Re: Template File Woes

  • Evan
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 29, 2004
      --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Evan" <evanmiller@c...>
      wrote:

      > SO it seems to me that template files are horribly tempermental.
      It
      > seems that if any little thing is wrong somewhere, it won't load.
      > Which is highly annoying. Any plans on getting PCGen to load files
      > despite problems in other files?
      >
      > For instance, I once had a problem where the template file was not
      say
      > anything.
      >
      > I fixed some PREFEAT tags in the Feat LST file that didn't have the
      > numeric designator (PREFEAT:xxx instea dof PREFEAT:1,xxx) and then
      it
      > started loading.
      >
      > Now all of a sudden it isn't loading again. There should be a way
      > force the loading of this, isn't there?
      >
      > Evan

      Just as an add onn, I get the following in the console:
      java.util.NoSuchElementException
      at java.util.StringTokenizer.nextToken(Unknown Source)
      at pcgen.core.PObject.createNaturalWeapon(PObject.java:1076)
      at pcgen.core.PObject.setNaturalAttacks(PObject.java:1030)
      at pcgen.persistence.lst.PObjectLoader.parseNTagLevel
      (PObjectLoader.java:444)
      at pcgen.persistence.lst.PObjectLoader.parseTagLevel
      (PObjectLoader.java:145)
      at pcgen.persistence.lst.PObjectLoader.parseTag
      (PObjectLoader.java:86)
      at pcgen.persistence.lst.PCTemplateLoader.parseLine
      (PCTemplateLoader.java:79)
      at pcgen.persistence.lst.LstSystemLoader.initFileTypeTemplate
      (LstSystemLoader.java:1468)
      at pcgen.persistence.lst.LstSystemLoader.initFile
      (LstSystemLoader.java:1364)
      at pcgen.persistence.lst.LstSystemLoader.loadFileIntoList
      (LstSystemLoader.java:1224)
      at pcgen.persistence.lst.LstSystemLoader.processFileList
      (LstSystemLoader.java:626)
      at pcgen.persistence.lst.LstSystemLoader.loadCampaigns
      (LstSystemLoader.java:522)
      at pcgen.persistence.PersistenceManager.loadCampaigns
      (PersistenceManager.java:100)
      at pcgen.gui.MainSource.loadCampaigns(MainSource.java:1031)
      at pcgen.gui.MainSource.loadCampaigns_actionPerformed
      (MainSource.java:926)
      at pcgen.gui.MainSource.access$200(MainSource.java:106)
      at pcgen.gui.MainSource$2.actionPerformed(MainSource.java:326)
      at javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(Unknown
      Source)
      at
      javax.swing.AbstractButton$ForwardActionEvents.actionPerformed
      (Unknown Source)
      at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(Unknown
      Source)
      at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicButtonListener.mouseReleased
      (Unknown Source)
      at java.awt.AWTEventMulticaster.mouseReleased(Unknown Source)
      at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Unknown
      Source)
      at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Unknown
      Source)
      at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Unknown
      Source)
      at pcgen.gui.PCGen_Frame1$WaitCursorEventQueue.dispatchEvent
      (PCGen_Frame1.java:2639)
      at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy
      (Unknown Source)
      at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy
      (Unknown Source)
    • Chris
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 29, 2004
        > Now all of a sudden it isn't loading again. There should be a way to
        > force the loading of this, isn't there?

        No.

        Once it can't load something, it quits trying.

        And I for one think that's a good thing. Letting it do otherwise would
        just encourage sloppy .lst coding.

        Barak
      • Evan
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 29, 2004
          Final update to this... I commented out the templates that grant
          natural attacks and it worked finally. I did process of elimination
          and found that it is this one it doesn't like that is keeping it from

          WickedSting
          VISIBLE:NO
          NATURALATTACKS:Sting,Weapon.Natural.Melee.Piercing,*2,1d6|PREVARLT:COU
          NT[EQTYPE.ARMOR.EQUIPPED.IS.HEAVY],1
          SA:Poison Sting (Ex) - Fortitude Save DC % (Primary 1d4 Str/Secondary
          2d4 Str)|StingSaveDC
          DEFINE:StingSaveDC|0
          BONUS:VAR|StingSaveDC|10+((TL/2).TRUNC)+CON

          Now the only thing I can think of is it doesn't like the COUNT
          statement on the NATURALATTACKS line. But I pulled that right from
          one of the rsrd LST files. Unless I can't use that (or a PRExxx)
          statement with a NATURALATTACKS tag.

          Any ideas?

