Re: [PCGenListFileHelp] Re: Armor EQMOD cost based on AC

  • Eddy Anthony
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 11 1:46 PM
      What level of Data Monkey do you have to reach before you can start casting
      "LST Magic" spells? ;)

      Thought this might not be possible. OK next impostible task, its after
      breakfast so I'm a little behind, but...

      I'm coding an EQMOD that grants a bonus to a clerics Turn Level Check based
      on the bonus of the weapon, so if its a +2 weapon it grants +2 to the Turn
      Check. The first thing I tried was 5 bonus tags that had PRETYPE:1,Plus1
      etc.. But that didn't work, all the bonuses were added. The only way I can
      think of is to make 5 separate EQMODs, one for each plus. Anyone got a
      better idea.

      Another question: is there a way to test off the name of an item rather than
      the items type, I'd guess not but thought I'd ask.
      --
      ~ Eddy
      ~ PCGen BoD, Data Tamarin

      Andrew McDougall scribed:
      > Since I just figured it out recently for Natural Armors, BONUS.COMBAT.AC.ARMOR
      > will give you the character's Armor AC, which will include any enhancements on
      > the armor, etc... Won't get the AC value for the piece of equipment. It is
      > as close as I think we can come at this time. At least without performing any
      > "LST Magic"
      >
      > Tir Gwaith
      > LST Chimp
      >
      >>> Do mean different cost for say breastplate vs hide vs scale mail
      >>> which are all medium armors?
      >>>
      >>> Reed
      >>
      >> Yes, the cost is 100 times the AC bonus of the armor.
      >> Has nothing to do with armor type.
    • tir_gwaith
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 12 1:11 AM
        --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Eddy Anthony <eddyba@m...>
        wrote:
        > What level of Data Monkey do you have to reach before you can start
        casting
        > "LST Magic" spells? ;)

        Doesn't matter. If you can pull stuff out of the tag syntax that
        wasn't originally designed to be there, you've done it, and that is
        pretty much a guarantee you'll get promoted to Chimp (at least if I
        see it; and I'm going to want that kind of firepower helping us on a
        regular basis.) Bryan once dubbed me "Strange Monkey" when I did
        something (prob. related to the dragons, since it was around that
        time) that made some proposed code changes obsolete, since I could do
        it in the data.

        > Thought this might not be possible. OK next impostible task, its
        after
        > breakfast so I'm a little behind, but...
        >
        > I'm coding an EQMOD that grants a bonus to a clerics Turn Level
        Check based
        > on the bonus of the weapon, so if its a +2 weapon it grants +2 to
        the Turn
        > Check. The first thing I tried was 5 bonus tags that had
        PRETYPE:1,Plus1
        > etc.. But that didn't work, all the bonuses were added. The only
        way I can
        > think of is to make 5 separate EQMODs, one for each plus. Anyone
        got a
        > better idea.

        Trick of the trade: (KISS theory application, really) Do it with
        multiple objects first, then go back and combine, taking your time
        (hint, hint, Doug). Makes things a bit easier to see. Until you've
        personally coded something with all of the tags you are using
        multiple times, you will spend prob. 80% of the time testing (unload
        test campaign, Load, new character, test, modify LST, go back to
        PCGen takes a while). I still spend over 40% of my time coding doing
        testing. Granted, I'm usually trying out weird stuff. Our system
        has it's little quirks, and I like to squeeze every last drop out of
        our code. And YES, I believe those numbers will stand even (if/when)
        we go to XML.

        > Another question: is there a way to test off the name of an item
        rather than
        > the items type, I'd guess not but thought I'd ask.

        Yeah, but not such a good idea with the Item customizer, since the
        name can be changed easily, and maybe not with the equipmod for
        applying to an item (for the very reason of names can easily be
        changed in the customizer).

        Tir Gwaith
        LST Chimp
      • Eddy Anthony
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 12 6:29 AM
          On 7/12/04 4:11 AM, "tir_gwaith" <thoron-tir-gwaith@...> wrote:

          > --- Eddy Anthony <eddyba@m...> wrote:
          >> What level of Data Monkey do you have to reach before you can start
          >> casting "LST Magic" spells? ;)
          >
          > Doesn't matter. If you can pull stuff out of the tag syntax that
          > wasn't originally designed to be there, you've done it, and that is
          > pretty much a guarantee you'll get promoted to Chimp (at least if I
          > see it; and I'm going to want that kind of firepower helping us on a
          > regular basis.) Bryan once dubbed me "Strange Monkey" when I did
          > something (prob. related to the dragons, since it was around that
          > time) that made some proposed code changes obsolete, since I could do
          > it in the data.

          Ook ook! monkey powers activate!

          >> Thought this might not be possible. OK next impostible task, its
          >> after breakfast so I'm a little behind, but...
          >>
          >> I'm coding an EQMOD that grants a bonus to a clerics Turn Level
          >> Check based on the bonus of the weapon, so if its a +2 weapon
          >> it grants +2 to the Turn Check. The first thing I tried
          >> was 5 bonus tags that had PRETYPE:1,Plus1 etc.. But that
          >> didn't work, all the bonuses were added. The only way I can
          >> think of is to make 5 separate EQMODs, one for each plus. Anyone
          >> got a better idea.
          >
          > Trick of the trade: (KISS theory application, really) Do it with
          > multiple objects first, then go back and combine, taking your time
          > (hint, hint, Doug). Makes things a bit easier to see. Until you've
          > personally coded something with all of the tags you are using
          > multiple times, you will spend prob. 80% of the time testing (unload
          > test campaign, Load, new character, test, modify LST, go back to
          > PCGen takes a while). I still spend over 40% of my time coding doing
          > testing. Granted, I'm usually trying out weird stuff. Our system
          > has it's little quirks, and I like to squeeze every last drop out of
          > our code. And YES, I believe those numbers will stand even (if/when)
          > we go to XML.

          Good advice. I ended up coding it as 5 eqmods and it works fine.
          I'm sure I spend more time testing then writing, now if I had the dual
          processor G5 I use at work at home that might not be the case. PCGen
          absolutely flies on that box, but don't tell my boss.

          >> Another question: is there a way to test off the name of an item
          >> rather than the items type, I'd guess not but thought I'd ask.

          > Yeah, but not such a good idea with the Item customizer, since the
          > name can be changed easily, and maybe not with the equipmod for
          > applying to an item (for the very reason of names can easily be
          > changed in the customizer).
          >
          > Tir Gwaith
          > LST Chimp

          Didn't think it was a good idea. OK so heres the problem, say theres an
          eqmod that you apply to armor but it gives slightly different bonuses to
          Studded Leather than it does to a Chain Shirt. Type-wise these items are
          identical, what do you do? Don't say shoot the hostage.
          --
          ~ Eddy
          ~ PCGen BoD, Docs SB, Data Tamarin