Re: Rakshasa

  • andargor
    Message 1 of 14 , May 13, 2004
      --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Edward Grant"
      <grantedw@m...> wrote:

      > Quote RSRD
      > —Spells: A rakshasa character casts spells as a 7th-level sorcerer.
      > If the character takes additional levels of sorcerer, these levels
      > stack with the rakshasa's base spellcasting ability for spells
      known,
      > spells per day, and other effects dependent on caster level. A
      > rakshasa character likewise uses the sum of its

      > Edward Grant
      > masterNone@h...

      This won't help you in the short term, but I believe Tir and Doug are
      working on this. I sent them a list of all RSRD creatures with caster
      levels, and I believe they are reviweing the monster files to put
      them in.

      Andargor
    • Edward Grant
      Message 2 of 14 , May 13, 2004
        --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <barak@v...> wrote:
        > In the races.lst
        > MONSTERCLASS:Rakasha:x (x=number of levels)
        >
        > in a class.lst
        > CLASS:Rakasha
        > (other class info like HD, max levels, etc)
        > 1 ADD:SPELLCASTER(Sorcerer)1
        > 2 BONUS:PCLEVEL|Sorcerer|1
        > 3 BONUS:PCLEVEL|Sorcerer|1
        > etc.

        Ok I did this and it works correctly and even if I add a level of
        sorcer it count the character as an 8 level sorcer.

        Edward Grant
        Message 3 of 14 , May 14, 2004
          1) All races (except true dragons) with spellcasting ability (like the
          Rakshasa) now have the abilities coded into them in the CVS tree. See
          plambert's autobuild for data, and it will work with 5.7.1.

          Tracker [ 950972 ] [RSRD] monsters missing spellcasting abilities. Link
          below for a list of all the monsters that I hit. If I missed any, let Doug
          or me know:
          https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=417816&aid=950972&group_id
          =36698

          2) BONUS:CASTERLEVEL requires a defined class level to add onto, hence
          Barak's point of ADD:SPELLCASTER() which adds a 0 level of the defined
          class, and then bumps Spellcaster level up 1. It is how the RSRD files
          currently have them.

          3) Using anything other than BONUS:CASTERLEVEL|<classname>|1 has consitantly
          caused problems in the past. I didn't test it when writing up the RSRD
          creatures last week, cause I really didn't want to get into serious code-bug
          hunt mode for 5.6.... I used totally |1, and used the same tag twice where
          needed (one or two monsters have more 'caster levels' than HD.) I've also
          noticed problems in the past putting BONUS:CASTERLEVEL in any other object
          than a class level line.

          All of my tests were before the BONUS code overhaul, so they may work now,
          but I just haven't gotten around to testing...

          Tir Gwaith
          LST Chimp

          > What about using a
          >
          > BONUS:CASTERLEVEL|Sorcerer|7
          >
          > On the race line? Wouldn't that make the race itself a 7'th level
          > sorcerer?
          >

          > > In the races.lst
          > > MONSTERCLASS:Rakasha:x (x=number of levels)
          > >
          > > in a class.lst
          > > CLASS:Rakasha
          > > (other class info like HD, max levels, etc)
          > > 1 ADD:SPELLCASTER(Sorcerer)1
          > > 2 BONUS:PCLEVEL|Sorcerer|1
          > > 3 BONUS:PCLEVEL|Sorcerer|1
          > > etc.
          > >
          > > Barak
        • Chris
          Message 4 of 14 , May 14, 2004
            > 3) Using anything other than BONUS:CASTERLEVEL|<classname>|1 has

            AFAIK, the BONUS:CASTERLEVEL tag doesn't increment anything in the way
            of spell progression... it only affects the tags DESC, RANGE, TARGET
            and DURATION that use (CASTERLEVEL) in them.

            It doesn't award more spells known or castable slots that I've noticed.

            Barak
            Message 5 of 14 , May 14, 2004
              Ok, I feel foolish.. BONUS:PCLEVEL is what I meant to say. That's what I
              get for sending it before going to bed. Interesting that Y! didn't get
              around to passing it along until this morning...

              At least when I did the RSRD coding, I did it correctly. :p

              Tir Gwaith
              LST Chimp

              > > 3) Using anything other than BONUS:CASTERLEVEL|<classname>|1 has
              >

              > AFAIK, the BONUS:CASTERLEVEL tag doesn't increment anything in the way
              > of spell progression... it only affects the tags DESC, RANGE, TARGET
              > and DURATION that use (CASTERLEVEL) in them.
              >
              > It doesn't award more spells known or castable slots that I've noticed.
              >
              > Barak

            • Chris
              Message 6 of 14 , May 14, 2004
                > Ok, I feel foolish.. BONUS:PCLEVEL is what I meant to say. That's

                I figured as much. :)

                > At least when I did the RSRD coding, I did it correctly. :p

                That's where it really counts IMO.

                Barak
              • andargor
                Message 7 of 14 , May 14, 2004
                  --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Tir Gwaith" <thoron-tir-
                  gwaith@l...> wrote:
                  > Ok, I feel foolish.. BONUS:PCLEVEL is what I meant to say. That's
                  what I

                  I still think you're not human.

                  ;)

                  Andargor