Started working making my first .lst files. And have a few questions

  • Brice
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 10, 2002
      I am working on adding a few classes, I got a lot of the tags to work
      so far but I am having problem with one. I want to put a prerec for a
      language. Here is what I put in "PRESKILL:1,Speak Language(sylvan)"
      But when loaded it does not work. It shows but stays red when the
      skill is taken.

      Next question, Under the class level section I want to add a bonus to
      a stat at certin levels. What is the currect tag?

      Next question, Can someone explain SA: & Define: a little better.

      Next question When putting in the tags is there an order that must be
      followed other then for stucture. Also I noticed that there are are
      more "tabs" between some tags then others, is that important?

      That is it for now.
    • Timothy J. Lanza
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 10, 2002
        At 09:37 PM 11/10/2002, Brice wrote:
        >I am working on adding a few classes, I got a lot of the tags to work
        >so far but I am having problem with one. I want to put a prerec for a
        >language. Here is what I put in "PRESKILL:1,Speak Language(sylvan)"
        >But when loaded it does not work. It shows but stays red when the
        >skill is taken.

        You need PRELANG - check the help files for the exact syntax.

        FYI: When using PRESKILL, you need to be careful about spacing. For example, "Knowledge(Arcana)" would not work; the proper bit would be "Knowledge (Arcana)". Also, careful with capitalization, too.

        >Next question, Under the class level section I want to add a bonus to
        >a stat at certin levels. What is the currect tag?

        BONUS:STAT|STR|1

        Change to taste. And yes, this appears to be absent in the documentation.

        >Next question, Can someone explain SA: & Define: a little better.

        SA displays text. If the text has variables in it, you put a % where the variable is meant to show up in the string. At the end, you use a pipe "|" and put the variable name.

        SA:Bardic knowledge (+%)|Bardic knowledge

        If the variable "Bardic knowledge" has a value of 7, this tag will output "Bardic knowledge (+7)" on the character sheet.

        --

        DEFINE is used to create some of these things. Here's the example that goes with the Bardic Knowledge ability.

        BONUS:VAR|Bardic knowledge|CL=Bard+INT
        DEFINE:Bardic knowledge|0

        I have no idea why it's done this way... I'm not sure why they need to DEFINE it as zero before assigning a BONUS to it. I would use DEFINE like so:

        DEFINE:Bardic knowledge|CL=Bard+INT

        That should do the exact same thing as the above two tags. It DEFINEs a variable named "Bardic knowledge" and gives it a value equal to the Bard Class Level, plus the Intelligence modifier.

        >Next question When putting in the tags is there an order that must be
        >followed other then for stucture. Also I noticed that there are are
        >more "tabs" between some tags then others, is that important?

        Not really, no. One tab between is fine. As long as they're all on the same line when they need to be (like as part of a level or race) you're fine.

        The multiple tabs are put in by a script they run on the files. It just pretties them up; makes everything line up neatly.

        >That is it for now.

        Hope it helped.

        --
        Timothy J. Lanza