Re: CHOOSE:FEATLIST question

  • Ian Dale
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 6, 2002
      It's a general feat, and isn't class-restricted. Anyone can take it
      pretty much any time (there's only a base save prerequisite).

      I suppose if I was REALLY in a bind, I could just make the subfeats
      visible and ignore that the base feat doesn't quite work properly......

      -Ian

    • Ian Dale <ian_dale@hotmail.com>
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 9, 2002
        Once I got the subfeats working properly, I noticed what
        CHOOSE:FEATLIST does (and therefore why nothing appeared before): puts
        up a list of all TAKEN feats of the specified type. Since I had none
        taken, then none were shown. Not quite what I wanted, since what I
        wanted was to have a list of all feats of the given type. (Similar to
        how Weapon Focus, et al. work -- take the base feat, choose which
        specific variant you want.)

        Anything I can do in the feats file to do this?

        Thanks,
        -Ian

        --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Ian Dale" <ian_dale@h...>

        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 10, 2002
          I'm a little lost at what you are trying to do.  Might be the exhaustion.

          Can you try again?  Try to explain it in small steps.  I'm not going to be offended.  I just don't get what functionality you are trying to do.

          Chief LST Chimp
          Strange Monkey
          MM Race Dragon

          wrote:
          > It's a general feat, and isn't class-restricted. Anyone can take it
          > pretty much any time (there's only a base save prerequisite).
          >
          > I suppose if I was REALLY in a bind, I could just make the subfeats
          > visible and ignore that the base feat doesn't quite work properly......
          >
          > -Ian

          <snip>
        • Ian Dale <ian_dale@hotmail.com>
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 11, 2002
            Tir,

            Sorry about that. :)

            These are the steps I'm envisioning:
            1) user selects base feat
            2) base feat brings up chooser of all subfeats (which will have a certain TYPE)
            3) user selects which subfeat he wants to take
            4) subfeat modifies its own variable

            This is sort of like Weapon Focus, et al., where the user will select exactly what he wants Weapon Focus applied to, but since I need different variables modified based on the user's selection, I can't just have a CHOOSE:Option1|Option2|.... unless I can have a BONUS:VAR|.IF.CHOICE.EQ.Option1.THEN.Var1.ELSE.IF.CHOICE.EQ.Choice2.THEN.Var2....

            An example set of feats:
            Choose Ability[tab]TYPE:General[tab]VISIBLE:Yes[tab]MULT:YES[tab]STACK:YES[tab]CHOOSE:FEATLIST|TYPE=ChooseAbility

            Choose Ability - Fast Healing[tab]TYPE:ChooseAbility[tab]VISIBLE:No[tab]MULT:YES[tab]STACK:YES[tab]SA:Fast Healing %|FastHealing[tab]BONUS:VAR|FastHealing|1[tab]DEFINE:FastHealing|0

            Choose Ability - Cold Resistance[tab]TYPE:ChooseAbility[tab]VISIBLE:No[tab]MULT:YES[tab]STACK:YES[tab]SA:Cold Resistance %|ColdResistance[tab]BONUS:VAR|ColdResistance|1[tab]DEFINE:ColdResistance|0

            What I'd like is for Choose Ability to bring up the list:
            Choose Ability - Fast Healing
            Choose Ability - Cold Resistance
            and then for the selected feat to be applied (instead of simply listed on the Choose Ability line).

            So if a character selects the Fast Healing subfeat twice, then he'll have "Fast Healing 2" in his special abilities list. He could then take the Cold Resistance subfeat and have both "Fast Healing 2" and "Cold Resistance 1" listed.

            Hopefully that's a bit more clear. :)

            -Ian

            --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Tir Gwaith" <thoron-tir-gwaith@l...> wrote:
            > I'm a little lost at what you are trying to do. Might be the exhaustion.
            >
            > Can you try again? Try to explain it in small steps. I'm not going to be offended. I just don't get what functionality you are trying to do.
            >
            > Tir Gwaith
            > Soul Reaper Silverback and List File Silverback
            > Chief LST Chimp
            > Strange Monkey
            > MM Race Dragon
            >
            > Once I got the subfeats working properly, I noticed what
            > CHOOSE:FEATLIST does (and therefore why nothing appeared before): puts
            > up a list of all TAKEN feats of the specified type. Since I had none
            > taken, then none were shown. Not quite what I wanted, since what I
            > wanted was to have a list of all feats of the given type. (Similar to
            > how Weapon Focus, et al. work -- take the base feat, choose which
            > specific variant you want.)
            >
            > Anything I can do in the feats file to do this?
            >
            > Thanks,
            > -Ian
            >
            > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Ian Dale" <ian_dale@h...>
            > wrote:
            > > It's a general feat, and isn't class-restricted. Anyone can take it
            > > pretty much any time (there's only a base save prerequisite).
            > >
            > > I suppose if I was REALLY in a bind, I could just make the subfeats
            > > visible and ignore that the base feat doesn't quite work properly......
            > >
            > > -Ian
            > >
            > <snip>
          • Barak
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 11, 2002
              Ok, I don't understand. Why the shenanigans with the first feat?

              Why not just use ADD:FEAT(TYPE=ChooseAbility)?

              Barak
              Output Sheet Chimp
              LST Gibbon

              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 11, 2002
                Because it's a general feat that anyone can take at almost any time, instead of one that only certain classes could take at certain levels.
                If it were an automatic feat/ability, then it'd be easy (ADD:FEAT, like you and Mynex said), but unfortunately, it's global, so that (at least to my understanding) adding ADD:FEAT on class lines wouldn't work.

                So far what I have is the individual subfeats working on their own, but I'd really like to have the base feat working so that I don't have to have "excess" entries in the feat list.

                The exact functionality I want is just like ADD:FEAT, except I need it in the feat context and not the class line context. :\

                -Ian

                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 13, 2002
                  Please, send me a write up of your feat as you find it in the source, verbatim (private Email.)

                  I think you are making this more complicated than it is, and I need to know the exact mechanics to start thinking about it afresh.  I'm sure it can be done, just needs a new thought process from the beginning.

                  Tir Gwaith
                  PCGen Team
                  LST Silverback (Data)

                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 15, 2002
                    Basically you want the Subfeats as their own, with specific Subtypes.
                    Want to add that feat from a class, do an ADD:FEAT(TYPE=Foo)
                    From the General Tab, there will be the different choices listed, and they can choose which one to their hearts content.  TYPEs Foo1 and Foo2, can go away when we get the expansion to COUNT[]...  There is a FReq outstanding to COUNT[FEATNAME=] instead of just FEATTYPE.

                    ----
                    Foo (choice1)
                    TYPE:General.Foo.Foo1
                    DESC:Foos stuff to this choice...
                    SA:Foo this choice +%|foo1
                    DEFINE:foo1|integer*COUNT[FEATTYPE=foo1]
                    ----
                    Foo (choice2)  TYPE:General.Foo.Foo2
                    DESC:Foos stuff to this choice...
                    SA:Foo this choice +%|foo2
                    DEFINE:foo2|integer*COUNT[FEATTYPE=foo2]
                    ----
                    etc.

                    That is as detailed as I'm getting on this subject, since the specific feat wanted is for a Non-permissioned source.

                    Tir Gwaith
                    PCGen Team
                    LST Silverback (Data)