Re: Non-FRCS Regions

  • guardianlurker
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 29, 2004
      --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "taluroniscandar"
      <mhgj@e...> wrote:
      > Use LANGBONUS in the template.

      Umm. I'm not sure how this answers my question. I do know that
      (according to the docs) it won't result in the correct behavior. I
      don't want to add more bonus languages for high intelligence, but
      more default languages. Hence, the LANGAUTO.

      Let me clairfy the question:
      If I have a single region, and I want to vary the default languages
      for that reason by race, how do I do that?
    • Paul Grosse
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 29, 2004
        > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "taluroniscandar"
        > <mhgj@e...> wrote:
        > > Use LANGBONUS in the template.
        >
        > Umm. I'm not sure how this answers my question. I do know
        > that (according to the docs) it won't result in the correct
        > behavior. I don't want to add more bonus languages for high
        > intelligence, but more default languages. Hence, the LANGAUTO.
        >
        > Let me clairfy the question:
        > If I have a single region, and I want to vary the default
        > languages for that reason by race, how do I do that?

        Do LANGBONUS:<language>|PREREGION:<name of region>. And have a whole
        string of them on the race line. Then based on what region they pick
        that's the language they get.

        Paul G.
      • guardianlurker
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 29, 2004
          --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Grosse"
          <paul.grosse@m...> wrote:
          > Do LANGBONUS:<language>|PREREGION:<name of region>. And have a whole
          > string of them on the race line. Then based on what region they pick
          > that's the language they get.

          I'm still hung up on the fact that LANGBONUS adds bonus languages
          (i.e. for high int) not default languages. I'll see if it works the
          way I want, but even if it does, I'll say that it probably shouldn't.

          <DING! Light bulb flash>

          Wait, I think I've got it! If I do this (barring the LANGAUTO/BONUS
          issue):
          *** races.lst
          Dwurf\tLANGBONUS:Foo|PREREGION:Foo,Bar,Baz\tLANGBONUS:Argle|PREREGION:
          Margle,Yargle,Smargle
          Hoomon\tLANGBONUS:Dwurf|PREREGION:Foo,Bar,Baz\tLANGBONUS:Arf|PREREGION
          :Margle,Yargle
          Dodo\tLANGBONUS:Bark|PREREGION:Bar,Yargle

          **** templates.lst
          Foo\tREGION:Foo\tPRERACE:Dwurf,Hoomon
          Bar\tREGION:Bar\tPRERACE:Dwurf,Hoomon,Bar
          Baz\tREGION:Baz\tPRERACE:Dwurf,Hoomon
          Margle\tREGION:Margle\tPRERACE:Dwurf,Hoomon
          Yargle\tREGION:Yargle\tPRERACE:Dwurf,Hoomon,Dodo
          Smarlge\tREGION:Smargle\tPRERACE:Dwurf
          *******
          Everything should work the way I want, yes?
        • Paul Grosse
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 29, 2004
            > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Grosse"
            > <paul.grosse@m...> wrote:
            > > Do LANGBONUS:<language>|PREREGION:<name of region>. And
            > have a whole
            > > string of them on the race line. Then based on what region
            > they pick
            > > that's the language they get.
            >
            > I'm still hung up on the fact that LANGBONUS adds bonus
            > languages (i.e. for high int) not default languages. I'll see
            > if it works the way I want, but even if it does, I'll say
            > that it probably shouldn't.
            >
            > <DING! Light bulb flash>
            >
            > Wait, I think I've got it! If I do this (barring the LANGAUTO/BONUS
            > issue):
            > *** races.lst
            > Dwurf\tLANGBONUS:Foo|PREREGION:Foo,Bar,Baz\tLANGBONUS:Argle|PREREGION:
            > Margle,Yargle,Smargle
            > Hoomon\tLANGBONUS:Dwurf|PREREGION:Foo,Bar,Baz\tLANGBONUS:Arf|PREREGION
            > :Margle,Yargle
            > Dodo\tLANGBONUS:Bark|PREREGION:Bar,Yargle
            >
            > **** templates.lst
            > Foo\tREGION:Foo\tPRERACE:Dwurf,Hoomon
            > Bar\tREGION:Bar\tPRERACE:Dwurf,Hoomon,Bar
            > Baz\tREGION:Baz\tPRERACE:Dwurf,Hoomon
            > Margle\tREGION:Margle\tPRERACE:Dwurf,Hoomon
            > Yargle\tREGION:Yargle\tPRERACE:Dwurf,Hoomon,Dodo
            > Smarlge\tREGION:Smargle\tPRERACE:Dwurf
            > *******
            > Everything should work the way I want, yes?

            Well I'm not up on regions, but that looks right. And I didn't realize
            you wanted it to be a default language. Why not have the region load a
            template on the race that applies a LANGAUTO:name to it, or just use the
            same LANGAUTO:<language>|PREREGION:<name of region>. Basically when it
            comes down to doing something tricky you will use a) a feat (hidden or
            not) or b) a template.
          • Barak
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 29, 2004
              > From: guardianlurker [mailto:lurker225@...]

              > Let me clairfy the question:
              > If I have a single region, and I want to vary the default languages
              > for that reason by race, how do I do that?

              Why are you using templates?

              Far easier to do one region, separate kits for the languages. Granted you
              can't prvvent them from taking both...

              Barak
            • guardianlurker
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 29, 2004
                <paul.grosse@m...> wrote:
                > Why not have the region load a
                > template on the race that applies a LANGAUTO:name to it, or just use the
                > same LANGAUTO:<language>|PREREGION:<name of region>. Basically when it
                > comes down to doing something tricky you will use a) a feat (hidden or
                > not) or b) a template.

                Actually, that's sounds exactly what I was looking for, except I
                couldn't figure out how to choose a region from the GUI (or at
                character creation which would be even better). So how *do* I have the
                region do the LANGAUTO thingy?
              • guardianlurker
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 29, 2004
                  --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Barak" <barak@v...> wrote:
> [...]

                  Why?

                  1) Couldn't figure out how to have the region show as a choice in the GUI.
                  2) Two step process - pick region, pick kit. Want a one step process -
                  pick region.
                  3) Confilicting kits *very* bad in this case.

                  And 4) That's what I have - want better.
                • lonbarnett1957
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 30, 2004
                    How about implementing as 'hidden feats'?

                    Create a FEAT for each Region that adds all of the languages
                    (LANGAUTO) with each LANGAUTO having a PRERACE tag.

                    --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "guardianlurker"
                    <lurker225@h...> wrote:
                    > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Barak" <barak@v...>

                  • taluroniscandar
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 30, 2004
                      Or a layered template.
                      You can put CHOOSE:TEMPLATE in a template. Create templates for the
                      subregions, put the LANGAUTO tags there and have the region template
                      issue a choose for the subregion.