[REPOST] Extra skill points at first level only?

  • Ian Dale
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 5, 2002
      Anyone have any ideas? My idea about XTRASKILLPTSPERLEVEL:1 and
      BONUS:SKILLPOINTS|... didn't end up working out. (Perhaps due to
      syntax -- I know some tags seem to only accept numbers and not
      formulae.)

      Thanks,
      -Ian

      --- In PCGenListFileHelp@y..., "Ian Dale" <ian_dale@h...> wrote:
      > Any way of adjusting the number of skill points available at first
      > level? A custom race gets 4 extra skill points at 1st level, and 2
      > extra skill points thereafter. An XTRASKILLPTSPERLEVEL:2 gets the
      > second condition met, but that means that the character will have 4
      > skill points too many. I've found BONUS tags to adjust skill
      > bonuses/ranks and to adjust the number of skill points gained at
      new
      > levels (which COULD work, I suppose with an XTRASKILLPTSPERLEVEL:1,
      > but XTRASKILLPTSPERLEVEL:2 is semantically more correct IMO).
      Nothing
      > to statically add skill points. Which may not be too surprising,
      > though, since skill points are grouped by the class that added them.
      >
      > Will I just need to use XTRASKILLPTSPERLEVEL:1 and a
      > BONUS:SKILLPOINTS|.IF.TL.GT.0.THEN.1.ELSE.0 ? Or is there
      a "better"
      > method of adjusting the race's first-level skill points?
      >
      > Thanks,
      > -Ian
    • Felipe F. Diniz
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 6, 2002
        Try this (i haven't tested my self, but...)

        XTRASKILLPTSPERLEVEL:2
        BONUS:SKILLPOINTS|2|PRELEVELMAX:1

        Felipe Diniz

        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 6, 2002
          --- In PCGenListFileHelp@y..., "Felipe F. Diniz" <fdiniz@i...> wrote:
          > Try this (i haven't tested my self, but...)
          >
          > XTRASKILLPTSPERLEVEL:2
          > BONUS:SKILLPOINTS|2|PRELEVELMAX:1

          Felipe,

          Thanks, but that didn't work out, either. Doesn't seem like the
          SKILLPOINTS are getting adjusted. :\

          -Ian
        • Felipe F. Diniz
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 6, 2002
            Then it looks like SKILLPOINTS does not accept PRExxx....

            If i come up with anything, i'll let you know

            --- In PCGenListFileHelp@y..., "Ian Dale" <ian_dale@h...> wrote:
            > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@y..., "Felipe F. Diniz" <fdiniz@i...>
            wrote:
            > > Try this (i haven't tested my self, but...)
            > >
            > > XTRASKILLPTSPERLEVEL:2
            > > BONUS:SKILLPOINTS|2|PRELEVELMAX:1
            >
            > Felipe,
            >
            > Thanks, but that didn't work out, either. Doesn't seem like the
            > SKILLPOINTS are getting adjusted. :\
            >
            > -Ian
          • Ian Dale
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 6, 2002
              For the heck of it, I tried just using BONUS:SKILLPOINTS|5 (so it's
              obvious if there was a change), and it certainly looks like
              SKILLPOINTS isn't working. :\

              -Ian

              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 6, 2002
                It's not that.

                It has to have a subtag and a delinator first.  BONUS:SKILLPOINTS only has one deliminator ATM: NUMBER...  that adjusts the number of skillpoints granted each level from that point on by the number given.. . It is breaking at the "2" deliminator, going not found, and doing nothing.

                Chief LST Chimp
                Strange Monkey
                MM Race Dragon
                Then it looks like SKILLPOINTS does not accept PRExxx....

                If i come up with anything, i'll let you know

                --- In PCGenListFileHelp@y..., "Ian Dale" <ian_dale@h...> wrote:
                > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@y..., "Felipe F. Diniz" <fdiniz@i...>
                wrote:
                > > Try this (i haven't tested my self, but...)
                > >
                > > XTRASKILLPTSPERLEVEL:2
                > > BONUS:SKILLPOINTS|2|PRELEVELMAX:1
                >
                > Felipe,
                >
                > Thanks, but that didn't work out, either. Doesn't seem like the
                > SKILLPOINTS are getting adjusted. :\
                >
                > -Ian
              • Ian Dale
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 6, 2002
                  --- In PCGenListFileHelp@y..., "Tir Gwaith" <thoron-tir-gwaith@l...>
                  wrote:
                  > It's not that.
                  >
                  > It has to have a subtag and a delinator first. BONUS:SKILLPOINTS
                  only has one deliminator ATM: NUMBER... that adjusts the number of
                  skillpoints granted each level from that point on by the number
                  given.. . It is breaking at the "2" deliminator, going not found, and
                  doing nothing.

