FREQ: Documentation Enhancements

  • allencohn
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 23, 2002
      I'm writing to request that a more detailed approach be taken the
      next time the documentation is upgraded. In particular it would help
      me greatly if the usage of the tags was described more precisely. For
      example, the current documentation of the SPELL tag says:

      Tag Name: SPELL

      Variable(s) Used: Text

      Example(s): SPELL:Acid Fog|1|Innate

      Example(s): SPELL:Acid Fog|1|Innate|Spider
      Climb|3|ClassAbility

      WHAT IT DOES: This grants the character spell like abilities. The
      tag | (pipe) delimited and is created in this manner; The name of the
      spell to grant, how many times a day they can use it, and the type of
      spell like ability it is (Innate being most common).

      It would be great if the documentation was more explicit about what
      may be used for each field (and what may *not* be). For example (I'm
      just making this up):

      WHAT IT DOES: This tag grants the character spell-like abilities. A
      single tag can specify one or more abilities. Each ability is
      specified with a set three fields. The | (pipe) character is used to
      separate the sets of fields and the fields within each set.

      The first field in each set is the name of the ability. It is a text
      field and must match a valid spell defined within one of loaded SPELL
      lst files. The second field specifies the number of times per day the
      ability can be used. It must be a non-negative decimal number such
      as "1" or "0.5". The third entry is the type of spell-like ability,
      and must be one of the following: "Innate", "Granted Power",
      or "ClassAbility".

      I've spent hours and hours trying to cobble together my
      customizations, and a majority of that time could have been saved if
      the documentation was more thorough.

      Thanks in advance,
      Allen