PRExxx allowed on LANGAUTO?

  • Ian Dale
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 7, 2002
      I don't believe that it's possible to have prerequisites on the
      languages, but just wanted to make sure that I wasn't just missing
      something. Example tried: LANGAUTO:Common (Merlindra)
      |PREREGION:Merlindra. What I figure the program tried to do is to
      load the language "Common (Merlindra)|PREREGION:Merlindra" which
      doesn't exist.

      I may need to have a template selection based on region for the races
      that have this need, but wanted to make sure that there wasn't a way
      to have LANGAUTO check the region, before I went ahead and added a
      template for the language.

      Thanks,
      -Ian
    • Ian Dale
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 7, 2002
        Ack, I just found out that there's another regional difference (for
        one race): one region has an additional favored class. Multiple
        FAVCLASS tags seem to override one another (so you only have the last
        one on the line). Is there some way of getting this handled properly,
        or will I now be forced to have two different races (at least for
        this race): one for each region?

        :\

        -Ian

        --- In PCGenListFileHelp@y..., "Ian Dale" <ian_dale@h...> wrote:
        > I don't believe that it's possible to have prerequisites on the
        > languages, but just wanted to make sure that I wasn't just missing
        > something. Example tried: LANGAUTO:Common (Merlindra)
        > |PREREGION:Merlindra. What I figure the program tried to do is to
        > load the language "Common (Merlindra)|PREREGION:Merlindra" which
        > doesn't exist.
        >
        > I may need to have a template selection based on region for the
        races
        > that have this need, but wanted to make sure that there wasn't a
        way
        > to have LANGAUTO check the region, before I went ahead and added a
        > template for the language.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > -Ian
      • Felipe F. Diniz
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 7, 2002
          If i recall correctly, back in 2.7.3, in Forgotten Realms, there was
          such a thing. The region where the character came from was prompted
          upon selection of a specific template, and it affected the languages
          he could select.

          And if you selected the Drow race, you were also prompted for the sex
          (as male and female have diferent fav class).

          At least, it points out that it may be done... How it is done is
          another mistery.... But this may be an idea...

          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 7, 2002
            Not sure if the REGION stuff will now work or how.

            The old way:  TEMPLATE:CHOOSE:  and a template for each variation within the race. Remember, you can nest TEMPLATES with other TEMPLATE:CHOOSE: tags (we call those called by a TEMPLATE:CHOOSE from another template a subtemplate.)

            Chief LST Chimp
            Strange Monkey
            MM Race Dragon
            Ack, I just found out that there's another regional difference (for
            one race): one region has an additional favored class. Multiple
            FAVCLASS tags seem to override one another (so you only have the last
            one on the line). Is there some way of getting this handled properly,
            or will I now be forced to have two different races (at least for
            this race): one for each region?

            :\

            -Ian

            --- In PCGenListFileHelp@y..., "Ian Dale" <ian_dale@h...> wrote:
            > I don't believe that it's possible to have prerequisites on the
            > languages, but just wanted to make sure that I wasn't just missing
            > something. Example tried: LANGAUTO:Common (Merlindra)
            > |PREREGION:Merlindra. What I figure the program tried to do is to
            > load the language "Common (Merlindra)|PREREGION:Merlindra" which
            > doesn't exist.
            >
            > I may need to have a template selection based on region for the
            races
            > that have this need, but wanted to make sure that there wasn't a
            way
            > to have LANGAUTO check the region, before I went ahead and added a
            > template for the language.
            >
            > Thanks,
            > -Ian
          • Ian Dale
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 7, 2002
              I guess for now I'll just have templates for each region. It's only 3
              races w/ 2 regions, so it's not a lot of work, I was just hoping to
              be able to use the REGION info. But since it's fairly new -- at least
              in the global sense -- it may be a version or two before what would
              be necessary is implemented. :)

              Thanks.

              -Ian

              --- In PCGenListFileHelp@y..., "Tir Gwaith" <thoron-tir-gwaith@l...>

            • Ian Dale
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 7, 2002
                Erg. Except that won't work, because FAVCLASS is a race-specific tag.
                Guess I may need to implement region-specific race entries for now,
                until there's more support for region checks in the files.

                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 7, 2002
                  It is a different tag in TEMPLATE:  FAVOREDCLASS:

                  See mmcreaturetemplates.lst (in the MM folder) for an example... Look at the Drow entires. :)

                  Chief LST Chimp
                  Strange Monkey
                  MM Race Dragon
                  Erg. Except that won't work, because FAVCLASS is a race-specific tag.
                  Guess I may need to implement region-specific race entries for now,
                  until there's more support for region checks in the files.

                  -Ian

                  --- In PCGenListFileHelp@y..., "Ian Dale" <ian_dale@h...> wrote:
                  > I guess for now I'll just have templates for each region. It's only
                  3
                  > races w/ 2 regions, so it's not a lot of work, I was just hoping to
                  > be able to use the REGION info. But since it's fairly new -- at
                  least
                  > in the global sense -- it may be a version or two before what would
                  > be necessary is implemented. :)
                  >
                  > Thanks.
                  >
                  > -Ian
                • Ian Dale
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 8, 2002
                    ...And there it is in the docs... *sigh* I could've sworn I looked in
                    the docs for other favored class entries and didn't find any. Oh
                    well, thanks! Guess it WILL work after all. ;)