Re: Armor EQMOD cost based on AC

  • Reed Thornton
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 10, 2004
      --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Eddy Anthony <eddyba@m...>
      wrote:
      > I'm trying to make an armor eqipmod in which the cost is based on
      the AC of
      > the armor its being applied to. I can't find a way to test for
      this. Does
      > anyone have any ideas?
      > --
      > ~ Eddy
      > ~ PCGen BoD, Data Tamarin
      > ~ Documentation Silverback

      Do mean different cost for say breastplate vs hide vs scale mail
      which are all medium armors?

      Reed
    • Eddy Anthony
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 10, 2004
        Reed Thornton scribed:

        > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, Eddy Anthony <eddyba@m...>
        > wrote:
        >> I'm trying to make an armor eqipmod in which the cost is based on
        > the AC of
        >> the armor its being applied to. I can't find a way to test for
        > this. Does
        >> anyone have any ideas?
        >> --
        >> ~ Eddy
        >> ~ PCGen BoD, Data Tamarin
        >> ~ Documentation Silverback
        >
        > Do mean different cost for say breastplate vs hide vs scale mail
        > which are all medium armors?
        >
        > Reed

        Yes, the cost is 100 times the AC bonus of the armor.
        Has nothing to do with armor type.
        --
        ~ Eddy
        ~ PCGen BoD, Data Tamarin
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 10, 2004
          Since I just figured it out recently for Natural Armors, BONUS.COMBAT.AC.ARMOR will give you the character's Armor AC, which will include any enhancements on the armor, etc... Won't get the AC value for the piece of equipment. It is as close as I think we can come at this time. At least without performing any "LST Magic"

          Tir Gwaith
          LST Chimp

          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 11, 2004
            What level of Data Monkey do you have to reach before you can start casting
            "LST Magic" spells? ;)

            Thought this might not be possible. OK next impostible task, its after
            breakfast so I'm a little behind, but...

            I'm coding an EQMOD that grants a bonus to a clerics Turn Level Check based
            on the bonus of the weapon, so if its a +2 weapon it grants +2 to the Turn
            Check. The first thing I tried was 5 bonus tags that had PRETYPE:1,Plus1
            etc.. But that didn't work, all the bonuses were added. The only way I can
            think of is to make 5 separate EQMODs, one for each plus. Anyone got a
            better idea.

            Another question: is there a way to test off the name of an item rather than
            the items type, I'd guess not but thought I'd ask.
            --
            ~ Eddy
            ~ PCGen BoD, Data Tamarin

            Andrew McDougall scribed:
            > Since I just figured it out recently for Natural Armors, BONUS.COMBAT.AC.ARMOR
            > will give you the character's Armor AC, which will include any enhancements on
            > the armor, etc... Won't get the AC value for the piece of equipment. It is
            > as close as I think we can come at this time. At least without performing any
            > "LST Magic"
            >
            > Tir Gwaith
            > LST Chimp
            >
            >>> Do mean different cost for say breastplate vs hide vs scale mail
            >>> which are all medium armors?
            >>>
            >>> Reed
            >>
            >> Yes, the cost is 100 times the AC bonus of the armor.
            >> Has nothing to do with armor type.
          • tir_gwaith
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 12, 2004
              wrote:
              > What level of Data Monkey do you have to reach before you can start
              casting
              > "LST Magic" spells? ;)

              Doesn't matter. If you can pull stuff out of the tag syntax that
              wasn't originally designed to be there, you've done it, and that is
              pretty much a guarantee you'll get promoted to Chimp (at least if I
              see it; and I'm going to want that kind of firepower helping us on a
              regular basis.) Bryan once dubbed me "Strange Monkey" when I did
              something (prob. related to the dragons, since it was around that
              time) that made some proposed code changes obsolete, since I could do
              it in the data.

              > Thought this might not be possible. OK next impostible task, its
              after
              > breakfast so I'm a little behind, but...
              >
              > I'm coding an EQMOD that grants a bonus to a clerics Turn Level
              Check based
              > on the bonus of the weapon, so if its a +2 weapon it grants +2 to
              the Turn
              > Check. The first thing I tried was 5 bonus tags that had
              PRETYPE:1,Plus1
              > etc.. But that didn't work, all the bonuses were added. The only
              way I can
              > think of is to make 5 separate EQMODs, one for each plus. Anyone
              got a
              > better idea.

