Re: [PCGenListFileHelp] Substitution Levels...

  • Eddy Anthony
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 2, 2004
      On 9/2/04 10:48 AM, "Paul Grosse" <paul.grosse@...> wrote:

      > Ummm Eddy, we are in Lsthelp :)
      >
      > Paul G.

      Er.. Sorry.
      I'm at work and all my PCGen mail gets routed to one folder unlike the setup
      I have at home. I got all confusled ;)
      That¹s what I get for trying to read mail and preflight three magazines at
      the same time.
      --
      ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
      ~ PCGen Content Silverback
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 2, 2004
        As an example:

        XXXX Wizard substitution levels:

        Level 1 -- Take an additional opposed school, get ability XXX
        Level 5 -- Instead of getting the bonus feat, get ability YYY
        Level 10 -- Instead of getting the bonus feat, get ability ZZZ

        The only way I can see to do it currently is to make an entirely
        different class with the benifits for the appropriate levels replaced.
        That's not really a good solution though since you can choose to take
        or not take each substitution level individually, but only at the time
        you take the level of the appropriate class. Is there a way to set up
        a template to replace the normal stuff for a level of a given class
        with a new set of abilities?

        --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Eddy Anthony <eddyba@m...>
        wrote:
        > On 9/2/04 10:16 AM, "gjorbjond" <chris.r.griffin@c...> wrote:
        >
        > > Any ideas about the best way to go about implementing substitution
        > > levels like those in the Planar Handbook and Races of Stone, or are
        > > there code issues that need to be addressed before this is possible?
        >
        > PCGen cannot include these two books because they are closed content
        but I'd
        > be interested to know what the concept here is, I haven't yet bought
        these
        > books. The idea might show up in a book we can do, could you elaborate.
        >
        > With a clear idea of what is needed we could take this over to
        LSTFileHelp
        > and talk about it in generic terms.
        > --
        > ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
        > ~ PCGen Content Silverback
      • blithwyn
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 2, 2004
          I don't have the books either so I may be far off here.
          The level 5 and 10 looks doable.
          Just make hidden feat/s of type Metamagic (with a PRExx or two to
          control availability). Let then that feat give you the desired
          ability, whatever that can be.
          (The only issue is to avoid giving the choice to other classes that
          grant Metamagic feats)

          Ratheof Blithwyn
          Data Lemur

          --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "gjorbjond"
          <chris.r.griffin@c...> wrote:
          > As an example:
          >
          > XXXX Wizard substitution levels:
          >
          > Level 1 -- Take an additional opposed school, get ability XXX
          > Level 5 -- Instead of getting the bonus feat, get ability YYY
          > Level 10 -- Instead of getting the bonus feat, get ability ZZZ
          >
          > The only way I can see to do it currently is to make an entirely
          > different class with the benifits for the appropriate levels replaced.
          > That's not really a good solution though since you can choose to take
          > or not take each substitution level individually, but only at the time
          > you take the level of the appropriate class. Is there a way to set up
          > a template to replace the normal stuff for a level of a given class
          > with a new set of abilities?
          >

          > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Eddy Anthony <eddyba@m...>
          > wrote:
          > > On 9/2/04 10:16 AM, "gjorbjond" <chris.r.griffin@c...> wrote:
          > >
          > > > Any ideas about the best way to go about implementing substitution
          > > > levels like those in the Planar Handbook and Races of Stone, or are
          > > > there code issues that need to be addressed before this is possible?
          > >
          > > PCGen cannot include these two books because they are closed content
          > but I'd
          > > be interested to know what the concept here is, I haven't yet bought
          > these
          > > books. The idea might show up in a book we can do, could you
          elaborate.

          > > With a clear idea of what is needed we could take this over to
          > LSTFileHelp
          > > and talk about it in generic terms.
          > > --
          > > ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
          > > ~ PCGen Content Silverback
        • gjorbjond
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 2, 2004
            That was just one of the examples. Others were stuff like Paladin
            gives up turning for something else or a ranger gives up a favored
            enemy. The easiest thing would be to have the capability to .MOD a
            particular level of a class. Barring that, the ability to set up a
            template to back out all the things a class gets at that level and
            replace it with new abilities.

