Extra skill points at first level only?

  • Ian Dale
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 29, 2002
      Any way of adjusting the number of skill points available at first
      level? A custom race gets 4 extra skill points at 1st level, and 2
      extra skill points thereafter. An XTRASKILLPTSPERLEVEL:2 gets the
      second condition met, but that means that the character will have 4
      skill points too many. I've found BONUS tags to adjust skill
      bonuses/ranks and to adjust the number of skill points gained at new
      levels (which COULD work, I suppose with an XTRASKILLPTSPERLEVEL:1,
      but XTRASKILLPTSPERLEVEL:2 is semantically more correct IMO). Nothing
      to statically add skill points. Which may not be too surprising,
      though, since skill points are grouped by the class that added them.

      Will I just need to use XTRASKILLPTSPERLEVEL:1 and a
      BONUS:SKILLPOINTS|.IF.TL.GT.0.THEN.1.ELSE.0 ? Or is there a "better"
      method of adjusting the race's first-level skill points?

      Thanks,
      -Ian
    • Ian Dale
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 31, 2002
        --- In PCGenListFileHelp@y..., "Ian Dale" <ian_dale@h...> wrote:
        > Will I just need to use XTRASKILLPTSPERLEVEL:1 and a
        > BONUS:SKILLPOINTS|.IF.TL.GT.0.THEN.1.ELSE.0 ? Or is there
        a "better"
        > method of adjusting the race's first-level skill points?

        Just tried this, and it doesn't work. The character had an INT
        modifier of 0, and on the first level got 20 points like he was
        supposed to ((4+0)x4+4=20), but on the second and third he only got
        5, instead of 6 (4+2=6).

        -Ian
      • Ian Dale
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 5, 2002
          Anyone have any ideas? My idea about XTRASKILLPTSPERLEVEL:1 and
          BONUS:SKILLPOINTS|... didn't end up working out. (Perhaps due to
          syntax -- I know some tags seem to only accept numbers and not
          formulae.)

          Thanks,
          -Ian

          --- In PCGenListFileHelp@y..., "Ian Dale" <ian_dale@h...> wrote:
          > Any way of adjusting the number of skill points available at first
          > level? A custom race gets 4 extra skill points at 1st level, and 2
          > extra skill points thereafter. An XTRASKILLPTSPERLEVEL:2 gets the
          > second condition met, but that means that the character will have 4
          > skill points too many. I've found BONUS tags to adjust skill
          > bonuses/ranks and to adjust the number of skill points gained at
          new
          > levels (which COULD work, I suppose with an XTRASKILLPTSPERLEVEL:1,
          > but XTRASKILLPTSPERLEVEL:2 is semantically more correct IMO).
          Nothing
          > to statically add skill points. Which may not be too surprising,
          > though, since skill points are grouped by the class that added them.
          >
          > Will I just need to use XTRASKILLPTSPERLEVEL:1 and a
          > BONUS:SKILLPOINTS|.IF.TL.GT.0.THEN.1.ELSE.0 ? Or is there
          a "better"
          > method of adjusting the race's first-level skill points?
          >
          > Thanks,
          > -Ian
        • Felipe F. Diniz
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 6, 2002
            Try this (i haven't tested my self, but...)

            XTRASKILLPTSPERLEVEL:2
            BONUS:SKILLPOINTS|2|PRELEVELMAX:1

            Felipe Diniz

            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 6, 2002
              --- In PCGenListFileHelp@y..., "Felipe F. Diniz" <fdiniz@i...> wrote:
              > Try this (i haven't tested my self, but...)
              >
              > XTRASKILLPTSPERLEVEL:2
              > BONUS:SKILLPOINTS|2|PRELEVELMAX:1

              Felipe,

              Thanks, but that didn't work out, either. Doesn't seem like the
              SKILLPOINTS are getting adjusted. :\

              -Ian
            • Felipe F. Diniz
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 6, 2002
                Then it looks like SKILLPOINTS does not accept PRExxx....

                If i come up with anything, i'll let you know

                --- In PCGenListFileHelp@y..., "Ian Dale" <ian_dale@h...> wrote:
                > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@y..., "Felipe F. Diniz" <fdiniz@i...>
                wrote:
                > > Try this (i haven't tested my self, but...)
                > >
                > > XTRASKILLPTSPERLEVEL:2
                > > BONUS:SKILLPOINTS|2|PRELEVELMAX:1
                >
                > Felipe,
                >
                > Thanks, but that didn't work out, either. Doesn't seem like the
                > SKILLPOINTS are getting adjusted. :\
                >
                > -Ian
              • Ian Dale
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 6, 2002
                  For the heck of it, I tried just using BONUS:SKILLPOINTS|5 (so it's
                  obvious if there was a change), and it certainly looks like
                  SKILLPOINTS isn't working. :\

                  -Ian

                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 6, 2002
                    It's not that.

                    It has to have a subtag and a delinator first.  BONUS:SKILLPOINTS only has one deliminator ATM: NUMBER...  that adjusts the number of skillpoints granted each level from that point on by the number given.. . It is breaking at the "2" deliminator, going not found, and doing nothing.