          Evan
        • taluroniscandar
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 29, 2004
            --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Evan" <evanmiller@c...> wrote:

            > Final update to this... I commented out the templates that grant
            > natural attacks and it worked finally. I did process of elimination
            > and found that it is this one it doesn't like that is keeping it from
            >
            > WickedSting
            > VISIBLE:NO
            > NATURALATTACKS:Sting,Weapon.Natural.Melee.Piercing,*2,1d6|PREVARLT:COU
            > NT[EQTYPE.ARMOR.EQUIPPED.IS.HEAVY],1
            > SA:Poison Sting (Ex) - Fortitude Save DC % (Primary 1d4 Str/Secondary
            > 2d4 Str)|StingSaveDC
            > DEFINE:StingSaveDC|0
            > BONUS:VAR|StingSaveDC|10+((TL/2).TRUNC)+CON
            >
            > Now the only thing I can think of is it doesn't like the COUNT
            > statement on the NATURALATTACKS line. But I pulled that right from
            > one of the rsrd LST files. Unless I can't use that (or a PRExxx)
            > statement with a NATURALATTACKS tag.
            >
            > Any ideas?

            Well, you could pull the PREVAR and see if it still errors.
            I don't think I've ever seen a NATURALATTACKS tag with a PRE come to
            think of it.
          • Chris
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 29, 2004
              Correct, no PRExx allowed on the NATURALATTACKS tag the last time I
              checked.

              > NATURALATTACKS:Sting,Weapon.Natural.Melee.Piercing,*2,1d6|PREVARLT:COU
              > NT[EQTYPE.ARMOR.EQUIPPED.IS.HEAVY],1

              > Now the only thing I can think of is it doesn't like the COUNT
              > statement on the NATURALATTACKS line. But I pulled that right from
              > one of the rsrd LST files. Unless I can't use that (or a PRExxx)
              > statement with a NATURALATTACKS tag.
              >
              > Any ideas?

            • Evan
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 29, 2004
                --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <barak@v...> wrote:
                > Correct, no PRExx allowed on the NATURALATTACKS tag the last time I
                > checked.

                Thanks. Well, I'll give a try with putting it on the TEMPLATE tag in
                the feat. Hopefully that should do the trick.
              • Paul W. King
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 29, 2004
                  [ 1056878 ] PRExxx allowed on Natural Attacks
                  http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?
                  func=detail&aid=1056878&group_id=25576&atid=384722

                  Paul W. King
                  TM SB, OGL/PL Chimp, Data Tamarin, BoD

                  > Correct, no PRExx allowed on the NATURALATTACKS tag the last time I
                  > checked.
                • Frugal
                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 1, 2004
                    On Fri, October 29, 2004 3:18 pm, Chris said:

                    >> Now all of a sudden it isn't loading again. There should be a way to
                    >> force the loading of this, isn't there?
                    >
                    > No.
                    >
                    > Once it can't load something, it quits trying.
                    >
                    > And I for one think that's a good thing. Letting it do otherwise would
                    > just encourage sloppy .lst coding.

                    However, it should print a great big error message detailing the filename,
                    the line number and the tag that failed to parse so that there is a great
                    big sign pointing to why the file failed to load.

                    Ideally it would bring this up in a dialog to show teh user if we are
                    running with the GUI on.

                    --
                    regards,
                    Frugal
                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 1, 2004
                      > From: Frugal [mailto:frugal@...]

                      > > And I for one think that's a good thing. Letting it do otherwise
                      > > would just encourage sloppy .lst coding.
                      >
                      > However, it should print a great big error message detailing
                      > the filename, the line number and the tag that failed to
                      > parse so that there is a great big sign pointing to why the
                      > file failed to load.

                      I couldn't agree more... I've spent my share of tie looking for a space
                      hidden among the tabs and other such goofy stuff. :)

                      Barak
                    • thoron-tir-gwaith@lycos.com
                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 1, 2004
                        Ditto here.

                        Barak, you still having problems with space-tab or tab-space? One more reason I LOVE the prettylst and UltraEdit combination. Between the two of them, it never takes me more than 5 minutes to solve ANY loading problem in LST. Well, excepting NATURALATTACKS, which may take 10 minutes.

                        Now, figuring out what a formula didn't work, or a VAR isn't tallying up correctly can take longer...

                        Tir Gwaith
                        LST Chimp

                        > > However, it should print a great big error message detailing
                        > > the filename, the line number and the tag that failed to
                        > > parse so that there is a great big sign pointing to why the
                        > > file failed to load.
                        >
                        > I couldn't agree more... I've spent my share of tie looking for a space
                        > hidden among the tabs and other such goofy stuff. :)
                        >

                        > Barak
                      • Chris
                        Message 11 of 14 , Nov 1, 2004
                          > Barak, you still having problems with space-tab or tab-space? One

                          Nope. Regular expression searching has taken that chore from me. :)

                          Except when I try and debug a .lst at work where I don't have an editor
                          that does that...

                          Barak
                        • notyetmousse24@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 14 , Nov 2, 2004
                            barak sez...

                            'Except when I try and debug a .lst at work where I don't have an editor that
                            does that...'

                            Easy fix is to run such programs from a USB HD, most computers have one
                            now-a-days, and it keeps you from having to explain to your boss why program X is
                            installed.

                            NotMousse
                            TM, QA Tamarin, Made Emily Smirle laugh

                            what's the point?