Re: Armor EQMOD cost based on AC

  • tir_gwaith
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 12, 2004
      --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Eddy Anthony <eddyba@m...>
      wrote:
      > What level of Data Monkey do you have to reach before you can start
      casting
      > "LST Magic" spells? ;)

      Doesn't matter. If you can pull stuff out of the tag syntax that
      wasn't originally designed to be there, you've done it, and that is
      pretty much a guarantee you'll get promoted to Chimp (at least if I
      see it; and I'm going to want that kind of firepower helping us on a
      regular basis.) Bryan once dubbed me "Strange Monkey" when I did
      something (prob. related to the dragons, since it was around that
      time) that made some proposed code changes obsolete, since I could do
      it in the data.

      > Thought this might not be possible. OK next impostible task, its
      after
      > breakfast so I'm a little behind, but...
      >
      > I'm coding an EQMOD that grants a bonus to a clerics Turn Level
      Check based
      > on the bonus of the weapon, so if its a +2 weapon it grants +2 to
      the Turn
      > Check. The first thing I tried was 5 bonus tags that had
      PRETYPE:1,Plus1
      > etc.. But that didn't work, all the bonuses were added. The only
      way I can
      > think of is to make 5 separate EQMODs, one for each plus. Anyone
      got a
      > better idea.

      Trick of the trade: (KISS theory application, really) Do it with
      multiple objects first, then go back and combine, taking your time
      (hint, hint, Doug). Makes things a bit easier to see. Until you've
      personally coded something with all of the tags you are using
      multiple times, you will spend prob. 80% of the time testing (unload
      test campaign, Load, new character, test, modify LST, go back to
      PCGen takes a while). I still spend over 40% of my time coding doing
      testing. Granted, I'm usually trying out weird stuff. Our system
      has it's little quirks, and I like to squeeze every last drop out of
      our code. And YES, I believe those numbers will stand even (if/when)
      we go to XML.

      > Another question: is there a way to test off the name of an item
      rather than
      > the items type, I'd guess not but thought I'd ask.

      Yeah, but not such a good idea with the Item customizer, since the
      name can be changed easily, and maybe not with the equipmod for
      applying to an item (for the very reason of names can easily be
      changed in the customizer).

      Tir Gwaith
      LST Chimp
    • Eddy Anthony
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 12, 2004
        On 7/12/04 4:11 AM, "tir_gwaith" <thoron-tir-gwaith@...> wrote:

        > --- Eddy Anthony <eddyba@m...> wrote:
        >> What level of Data Monkey do you have to reach before you can start
        >> casting "LST Magic" spells? ;)
        >
        > Doesn't matter. If you can pull stuff out of the tag syntax that
        > wasn't originally designed to be there, you've done it, and that is
        > pretty much a guarantee you'll get promoted to Chimp (at least if I
        > see it; and I'm going to want that kind of firepower helping us on a
        > regular basis.) Bryan once dubbed me "Strange Monkey" when I did
        > something (prob. related to the dragons, since it was around that
        > time) that made some proposed code changes obsolete, since I could do
        > it in the data.

        Ook ook! monkey powers activate!

        >> Thought this might not be possible. OK next impostible task, its
        >> after breakfast so I'm a little behind, but...
        >>
        >> I'm coding an EQMOD that grants a bonus to a clerics Turn Level
        >> Check based on the bonus of the weapon, so if its a +2 weapon
        >> it grants +2 to the Turn Check. The first thing I tried
        >> was 5 bonus tags that had PRETYPE:1,Plus1 etc.. But that
        >> didn't work, all the bonuses were added. The only way I can
        >> think of is to make 5 separate EQMODs, one for each plus. Anyone
        >> got a better idea.
        >
        > Trick of the trade: (KISS theory application, really) Do it with
        > multiple objects first, then go back and combine, taking your time
        > (hint, hint, Doug). Makes things a bit easier to see. Until you've
        > personally coded something with all of the tags you are using
        > multiple times, you will spend prob. 80% of the time testing (unload
        > test campaign, Load, new character, test, modify LST, go back to
        > PCGen takes a while). I still spend over 40% of my time coding doing
        > testing. Granted, I'm usually trying out weird stuff. Our system
        > has it's little quirks, and I like to squeeze every last drop out of
        > our code. And YES, I believe those numbers will stand even (if/when)
        > we go to XML.

        Good advice. I ended up coding it as 5 eqmods and it works fine.
        I'm sure I spend more time testing then writing, now if I had the dual
        processor G5 I use at work at home that might not be the case. PCGen
        absolutely flies on that box, but don't tell my boss.

        >> Another question: is there a way to test off the name of an item
        >> rather than the items type, I'd guess not but thought I'd ask.

        > Yeah, but not such a good idea with the Item customizer, since the
        > name can be changed easily, and maybe not with the equipmod for
        > applying to an item (for the very reason of names can easily be
        > changed in the customizer).
        >
        > Tir Gwaith
        > LST Chimp

        Didn't think it was a good idea. OK so heres the problem, say theres an
        eqmod that you apply to armor but it gives slightly different bonuses to
        Studded Leather than it does to a Chain Shirt. Type-wise these items are
        identical, what do you do? Don't say shoot the hostage.
        --
        ~ Eddy
        ~ PCGen BoD, Docs SB, Data Tamarin