                    Chief LST Chimp
                    Strange Monkey
                    MM Race Dragon
                    Then it looks like SKILLPOINTS does not accept PRExxx....

                    If i come up with anything, i'll let you know

                    --- In PCGenListFileHelp@y..., "Ian Dale" <ian_dale@h...> wrote:
                    > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@y..., "Felipe F. Diniz" <fdiniz@i...>
                    wrote:
                    > > Try this (i haven't tested my self, but...)
                    > >
                    > > XTRASKILLPTSPERLEVEL:2
                    > > BONUS:SKILLPOINTS|2|PRELEVELMAX:1
                    >
                    > Felipe,
                    >
                    > Thanks, but that didn't work out, either. Doesn't seem like the
                    > SKILLPOINTS are getting adjusted. :\
                    >
                    > -Ian
                  • Ian Dale
                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 6, 2002
                      --- In PCGenListFileHelp@y..., "Tir Gwaith" <thoron-tir-gwaith@l...>
                      wrote:
                      > It's not that.
                      >
                      > It has to have a subtag and a delinator first. BONUS:SKILLPOINTS
                      only has one deliminator ATM: NUMBER... that adjusts the number of
                      skillpoints granted each level from that point on by the number
                      given.. . It is breaking at the "2" deliminator, going not found, and
                      doing nothing.

                      So then would BONUS:SKILLPOINTS|NUMBER=x be the proper syntax? (And
                      does x need to be a constant, or can it be an expression?)

                      Thanks,
                      -Ian
                    • Ian Dale
                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 6, 2002
                        Okay, this seemed to work:

                        XTRASKILLPTSPERLEVEL:2
                        BONUS:SKILLPOINTS|NUMBER|-1|PRELEVELMAX:1

                        A character with +0 INT got 20 skill points at 1st level ( (4+0)
                        x4+4 ), and 6 at 2nd ( (4+0)+2 ).

                        Thanks for the help, both of you. :)

                        -Ian

                        --- In PCGenListFileHelp@y..., "Ian Dale" <ian_dale@h...> wrote:
                        > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@y..., "Tir Gwaith" <thoron-tir-
                        gwaith@l...>
                        > wrote:
                        > > It's not that.
                        > >
                        > > It has to have a subtag and a delinator first. BONUS:SKILLPOINTS
                        > only has one deliminator ATM: NUMBER... that adjusts the number of
                        > skillpoints granted each level from that point on by the number
                        > given.. . It is breaking at the "2" deliminator, going not found,
                        and
                        > doing nothing.
                        >
                        > So then would BONUS:SKILLPOINTS|NUMBER=x be the proper syntax? (And
                        > does x need to be a constant, or can it be an expression?)
                        >
                        > Thanks,
                        > -Ian
                      • Felipe F. Diniz
                        Message 11 of 14 , Nov 6, 2002
                          Good to know it worked, but based on the docs i would NEVER get near
                          it. Here follows what's on the 4.1.4 docs:

                          -------------------
                          Tag Name:SKILLPOINTS

                          Variable(s) Used:Numeric

                          Example(s):BONUS:SKILLPOINTS|x

                          WHAT IT DOES: Adds to the number of skill ranks gained when the
                          character gains a level. Not retroactive
                          -------------------

                          Where should i report this for a fix? Here? Tracker? The other PCGen
                          group?

                          Felipe Diniz

                          Message 12 of 14 , Nov 6, 2002
                            BONUS:SKILLPOINTS|NUMBER|x   BONUS:<subtag>|<deliminator>|<formula>|<Optional TYPE=>|<optional PRExxx's>

                            X can be a formula, but if it is dynamic, I'm not certain as to the results.

                            Message 13 of 14 , Nov 6, 2002
                              This is good enough....  I'll try to get it fixed in tonight's release.  Alan S, Doc Monkey, if you see this, get with me on IM this weekend if possible.

                              Chief LST Chimp
                              Strange Monkey
                              MM Race Dragon
                              Good to know it worked, but based on the docs i would NEVER get near
                              it. Here follows what's on the 4.1.4 docs:

                              -------------------
                              Tag Name:SKILLPOINTS

                                          Variable(s) Used:Numeric

                                                      Example(s):BONUS:SKILLPOINTS|x

                              WHAT IT DOES: Adds to the number of skill ranks gained when the
                              character gains a level. Not retroactive
                              -------------------

                              Where should i report this for a fix? Here? Tracker? The other PCGen
                              group?

                              Felipe Diniz

                              --- In PCGenListFileHelp@y..., "Ian Dale" <ian_dale@h...> wrote:
                              > Okay, this seemed to work:
                              >
                              > XTRASKILLPTSPERLEVEL:2
                              > BONUS:SKILLPOINTS|NUMBER|-1|PRELEVELMAX:1
                              >
                              > A character with +0 INT got 20 skill points at 1st level ( (4+0)
                              > x4+4 ), and 6 at 2nd ( (4+0)+2 ).
                              >
                              > Thanks for the help, both of you. :)
                              >
                              > -Ian

                            • Felipe F. Diniz