Re: Substitution Levels...

  • gjorbjond
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 2, 2004
      That was just one of the examples. Others were stuff like Paladin
      gives up turning for something else or a ranger gives up a favored
      enemy. The easiest thing would be to have the capability to .MOD a
      particular level of a class. Barring that, the ability to set up a
      template to back out all the things a class gets at that level and
      replace it with new abilities.

      --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "blithwyn" <blithwyn@y...>

    • Paul W. King
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 2, 2004
        > Level 1 -- Take an additional opposed school, get ability XXX
        > Level 5 -- Instead of getting the bonus feat, get ability YYY
        > Level 10 -- Instead of getting the bonus feat, get ability ZZZ

        Oh, this sounds like the variant Wizards that Unearthed Arcana (an
        OGC source) has. If you don't get the familiar, you get an ability. I
        forget what the other 2 options are...don't have book in front of me.

        Paul W. King
        TM SB, OGL/PL Chimp, Data Tamarin, BoD
      • gjorbjond
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 2, 2004
          It's very similar. I'm just looking for a shortcut to altering one or
          two aspects of a class without having to create an entirely new class
          entry.

          <paulking.rhochi@v...> wrote:
          > > Level 1 -- Take an additional opposed school, get ability XXX
          > > Level 5 -- Instead of getting the bonus feat, get ability YYY
          > > Level 10 -- Instead of getting the bonus feat, get ability ZZZ
          >
          > Oh, this sounds like the variant Wizards that Unearthed Arcana (an
          > OGC source) has. If you don't get the familiar, you get an ability. I
          > forget what the other 2 options are...don't have book in front of me.
          >
          > Paul W. King
          > TM SB, OGL/PL Chimp, Data Tamarin, BoD
        • obfuscatedus
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 4, 2004
            Unfortunately, short of a complete working of the classes to make
            each level grant modular benefits based on feats/templates, there is
            not an easy way to do this. Heck, even subclasses might be able to
            shortcut your workload here (depending on what exactly is required).

            Specifically in Unearthed Arcana, I have not been able to find an
            easy way to do these 'variants' and have usually resorted to
            additional classes.

            -Robert Biskup

            <chris.r.griffin@c...> wrote:
            > It's very similar. I'm just looking for a shortcut to altering
            one or
            > two aspects of a class without having to create an entirely new
            class
            > entry.
            >
            > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Paul W. King"
            > <paulking.rhochi@v...> wrote:
            > > > Level 1 -- Take an additional opposed school, get ability
            XXX
            > > > Level 5 -- Instead of getting the bonus feat, get ability YYY
            > > > Level 10 -- Instead of getting the bonus feat, get ability
            ZZZ

            > > Oh, this sounds like the variant Wizards that Unearthed Arcana
            (an
            > > OGC source) has. If you don't get the familiar, you get an
            ability. I
            > > forget what the other 2 options are...don't have book in front
            of me.

            > > Paul W. King
            > > TM SB, OGL/PL Chimp, Data Tamarin, BoD
          • taluroniscandar
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 7, 2004
              <paulking.rhochi@v...> wrote:
              > > Level 1 -- Take an additional opposed school, get ability XXX
              > > Level 5 -- Instead of getting the bonus feat, get ability YYY
              > > Level 10 -- Instead of getting the bonus feat, get ability ZZZ
              >
              > Oh, this sounds like the variant Wizards that Unearthed Arcana (an
              > OGC source) has. If you don't get the familiar, you get an ability. I
              > forget what the other 2 options are...don't have book in front of me.

              Very similar. Not exect but close.

              And can mostly be coded into PCGen feats.
            • taluroniscandar
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 7, 2004
                Most of the substitution benefits are likely (in PCGen) to be coded as
                feats.

                Most of the 'replaced' benefits are already coded as feats in PCGen
                (Turn/Rebuke, ranger favored, uncanny dodge, evasion, wizard 5 level
                metamagic, etc).

                The easiest way to support substitution levels would be by .MODing the
                classlevel line ADD:FEAT statement to allow the extra choices.