[Warning]Formula conversion to JEP

  • Eric Beaudoin
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 12, 2004
      Hi everyone,

      I've made a script that convert the old formulas to the new JEP style. I'm still tweaking it in order to remove extra parenthesis but it's really just a nice to have.

      In order to do the conversion properly, I will need two things:

      - The list of all the tags that used formulas. I know there are a lot more than what the prettylst.pl script knows to check.

      - I will also need the formulas not to be converted by hand.

      The problem is that for most formulas, the syntax is valid with the old parser and the JEP parser but the result is different.

      For example, the expression 2+3*5 would have returned 25 with the old formula and return 17 with JEP.

      If the formulas are converted by hand, they we get converted again when we run the script. The second conversion will most probably break them. 2+3*5 will get converted to (2+3)*5 which is not good if someone had already done the conversion manually and really want it to return 17.

      So, please hold-on the formula updates for now. It will be far more productive to take that time to do QA once the mega conversion happens.

      Thanks

      √Čric "Space Monkey" Beaudoin (hiding in the trench)
      <mailto:beaudoer@...>