to the race file.
                    > >>
                    > >> ADD:SPELLCASTER(Cleric)
                    > >>
                    > >Try BONUS:PCLEVEL. See the docs for the proper way to format.
                    >
                    > You might try "CASTAS:Cleric" and "BONUS:CASTERLEVEL|Cleric| " to
                    make your monster a 14th level caster.

                    Thanks. ADD:SPELLCASTER(Cleric) and BONUS:CASTERLEVEL|Cleric|13 let
                    it cast spells as a 14th level cleric, like it was supposed to.

                    > CASTAS is a CLASS tag but the monster HD (or level) are implemented
                    as CLASS levels in PCGEN.

                    I don't know if that will work, since I tried the above first.

                    Troy