Bonus feat at 7th, 13th & 17th

  • Paul Grosse
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 5, 2004
      Is there a easy way to define that ALL classes get a bonus feat from a
      certain set of feats with out making a new gamemode?

      Paul G.
    • Eddy Anthony
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 5, 2004
        On 8/5/04 11:32 AM, "Paul Grosse" <paul.grosse@...> wrote:

        > Is there a easy way to define that ALL classes get a bonus feat from a
        > certain set of feats with out making a new gamemode?
        >
        > Paul G.

        I doubt it, the closest I can think of is MODing all classes with a template
        that uses the LEVEL tag to add the feat at said levels. The problem with
        this is that there is a bug in the LEVEL tag in which the prerequisites are
        not checked for feats granted with this tag.

        [ 900842 ] Feats not checked when granted from TEMPLATE

        I would love to see this fixed as it is needed for Spycraft and Dawnforge.
        --
        ~ Eddy
        ~ PCGen BoD, Docs SB, LST Chimp, TM Lemur
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 5, 2004
          At 11:47 2004.08.05, Eddy Anthony wrote:
          >On 8/5/04 11:32 AM, "Paul Grosse" <paul.grosse@...> wrote:
          >
          >> Is there a easy way to define that ALL classes get a bonus feat from a
          >> certain set of feats with out making a new gamemode?
          >>
          >> Paul G.
          >
          >I doubt it, the closest I can think of is MODing all classes with a template
          >that uses the LEVEL tag to add the feat at said levels. The problem with
          >this is that there is a bug in the LEVEL tag in which the prerequisites are
          >not checked for feats granted with this tag.
          >
          >[ 900842 ] Feats not checked when granted from TEMPLATE
          >
          >I would love to see this fixed as it is needed for Spycraft and Dawnforge.

          There are no BONUS tag that add to the number of FEAT available for a PC. There are STARTFEAT for the initial number of feats for a particular race and ADD:FEAT(...) that pop-up a chooser.

          In the case of Paul, since he wants them for a particular group of feats as opposed to any feat, it would need a ADD:FEAT(TYPE=PaulFeatType). This cannot be done by modifying the game mode either I think.

          Éric "Space Monkey" Beaudoin
          Release Monkey in training
          >> In space, no one can hear you sleep.
          <mailto:beaudoer@...>
        • Paul Grosse
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 5, 2004
            > At 11:47 2004.08.05, Eddy Anthony wrote:
            > >On 8/5/04 11:32 AM, "Paul Grosse"
            > <paul.grosse@...> wrote:
            > >
            > >> Is there a easy way to define that ALL classes get a bonus
            > feat from
            > >> a certain set of feats with out making a new gamemode?
            > >>
            > >> Paul G.
            > >
            > >I doubt it, the closest I can think of is MODing all classes with a
            > >template that uses the LEVEL tag to add the feat at said levels. The
            > >problem with this is that there is a bug in the LEVEL tag in
            > which the
            > >prerequisites are not checked for feats granted with this tag.
            > >
            > >[ 900842 ] Feats not checked when granted from TEMPLATE
            > >
            > >I would love to see this fixed as it is needed for Spycraft
            > and Dawnforge.
            >
            > There are no BONUS tag that add to the number of FEAT
            > available for a PC. There are STARTFEAT for the initial
            > number of feats for a particular race and ADD:FEAT(...) that
            > pop-up a chooser.
            >
            > In the case of Paul, since he wants them for a particular
            > group of feats as opposed to any feat, it would need a
            > ADD:FEAT(TYPE=PaulFeatType). This cannot be done by modifying
            > the game mode either I think.

            > Éric "Space Monkey" Beaudoin

            Grrr, I guess I'll just keep remembering to add a feat at those levels.
          • Eric Beaudoin
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 5, 2004
              At 12:14 2004.08.05, Paul Grosse wrote:
              >> At 11:47 2004.08.05, Eddy Anthony wrote:

              >> feat from

              >> >I doubt it, the closest I can think of is MODing all classes with a
              >> >template that uses the LEVEL tag to add the feat at said levels. The
              >> >problem with this is that there is a bug in the LEVEL tag in
              >> which the
              >> >prerequisites are not checked for feats granted with this tag.
              >> >
              >> >[ 900842 ] Feats not checked when granted from TEMPLATE
              >> >
              >> >I would love to see this fixed as it is needed for Spycraft
              >> and Dawnforge.
              >>
              >> There are no BONUS tag that add to the number of FEAT
              >> available for a PC. There are STARTFEAT for the initial
              >> number of feats for a particular race and ADD:FEAT(...) that
              >> pop-up a chooser.
              >>
              >> In the case of Paul, since he wants them for a particular
              >> group of feats as opposed to any feat, it would need a
              >> ADD:FEAT(TYPE=PaulFeatType). This cannot be done by modifying
              >> the game mode either I think.

              >> Éric "Space Monkey" Beaudoin
              >
              >Grrr, I guess I'll just keep remembering to add a feat at those levels.