            --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "blithwyn" <blithwyn@y...>

          • Paul W. King
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 2, 2004
              > Level 1 -- Take an additional opposed school, get ability XXX
              > Level 5 -- Instead of getting the bonus feat, get ability YYY
              > Level 10 -- Instead of getting the bonus feat, get ability ZZZ

              Oh, this sounds like the variant Wizards that Unearthed Arcana (an
              OGC source) has. If you don't get the familiar, you get an ability. I
              forget what the other 2 options are...don't have book in front of me.

              Paul W. King
              TM SB, OGL/PL Chimp, Data Tamarin, BoD
            • gjorbjond
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 2, 2004
                It's very similar. I'm just looking for a shortcut to altering one or
                two aspects of a class without having to create an entirely new class
                entry.

                <paulking.rhochi@v...> wrote:
                > > Level 1 -- Take an additional opposed school, get ability XXX
                > > Level 5 -- Instead of getting the bonus feat, get ability YYY
                > > Level 10 -- Instead of getting the bonus feat, get ability ZZZ
                >
                > Oh, this sounds like the variant Wizards that Unearthed Arcana (an
                > OGC source) has. If you don't get the familiar, you get an ability. I
                > forget what the other 2 options are...don't have book in front of me.
                >
                > Paul W. King
                > TM SB, OGL/PL Chimp, Data Tamarin, BoD
              • obfuscatedus
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 4, 2004
                  Unfortunately, short of a complete working of the classes to make
                  each level grant modular benefits based on feats/templates, there is
                  not an easy way to do this. Heck, even subclasses might be able to
                  shortcut your workload here (depending on what exactly is required).

                  Specifically in Unearthed Arcana, I have not been able to find an
                  easy way to do these 'variants' and have usually resorted to
                  additional classes.

                  -Robert Biskup

                  <chris.r.griffin@c...> wrote:
                  > It's very similar. I'm just looking for a shortcut to altering
                  one or
                  > two aspects of a class without having to create an entirely new
                  class
                  > entry.
                  >
                  > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Paul W. King"
                  > <paulking.rhochi@v...> wrote:
                  > > > Level 1 -- Take an additional opposed school, get ability
                  XXX
                  > > > Level 5 -- Instead of getting the bonus feat, get ability YYY
                  > > > Level 10 -- Instead of getting the bonus feat, get ability
                  ZZZ

                  > > Oh, this sounds like the variant Wizards that Unearthed Arcana
                  (an
                  > > OGC source) has. If you don't get the familiar, you get an
                  ability. I
                  > > forget what the other 2 options are...don't have book in front
                  of me.

                  > > Paul W. King
                  > > TM SB, OGL/PL Chimp, Data Tamarin, BoD
                • taluroniscandar
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 7, 2004
                    <paulking.rhochi@v...> wrote:
                    > > Level 1 -- Take an additional opposed school, get ability XXX
                    > > Level 5 -- Instead of getting the bonus feat, get ability YYY
                    > > Level 10 -- Instead of getting the bonus feat, get ability ZZZ
                    >
                    > Oh, this sounds like the variant Wizards that Unearthed Arcana (an
                    > OGC source) has. If you don't get the familiar, you get an ability. I
                    > forget what the other 2 options are...don't have book in front of me.

                    Very similar. Not exect but close.

                    And can mostly be coded into PCGen feats.
                  • taluroniscandar
                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 7, 2004
                      Most of the substitution benefits are likely (in PCGen) to be coded as
                      feats.

                      Most of the 'replaced' benefits are already coded as feats in PCGen
                      (Turn/Rebuke, ranger favored, uncanny dodge, evasion, wizard 5 level
                      metamagic, etc).

                      The easiest way to support substitution levels would be by .MODing the
                      classlevel line ADD:FEAT statement to allow the extra choices.