                  So then would BONUS:SKILLPOINTS|NUMBER=x be the proper syntax? (And
                  does x need to be a constant, or can it be an expression?)

                  Thanks,
                  -Ian
                • Ian Dale
                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 6, 2002
                    Okay, this seemed to work:

                    XTRASKILLPTSPERLEVEL:2
                    BONUS:SKILLPOINTS|NUMBER|-1|PRELEVELMAX:1

                    A character with +0 INT got 20 skill points at 1st level ( (4+0)
                    x4+4 ), and 6 at 2nd ( (4+0)+2 ).

                    Thanks for the help, both of you. :)

                    -Ian

                    --- In PCGenListFileHelp@y..., "Ian Dale" <ian_dale@h...> wrote:
                    > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@y..., "Tir Gwaith" <thoron-tir-
                    gwaith@l...>
                    > wrote:
                    > > It's not that.
                    > >
                    > > It has to have a subtag and a delinator first. BONUS:SKILLPOINTS
                    > only has one deliminator ATM: NUMBER... that adjusts the number of
                    > skillpoints granted each level from that point on by the number
                    > given.. . It is breaking at the "2" deliminator, going not found,
                    and
                    > doing nothing.
                    >
                    > So then would BONUS:SKILLPOINTS|NUMBER=x be the proper syntax? (And
                    > does x need to be a constant, or can it be an expression?)
                    >
                    > Thanks,
                    > -Ian
                  • Felipe F. Diniz
                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 6, 2002
                      Good to know it worked, but based on the docs i would NEVER get near
                      it. Here follows what's on the 4.1.4 docs:

                      -------------------
                      Tag Name:SKILLPOINTS

                      Variable(s) Used:Numeric

                      Example(s):BONUS:SKILLPOINTS|x

                      WHAT IT DOES: Adds to the number of skill ranks gained when the
                      character gains a level. Not retroactive
                      -------------------

                      Where should i report this for a fix? Here? Tracker? The other PCGen
                      group?

                      Felipe Diniz

                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 6, 2002
                        BONUS:SKILLPOINTS|NUMBER|x   BONUS:<subtag>|<deliminator>|<formula>|<Optional TYPE=>|<optional PRExxx's>

                        X can be a formula, but if it is dynamic, I'm not certain as to the results.

                        Message 11 of 14 , Nov 6, 2002
                          This is good enough....  I'll try to get it fixed in tonight's release.  Alan S, Doc Monkey, if you see this, get with me on IM this weekend if possible.

                          Chief LST Chimp
                          Strange Monkey
                          MM Race Dragon
                          Good to know it worked, but based on the docs i would NEVER get near
                          it. Here follows what's on the 4.1.4 docs:

                          -------------------
                          Tag Name:SKILLPOINTS

                                      Variable(s) Used:Numeric

                                                  Example(s):BONUS:SKILLPOINTS|x

                          WHAT IT DOES: Adds to the number of skill ranks gained when the
                          character gains a level. Not retroactive
                          -------------------

                          Where should i report this for a fix? Here? Tracker? The other PCGen
                          group?

                          Felipe Diniz

                          --- In PCGenListFileHelp@y..., "Ian Dale" <ian_dale@h...> wrote:
                          > Okay, this seemed to work:
                          >
                          > XTRASKILLPTSPERLEVEL:2
                          > BONUS:SKILLPOINTS|NUMBER|-1|PRELEVELMAX:1
                          >
                          > A character with +0 INT got 20 skill points at 1st level ( (4+0)
                          > x4+4 ), and 6 at 2nd ( (4+0)+2 ).
                          >
                          > Thanks for the help, both of you. :)
                          >
                          > -Ian

                        • Felipe F. Diniz