Re: Possible to have a CHOOSE: allow selecting individual spells?

  • Ian Dale
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 3, 2002
      Also, I'd ideally like to have all selections listed in a spelllist.
      I might call it "Wild Talent", and try to add the spell using SPELL:
      (SPELL:LIST|-1|Wild Talent). That wouldn't represent the ability
      100%, since the character can only perform three manifestations of
      any of his Wild Talent powers in a day, but it'd be close enough.

      Does SPELL: currently accept variables as the spell name, or would
      the above syntax try to add the spell "LIST" to the spelllist?

      Thanks,
      -Ian

      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 3, 2002
        At this point, SPELL looks for Exact spellings (case sensitive).  If it ever has a problem, it stops processing it.  A long Spell tag with a misspelling on the first entry would prettymuch do nothing...

        Oh, and CHOOSE:SPELLLIST is what you want.   Not sure it will do everything you want it to, but that is what you want.  I haven't looked into what you are trying to do, so I'm not sure if it would require a FReq or not.

        Chief LST Chimp
        Strange Monkey
        MM Race Dragon
        Also, I'd ideally like to have all selections listed in a spelllist.
        I might call it "Wild Talent", and try to add the spell using SPELL:
        (SPELL:LIST|-1|Wild Talent). That wouldn't represent the ability
        100%, since the character can only perform three manifestations of
        any of his Wild Talent powers in a day, but it'd be close enough.

        Does SPELL: currently accept variables as the spell name, or would
        the above syntax try to add the spell "LIST" to the spelllist?

        Thanks,
        -Ian

        --- In PCGenListFileHelp@y..., "Ian Dale" <ian_dale@h...> wrote:
        > I'm trying to code a new feat for the setting I'm doing, and it
        needs
        > to allow selecting three individual 0-level psionic powers. The
        > closest I've seen is CHOOSE:SPELLLIST, which according to the docs
        is
        > for Wizards only (allows selecting INTMOD spells).
        >
        > Is there another similar tag, or do I need to put in a FReq for
        this?

        > Thanks,
        > -Ian
      • Ian Dale
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 5, 2002
          Thanks, Tir. Now that you mention it, I do remember there being issues
          with SPELL: and spells that weren't loaded (the setting supports
          spells from Forgotten Realms and some other not-currently-included
          sources).

          I've tried CHOOSE:SPELLLIST, and what I got was a list of the
          character's currently-available spells. What I tried was
          "CHOOSE:NUMCHOICES=3|SPELLLIST|TYPE=Psionic". (Since
          CHOOSE:SPELLLIST|... had 5 selections available, for my character's 20
          WIS.) The problems were that you couldn't remove the feat (you had to
          select three more spells) and the list was of all of the character's
          available spells (the docs do say, however, that what's after the
          SPELLLIST is ignored).

          -Ian

          --- In PCGenListFileHelp@y..., "Tir Gwaith" <thoron-tir-gwaith@l...>

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 6, 2002
            Hm.. Some hardcoding from Spell Mastery.  Ok.  I'll discuss it with Mynex on how we want to undo that hardcoding Syntax-wise.

            Chief LST Chimp
            Strange Monkey
            MM Race Dragon