Re: Substitution Levels...

  • gjorbjond
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 2, 2004
      It's very similar. I'm just looking for a shortcut to altering one or
      two aspects of a class without having to create an entirely new class
      entry.

      <paulking.rhochi@v...> wrote:
      > > Level 1 -- Take an additional opposed school, get ability XXX
      > > Level 5 -- Instead of getting the bonus feat, get ability YYY
      > > Level 10 -- Instead of getting the bonus feat, get ability ZZZ
      >
      > Oh, this sounds like the variant Wizards that Unearthed Arcana (an
      > OGC source) has. If you don't get the familiar, you get an ability. I
      > forget what the other 2 options are...don't have book in front of me.
      >
      > Paul W. King
      > TM SB, OGL/PL Chimp, Data Tamarin, BoD
    • obfuscatedus
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 4, 2004
        Unfortunately, short of a complete working of the classes to make
        each level grant modular benefits based on feats/templates, there is
        not an easy way to do this. Heck, even subclasses might be able to
        shortcut your workload here (depending on what exactly is required).

        Specifically in Unearthed Arcana, I have not been able to find an
        easy way to do these 'variants' and have usually resorted to
        additional classes.

        -Robert Biskup

        --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "gjorbjond"
        <chris.r.griffin@c...> wrote:
        > It's very similar. I'm just looking for a shortcut to altering
        one or
        > two aspects of a class without having to create an entirely new
        class
        > entry.
        >
        > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Paul W. King"
        > <paulking.rhochi@v...> wrote:
        > > > Level 1 -- Take an additional opposed school, get ability
        XXX
        > > > Level 5 -- Instead of getting the bonus feat, get ability YYY
        > > > Level 10 -- Instead of getting the bonus feat, get ability
        ZZZ

        > > Oh, this sounds like the variant Wizards that Unearthed Arcana
        (an
        > > OGC source) has. If you don't get the familiar, you get an
        ability. I
        > > forget what the other 2 options are...don't have book in front
        of me.

        > > Paul W. King
        > > TM SB, OGL/PL Chimp, Data Tamarin, BoD
      • taluroniscandar
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 7, 2004
          <paulking.rhochi@v...> wrote:
          > > Level 1 -- Take an additional opposed school, get ability XXX
          > > Level 5 -- Instead of getting the bonus feat, get ability YYY
          > > Level 10 -- Instead of getting the bonus feat, get ability ZZZ
          >
          > Oh, this sounds like the variant Wizards that Unearthed Arcana (an
          > OGC source) has. If you don't get the familiar, you get an ability. I
          > forget what the other 2 options are...don't have book in front of me.

          Very similar. Not exect but close.

          And can mostly be coded into PCGen feats.
        • taluroniscandar
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 7, 2004
            Most of the substitution benefits are likely (in PCGen) to be coded as
            feats.

            Most of the 'replaced' benefits are already coded as feats in PCGen
            (Turn/Rebuke, ranger favored, uncanny dodge, evasion, wizard 5 level
            metamagic, etc).

            The easiest way to support substitution levels would be by .MODing the
            classlevel line ADD:FEAT statement to allow the extra choices.