Re: Substitution Levels...

  • Paul W. King
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 2, 2004
      > Level 1 -- Take an additional opposed school, get ability XXX
      > Level 5 -- Instead of getting the bonus feat, get ability YYY
      > Level 10 -- Instead of getting the bonus feat, get ability ZZZ

      Oh, this sounds like the variant Wizards that Unearthed Arcana (an
      OGC source) has. If you don't get the familiar, you get an ability. I
      forget what the other 2 options are...don't have book in front of me.

      Paul W. King
      TM SB, OGL/PL Chimp, Data Tamarin, BoD
    • gjorbjond
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 2, 2004
        It's very similar. I'm just looking for a shortcut to altering one or
        two aspects of a class without having to create an entirely new class
        entry.

        <paulking.rhochi@v...> wrote:
        > > Level 1 -- Take an additional opposed school, get ability XXX
        > > Level 5 -- Instead of getting the bonus feat, get ability YYY
        > > Level 10 -- Instead of getting the bonus feat, get ability ZZZ
        >
        > Oh, this sounds like the variant Wizards that Unearthed Arcana (an
        > OGC source) has. If you don't get the familiar, you get an ability. I
        > forget what the other 2 options are...don't have book in front of me.
        >
        > Paul W. King
        > TM SB, OGL/PL Chimp, Data Tamarin, BoD
      • obfuscatedus
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 4, 2004
          Unfortunately, short of a complete working of the classes to make
          each level grant modular benefits based on feats/templates, there is
          not an easy way to do this. Heck, even subclasses might be able to
          shortcut your workload here (depending on what exactly is required).

          Specifically in Unearthed Arcana, I have not been able to find an
          easy way to do these 'variants' and have usually resorted to
          additional classes.

          -Robert Biskup

          --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "gjorbjond"
          <chris.r.griffin@c...> wrote:
          > It's very similar. I'm just looking for a shortcut to altering
          one or
          > two aspects of a class without having to create an entirely new
          class
          > entry.
          >
          > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Paul W. King"
          > <paulking.rhochi@v...> wrote:
          > > > Level 1 -- Take an additional opposed school, get ability
          XXX
          > > > Level 5 -- Instead of getting the bonus feat, get ability YYY
          > > > Level 10 -- Instead of getting the bonus feat, get ability
          ZZZ

          > > Oh, this sounds like the variant Wizards that Unearthed Arcana
          (an
          > > OGC source) has. If you don't get the familiar, you get an
          ability. I
          > > forget what the other 2 options are...don't have book in front
          of me.

          > > Paul W. King
          > > TM SB, OGL/PL Chimp, Data Tamarin, BoD
        • taluroniscandar
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 7, 2004
            <paulking.rhochi@v...> wrote:
            > > Level 1 -- Take an additional opposed school, get ability XXX
            > > Level 5 -- Instead of getting the bonus feat, get ability YYY
            > > Level 10 -- Instead of getting the bonus feat, get ability ZZZ
            >
            > Oh, this sounds like the variant Wizards that Unearthed Arcana (an
            > OGC source) has. If you don't get the familiar, you get an ability. I
            > forget what the other 2 options are...don't have book in front of me.

            Very similar. Not exect but close.

            And can mostly be coded into PCGen feats.
          • taluroniscandar
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 7, 2004
              Most of the substitution benefits are likely (in PCGen) to be coded as
              feats.

              Most of the 'replaced' benefits are already coded as feats in PCGen
              (Turn/Rebuke, ranger favored, uncanny dodge, evasion, wizard 5 level
              metamagic, etc).

              The easiest way to support substitution levels would be by .MODing the
              classlevel line ADD:FEAT statement to allow the extra choices.