Possible to have a CHOOSE: allow selecting individual spells?

  • Ian Dale
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 3, 2002
      I'm trying to code a new feat for the setting I'm doing, and it needs
      to allow selecting three individual 0-level psionic powers. The
      closest I've seen is CHOOSE:SPELLLIST, which according to the docs is
      for Wizards only (allows selecting INTMOD spells).

      Is there another similar tag, or do I need to put in a FReq for this?

      Thanks,
      -Ian
    • Ian Dale
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 3, 2002
        Also, I'd ideally like to have all selections listed in a spelllist.
        I might call it "Wild Talent", and try to add the spell using SPELL:
        (SPELL:LIST|-1|Wild Talent). That wouldn't represent the ability
        100%, since the character can only perform three manifestations of
        any of his Wild Talent powers in a day, but it'd be close enough.

        Does SPELL: currently accept variables as the spell name, or would
        the above syntax try to add the spell "LIST" to the spelllist?

        Thanks,
        -Ian

        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 3, 2002
          At this point, SPELL looks for Exact spellings (case sensitive).  If it ever has a problem, it stops processing it.  A long Spell tag with a misspelling on the first entry would prettymuch do nothing...

          Oh, and CHOOSE:SPELLLIST is what you want.   Not sure it will do everything you want it to, but that is what you want.  I haven't looked into what you are trying to do, so I'm not sure if it would require a FReq or not.

          Chief LST Chimp
          Strange Monkey
          MM Race Dragon
          Also, I'd ideally like to have all selections listed in a spelllist.
          I might call it "Wild Talent", and try to add the spell using SPELL:
          (SPELL:LIST|-1|Wild Talent). That wouldn't represent the ability
          100%, since the character can only perform three manifestations of
          any of his Wild Talent powers in a day, but it'd be close enough.

          Does SPELL: currently accept variables as the spell name, or would
          the above syntax try to add the spell "LIST" to the spelllist?

          Thanks,
          -Ian

          --- In PCGenListFileHelp@y..., "Ian Dale" <ian_dale@h...> wrote:
          > I'm trying to code a new feat for the setting I'm doing, and it
          needs
          > to allow selecting three individual 0-level psionic powers. The
          > closest I've seen is CHOOSE:SPELLLIST, which according to the docs
          is
          > for Wizards only (allows selecting INTMOD spells).
          >
          > Is there another similar tag, or do I need to put in a FReq for
          this?

          > Thanks,
          > -Ian
        • Ian Dale
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 5, 2002
            Thanks, Tir. Now that you mention it, I do remember there being issues
            with SPELL: and spells that weren't loaded (the setting supports
            spells from Forgotten Realms and some other not-currently-included
            sources).

            I've tried CHOOSE:SPELLLIST, and what I got was a list of the
            character's currently-available spells. What I tried was
            "CHOOSE:NUMCHOICES=3|SPELLLIST|TYPE=Psionic". (Since
            CHOOSE:SPELLLIST|... had 5 selections available, for my character's 20
            WIS.) The problems were that you couldn't remove the feat (you had to
            select three more spells) and the list was of all of the character's
            available spells (the docs do say, however, that what's after the
            SPELLLIST is ignored).

            -Ian

            --- In PCGenListFileHelp@y..., "Tir Gwaith" <thoron-tir-gwaith@l...>

            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 6, 2002
              Hm.. Some hardcoding from Spell Mastery.  Ok.  I'll discuss it with Mynex on how we want to undo that hardcoding Syntax-wise.

              Chief LST Chimp
              Strange Monkey
              MM Race Dragon