              It might be interesting to create hooks for the home modders. We could for example create a place-holder TEMPLATE and/or FEAT that would be called by every CLASS. This could be used for RACE and other filetypes too.

              Paul, why don't you make a FREQ out of this? We probably won't do it anytime soon and it will certainly generate some discussion before we do but I think it would be a good idea.

              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 5, 2004
                On 8/5/04 12:07 PM, "Eric Beaudoin" <beaudoer@...> wrote:

                > There are no BONUS tag that add to the number of FEAT available for a PC.

                Might be useful if there was though.

                > In the case of Paul, since he wants them for a particular group of feats as
                > opposed to any feat, it would need a ADD:FEAT(TYPE=PaulFeatType). This cannot
                > be done by modifying the game mode either I think.

                LEVEL:6:FEAT:TYPE.Fighter will do this as well, but like I said it has
                problems.
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 5, 2004

                  > >> In the case of Paul, since he wants them for a particular group of
                  > >> feats as opposed to any feat, it would need a
                  > >> ADD:FEAT(TYPE=PaulFeatType). This cannot be done by modifying the
                  > >> game mode either I think.

                  > >> Éric "Space Monkey" Beaudoin
                  > >
                  > >Grrr, I guess I'll just keep remembering to add a feat at
                  > those levels.
                  >
                  > It might be interesting to create hooks for the home modders.
                  > We could for example create a place-holder TEMPLATE and/or
                  > FEAT that would be called by every CLASS. This could be used
                  > for RACE and other filetypes too.
                  >
                  > Paul, why don't you make a FREQ out of this? We probably
                  > won't do it anytime soon and it will certainly generate some
                  > discussion before we do but I think it would be a good idea.

                  > Éric "Space Monkey" Beaudoin
                  > Founding Member of the Hidden-in-the-Trench Club Release
                  > Monkey in training
                  > >> In space, no one can hear you sleep.
                  > >> Camels to can climb trees (and sometime eat them).
                  > <mailto:beaudoer@...>

                  Hmm, I'll think of how to word correctly and enter it at home this evening.
                • thoron-tir-gwaith@lycos.com
                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 5, 2004
                    > I doubt it, the closest I can think of is MODing all classes with a template
                    > that uses the LEVEL tag to add the feat at said levels. The problem with
                    > this is that there is a bug in the LEVEL tag in which the prerequisites are
                    > not checked for feats granted with this tag.

                    NOT a bug, that is the way it is designed. Same thing as a FEATAUTO.... What we need is ADD:FEAT() implemented into the Template HD and LEVEL tags. That would be a FReq.

                    People way to easily call something a bug if it doesn't work the way they want something for a new situation, albeit they don't realize or stop and think that they might be using it in a new way....

                    > [ 900842 ] Feats not checked when granted from TEMPLATE
                    >
                    > I would love to see this fixed as it is needed for Spycraft and Dawnforge.

                    Agreed. I'd like to see that FEATURE.

                    Tir Gwaith
                    LST Chimp
                  • Paul W. King
                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 5, 2004
                      > Paul, why don't you make a FREQ out of this? We probably won't do
                      > it anytime soon and it will certainly generate some discussion
                      > before we do but I think it would be a good idea.

                      [ 1004156 ] bonus feats for all classes without creating new game mode
                      http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?
                      func=detail&aid=1004156&group_id=25576&atid=384722

                      Paul W. King
                      TM SB, OGL/PL Chimp, Data Tamarin, BoD
                    • blithwyn
                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 5, 2004
                        The main issue I had was that if I use a template with
                        LEVEL:1:FEAT:TYPE.Fighter[tab]LEVEL:3:FEAT:TYPE.Fighter
                        and picked say Dodge at level 1 then I could pick it again at level 3,
                        whereas if I picked something else at level 1 and picked Dodge
                        manually then I couldn't pick it at level 3.
                        Are you saying this is the way it is designed?
                        That is interesting, for what purpose?

                        Ratheof Blithwyn
                        Data Lemur

                        --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, thoron-tir-gwaith@l... wrote:
                        > > I doubt it, the closest I can think of is MODing all classes with
                        a template
                        > > that uses the LEVEL tag to add the feat at said levels. The
                        problem with
                        > > this is that there is a bug in the LEVEL tag in which the
                        prerequisites are
                        > > not checked for feats granted with this tag.
                        >
                        > NOT a bug, that is the way it is designed. Same thing as a
                        FEATAUTO.... What we need is ADD:FEAT() implemented into the Template
                        HD and LEVEL tags. That would be a FReq.

                        > People way to easily call something a bug if it doesn't work the way
                        they want something for a new situation, albeit they don't realize or
                        stop and think that they might be using it in a new way....

                        > > [ 900842 ] Feats not checked when granted from TEMPLATE
                        > >
                        > > I would love to see this fixed as it is needed for Spycraft and
                        Dawnforge.

                        > Agreed. I'd like to see that FEATURE.
                        >
                        > Tir Gwaith
                        > LST Chimp
                      • Barak
                        Message 11 of 16 , Aug 6, 2004
                          Well, that's a bug (IMO).