              Trick of the trade: (KISS theory application, really) Do it with
              multiple objects first, then go back and combine, taking your time
              (hint, hint, Doug). Makes things a bit easier to see. Until you've
              personally coded something with all of the tags you are using
              multiple times, you will spend prob. 80% of the time testing (unload
              test campaign, Load, new character, test, modify LST, go back to
              PCGen takes a while). I still spend over 40% of my time coding doing
              testing. Granted, I'm usually trying out weird stuff. Our system
              has it's little quirks, and I like to squeeze every last drop out of
              our code. And YES, I believe those numbers will stand even (if/when)
              we go to XML.

              > Another question: is there a way to test off the name of an item
              rather than
              > the items type, I'd guess not but thought I'd ask.

              Yeah, but not such a good idea with the Item customizer, since the
              name can be changed easily, and maybe not with the equipmod for
              applying to an item (for the very reason of names can easily be
              changed in the customizer).

              Tir Gwaith
              LST Chimp
            • Eddy Anthony
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 12, 2004
                On 7/12/04 4:11 AM, "tir_gwaith" <thoron-tir-gwaith@...> wrote:

                > --- Eddy Anthony <eddyba@m...> wrote:
                >> What level of Data Monkey do you have to reach before you can start
                >> casting "LST Magic" spells? ;)
                >
                > Doesn't matter. If you can pull stuff out of the tag syntax that
                > wasn't originally designed to be there, you've done it, and that is
                > pretty much a guarantee you'll get promoted to Chimp (at least if I
                > see it; and I'm going to want that kind of firepower helping us on a
                > regular basis.) Bryan once dubbed me "Strange Monkey" when I did
                > something (prob. related to the dragons, since it was around that
                > time) that made some proposed code changes obsolete, since I could do
                > it in the data.

                Ook ook! monkey powers activate!

                >> Thought this might not be possible. OK next impostible task, its
                >> after breakfast so I'm a little behind, but...
                >>
                >> I'm coding an EQMOD that grants a bonus to a clerics Turn Level
                >> Check based on the bonus of the weapon, so if its a +2 weapon
                >> it grants +2 to the Turn Check. The first thing I tried
                >> was 5 bonus tags that had PRETYPE:1,Plus1 etc.. But that
                >> didn't work, all the bonuses were added. The only way I can
                >> think of is to make 5 separate EQMODs, one for each plus. Anyone
                >> got a better idea.
                >
                > Trick of the trade: (KISS theory application, really) Do it with
                > multiple objects first, then go back and combine, taking your time
                > (hint, hint, Doug). Makes things a bit easier to see. Until you've
                > personally coded something with all of the tags you are using
                > multiple times, you will spend prob. 80% of the time testing (unload
                > test campaign, Load, new character, test, modify LST, go back to
                > PCGen takes a while). I still spend over 40% of my time coding doing
                > testing. Granted, I'm usually trying out weird stuff. Our system
                > has it's little quirks, and I like to squeeze every last drop out of
                > our code. And YES, I believe those numbers will stand even (if/when)
                > we go to XML.

                Good advice. I ended up coding it as 5 eqmods and it works fine.
                I'm sure I spend more time testing then writing, now if I had the dual
                processor G5 I use at work at home that might not be the case. PCGen
                absolutely flies on that box, but don't tell my boss.

                >> Another question: is there a way to test off the name of an item
                >> rather than the items type, I'd guess not but thought I'd ask.

                > Yeah, but not such a good idea with the Item customizer, since the
                > name can be changed easily, and maybe not with the equipmod for
                > applying to an item (for the very reason of names can easily be
                > changed in the customizer).
                >
                > Tir Gwaith
                > LST Chimp

                Didn't think it was a good idea. OK so heres the problem, say theres an
                eqmod that you apply to armor but it gives slightly different bonuses to
                Studded Leather than it does to a Chain Shirt. Type-wise these items are
                identical, what do you do? Don't say shoot the hostage.
                --
                ~ Eddy
                ~ PCGen BoD, Docs SB, Data Tamarin