Re: [PCGenListFileHelp] Language Problem

  • Eddy Anthony
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 2004
      On 9/1/04 6:16 AM, "rbsealey" <rbsealey@...> wrote:

      > For the .lst files I've created, there are no LANGBONUS languages.
      > Some races and classes get LANGAUTO languages, but there should be
      > no languages given for high intelligence. But in testing, I've
      > found that no matter what I do to the race and class .lst files, I
      > can't keep PCgen from giving me the option of adding languages
      > (under the Abilities button, Other). Is there some way to disable
      > the languages-for-intelligence thing? My game is for modern rules,
      > and it's not realistic for every character to have numerous
      > languages.

      The number of bonus languages a PC gets due to INT is set in the gameMode
      files with this tag: BONUS:LANG|BONUS|INT

      Don't know if this would work but I would try this in the race line:

      BONUS:LANG|BONUS|-INT

      If that doesn't work (and it likely won't) then you might consider making
      your own gameMode and deleting that tag from the statsandchecks.lst file.

      Also be aware that there is a bug with languages (may be fixed, I haven't
      checked) in that no matter what bonus languages are specified in the race
      file when it comes time to choose all of the languages are listed to choose
      from. It could be that when this bug is squashed listing no bonus languages
      will prevent a PC from adding any that way.

      <end LST speak>

      This is just my opinion but I disagree regarding how realistic know multiple
      languges is. Culturally as an American I think its not really encouraged
      here but in Europe and elsewhere in the world its quite common for people to
      speak multiple languages. Just my 2¢, feel free to ignore ;)
      --
      ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
      ~ PCGen Content Silverback
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 1, 2004
        --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Eddy Anthony <eddyba@m...>
        wrote:
        > The number of bonus languages a PC gets due to INT is set in the
        gameMode
        > files with this tag: BONUS:LANG|BONUS|INT

        Thanks. I took that line out of the gamemode file and that fixed
        the problem.

        > This is just my opinion but I disagree regarding how realistic
        know multiple
        > languges is. Culturally as an American I think its not really
        encouraged
        > here but in Europe and elsewhere in the world its quite common for
        people to
        > speak multiple languages. Just my 2¢, feel free to ignore ;)

        I agree, but I don't want characters just to "get" languages unless
        they have studied to get them (via the Speak Other Language skill)
        or come by them culturally (LANGAUTO entries for different
        nationalities).