Re: Substitution Levels...

  • blithwyn
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 2, 2004
      I don't have the books either so I may be far off here.
      The level 5 and 10 looks doable.
      Just make hidden feat/s of type Metamagic (with a PRExx or two to
      control availability). Let then that feat give you the desired
      ability, whatever that can be.
      (The only issue is to avoid giving the choice to other classes that
      grant Metamagic feats)

      Ratheof Blithwyn
      Data Lemur

      --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "gjorbjond"
      <chris.r.griffin@c...> wrote:
      > As an example:
      >
      > XXXX Wizard substitution levels:
      >
      > Level 1 -- Take an additional opposed school, get ability XXX
      > Level 5 -- Instead of getting the bonus feat, get ability YYY
      > Level 10 -- Instead of getting the bonus feat, get ability ZZZ
      >
      > The only way I can see to do it currently is to make an entirely
      > different class with the benifits for the appropriate levels replaced.
      > That's not really a good solution though since you can choose to take
      > or not take each substitution level individually, but only at the time
      > you take the level of the appropriate class. Is there a way to set up
      > a template to replace the normal stuff for a level of a given class
      > with a new set of abilities?
      >

      > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Eddy Anthony <eddyba@m...>
      > wrote:
      > > On 9/2/04 10:16 AM, "gjorbjond" <chris.r.griffin@c...> wrote:
      > >
      > > > Any ideas about the best way to go about implementing substitution
      > > > levels like those in the Planar Handbook and Races of Stone, or are
      > > > there code issues that need to be addressed before this is possible?
      > >
      > > PCGen cannot include these two books because they are closed content
      > but I'd
      > > be interested to know what the concept here is, I haven't yet bought
      > these
      > > books. The idea might show up in a book we can do, could you
      elaborate.

      > > With a clear idea of what is needed we could take this over to
      > LSTFileHelp
      > > and talk about it in generic terms.
      > > --
      > > ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
      > > ~ PCGen Content Silverback
    • gjorbjond
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 2, 2004
        That was just one of the examples. Others were stuff like Paladin
        gives up turning for something else or a ranger gives up a favored
        enemy. The easiest thing would be to have the capability to .MOD a
        particular level of a class. Barring that, the ability to set up a
        template to back out all the things a class gets at that level and
        replace it with new abilities.

        --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "blithwyn" <blithwyn@y...>

      • Paul W. King
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 2, 2004
          > Level 1 -- Take an additional opposed school, get ability XXX
          > Level 5 -- Instead of getting the bonus feat, get ability YYY
          > Level 10 -- Instead of getting the bonus feat, get ability ZZZ

          Oh, this sounds like the variant Wizards that Unearthed Arcana (an
          OGC source) has. If you don't get the familiar, you get an ability. I
          forget what the other 2 options are...don't have book in front of me.

          Paul W. King
          TM SB, OGL/PL Chimp, Data Tamarin, BoD
        • gjorbjond
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 2, 2004
            It's very similar. I'm just looking for a shortcut to altering one or
            two aspects of a class without having to create an entirely new class
            entry.

            <paulking.rhochi@v...> wrote:
            > > Level 1 -- Take an additional opposed school, get ability XXX
            > > Level 5 -- Instead of getting the bonus feat, get ability YYY
            > > Level 10 -- Instead of getting the bonus feat, get ability ZZZ
            >
            > Oh, this sounds like the variant Wizards that Unearthed Arcana (an
            > OGC source) has. If you don't get the familiar, you get an ability. I
            > forget what the other 2 options are...don't have book in front of me.
            >
            > Paul W. King
            > TM SB, OGL/PL Chimp, Data Tamarin, BoD
          • obfuscatedus
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 4, 2004
              Unfortunately, short of a complete working of the classes to make
              each level grant modular benefits based on feats/templates, there is
              not an easy way to do this. Heck, even subclasses might be able to
              shortcut your workload here (depending on what exactly is required).

              Specifically in Unearthed Arcana, I have not been able to find an
              easy way to do these 'variants' and have usually resorted to
              additional classes.

              -Robert Biskup

              <chris.r.griffin@c...> wrote:
              > It's very similar. I'm just looking for a shortcut to altering
              one or
              > two aspects of a class without having to create an entirely new
              class
              > entry.
              >
              > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Paul W. King"
              > <paulking.rhochi@v...> wrote:
              > > > Level 1 -- Take an additional opposed school, get ability
              XXX
              > > > Level 5 -- Instead of getting the bonus feat, get ability YYY
              > > > Level 10 -- Instead of getting the bonus feat, get ability
              ZZZ

              > > Oh, this sounds like the variant Wizards that Unearthed Arcana
              (an
              > > OGC source) has. If you don't get the familiar, you get an
              ability. I
              > > forget what the other 2 options are...don't have book in front
              of me.

              > > Paul W. King
              > > TM SB, OGL/PL Chimp, Data Tamarin, BoD
            • taluroniscandar
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 7, 2004
                <paulking.rhochi@v...> wrote:
                > > Level 1 -- Take an additional opposed school, get ability XXX
                > > Level 5 -- Instead of getting the bonus feat, get ability YYY
                > > Level 10 -- Instead of getting the bonus feat, get ability ZZZ
                >
                > Oh, this sounds like the variant Wizards that Unearthed Arcana (an
                > OGC source) has. If you don't get the familiar, you get an ability. I
                > forget what the other 2 options are...don't have book in front of me.

                Very similar. Not exect but close.

                And can mostly be coded into PCGen feats.
              • taluroniscandar
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 7, 2004
                  Most of the substitution benefits are likely (in PCGen) to be coded as
                  feats.

                  Most of the 'replaced' benefits are already coded as feats in PCGen
                  (Turn/Rebuke, ranger favored, uncanny dodge, evasion, wizard 5 level
                  metamagic, etc).

                  The easiest way to support substitution levels would be by .MODing the
                  classlevel line ADD:FEAT statement to allow the extra choices.