                          Not checking prerequisites is a feature as Tir said. (Seriously).

                          It should honor the MULT:YES/NO tags, but ignore pre-reqs. Then we should
                          have another tag created that will work the same way but check for pre-reqs
                          too.

                          Barak
                          ~PCGen BoD
                          ~OS Silverback

                        • Eddy Anthony
                          Message 12 of 16 , Aug 6, 2004
                            --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, thoron-tir-gwaith@l... wrote:
                            >>> I doubt it, the closest I can think of is MODing all classes with
                            >>> a template
                            >>> that uses the LEVEL tag to add the feat at said levels. The
                            >>> problem with
                            >>> this is that there is a bug in the LEVEL tag in which the
                            >>> prerequisites are
                            >>> not checked for feats granted with this tag.

                            >> NOT a bug, that is the way it is designed. Same thing as a
                            >> FEATAUTO.... What we need is ADD:FEAT() implemented into the Template
                            >> HD and LEVEL tags. That would be a FReq.
                            >>
                            >> People way to easily call something a bug if it doesn't work the way
                            >> they want something for a new situation, albeit they don't realize or
                            >> stop and think that they might be using it in a new way....

                            If that¹s the case should it not be LEVEL:x:FEATAUTO:TYPE.x or
                            LEVEL:x:VFEAT:TYPE.x? The docs do not indicate this functionality at all and
                            no ones said this is the way it should work in all the months blithwyn's
                            been investigating this.

                            But yeah, I'd like to see this feature too.

                            Message 13 of 16 , Aug 6, 2004
                              > > I doubt it, the closest I can think of is MODing all classes with a
                              > > template that uses the LEVEL tag to add the feat at said
                              > levels. The
                              > > problem with this is that there is a bug in the LEVEL tag
                              > in which the
                              > > prerequisites are not checked for feats granted with this tag.
                              >
                              > NOT a bug, that is the way it is designed. Same thing as a
                              > FEATAUTO.... What we need is ADD:FEAT() implemented into the
                              > Template HD and LEVEL tags. That would be a FReq.
                              >
                              > People way to easily call something a bug if it doesn't work
                              > the way they want something for a new situation, albeit they
                              > don't realize or stop and think that they might be using it
                              > in a new way....
                              >

                              > > [ 900842 ] Feats not checked when granted from TEMPLATE
                              > >
                              > > I would love to see this fixed as it is needed for Spycraft
                              > and Dawnforge.
                              >
                              > Agreed. I'd like to see that FEATURE.
                              >
                              > Tir Gwaith
                              > LST Chimp

                              Right a feat granted by a template shouldn't check for Pre-req because
                              it's a part of the template.
                            • blithwyn
                              Message 14 of 16 , Aug 8, 2004
                                --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Grosse"
                                <paul.grosse@m...> wrote:

                                > > > I doubt it, the closest I can think of is MODing all classes
                                with a
                                > > > template that uses the LEVEL tag to add the feat at said
                                > > levels. The
                                > > > problem with this is that there is a bug in the LEVEL tag
                                > > in which the
                                > > > prerequisites are not checked for feats granted with this tag.
                                > >
                                > > NOT a bug, that is the way it is designed. Same thing as a
                                > > FEATAUTO.... What we need is ADD:FEAT() implemented into the
                                > > Template HD and LEVEL tags. That would be a FReq.
                                > >
                                > > People way to easily call something a bug if it doesn't work
                                > > the way they want something for a new situation, albeit they
                                > > don't realize or stop and think that they might be using it
                                > > in a new way....
                                > >

                                > > > [ 900842 ] Feats not checked when granted from TEMPLATE
                                > > >
                                > > > I would love to see this fixed as it is needed for Spycraft
                                > > and Dawnforge.
                                > >
                                > > Agreed. I'd like to see that FEATURE.
                                > >
                                > > Tir Gwaith
                                > > LST Chimp
                                >
                                > Right a feat granted by a template shouldn't check for Pre-req
                                because
                                > it's a part of the template.

                                This issue is about what choices you get to choose from.
                                The behaviour was inconsistent which is why I (still) consider it a
                                bug.

                                Ratheof Blithwyn
                                Data Lemur
                              • tir_gwaith
                                Message 15 of 16 , Aug 8, 2004
                                  > This issue is about what choices you get to choose from.
                                  > The behaviour was inconsistent which is why I (still) consider it a
                                  > bug.

                                  Ah, ok, I see your reasoning. It is still technically a FReq. I'd
                                  like to see global tags embedded wholesale into the LEVEL and HD tags
                                  of templates. I.e. ADD:FEAT() and VFEAT, etc...

                                  TM's, can you record that Freq? Not high priority, but if a code
                                  monkey ever decides to unwravel the rats nest around templates code,
                                  that would be nice to do.....

                                  Tir Gwaith
                                  LST Chimp
                                • Paul W. King
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Aug 9, 2004
                                    [ 1005836 ] global tags embedded in LEVEL and HD tags of templates
                                    http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1005836&group_id=25