Rakshasa

  • Edward Grant
    Message 1 of 14 , May 13, 2004
      Ok I just downloaded 5.7.1 and am trying to make a Rakshasa and every
      thing is going fime till I get to the spells. I have no ablity to
      selects spells there are no spells already chosen.

      Quote RSRD
      —Spells: A rakshasa character casts spells as a 7th-level sorcerer.
      If the character takes additional levels of sorcerer, these levels
      stack with the rakshasa's base spellcasting ability for spells known,
      spells per day, and other effects dependent on caster level. A
      rakshasa character likewise uses the sum of its

      How do I add this to the Rakshasa

      Edward Grant
      masterNone@...
    • Paul Grosse
      Message 2 of 14 , May 13, 2004
        I believe you could use a CASTAS:Sorcerer on the race line. But then if
        you take any class it might raise the casting ability. That's the only
        thing I can think of. And yes the Rakasha is a bit messed up, but I
        believe you are the first to mention it.

      • Edward Grant
        Message 3 of 14 , May 13, 2004
          --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Grosse"
          <paul.grosse@m...> wrote:
          > I believe you could use a CASTAS:Sorcerer on the race line. But
          then if
          > you take any class it might raise the casting ability. That's the
          only
          > thing I can think of. And yes the Rakasha is a bit messed up, but I
          > believe you are the first to mention it.

          ok followed you suggestion and was meet with this error:
          Illegal race tag 'CASTAS:Sorcerer' in
          file:/C:/downloads/pcgen571_full/data/d20o
          gl/srd35/rsrd_races_q_r.lst
        • Paul Grosse
          Message 4 of 14 , May 13, 2004
            > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Grosse"
            > <paul.grosse@m...> wrote:
            > > I believe you could use a CASTAS:Sorcerer on the race line. But
            > then if
            > > you take any class it might raise the casting ability. That's the
            > only
            > > thing I can think of. And yes the Rakasha is a bit messed up, but I
            > > believe you are the first to mention it.
            >
            > ok followed you suggestion and was meet with this error:
            > Illegal race tag 'CASTAS:Sorcerer' in
            > file:/C:/downloads/pcgen571_full/data/d20o
            > gl/srd35/rsrd_races_q_r.lst

            Nope, then it's not useable in the Race lines. Let me do some more
            thinking :(
          • Chris
            Message 5 of 14 , May 13, 2004
              In the races.lst
              MONSTERCLASS:Rakasha:x (x=number of levels)

              in a class.lst
              CLASS:Rakasha
              (other class info like HD, max levels, etc)
              1 ADD:SPELLCASTER(Sorcerer)1
              2 BONUS:PCLEVEL|Sorcerer|1
              3 BONUS:PCLEVEL|Sorcerer|1
              etc.

              Barak

              > > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Grosse"
              > > <paul.grosse@m...> wrote:
              > > > I believe you could use a CASTAS:Sorcerer on the race line. But
              > > then if
              > > > you take any class it might raise the casting ability. That's the
              > > only
              > > > thing I can think of. And yes the Rakasha is a bit messed up, but
              > > > believe you are the first to mention it.
              > >
              > > ok followed you suggestion and was meet with this error:
              > > Illegal race tag 'CASTAS:Sorcerer' in
              > > file:/C:/downloads/pcgen571_full/data/d20o
              > > gl/srd35/rsrd_races_q_r.lst
              > >

              > Nope, then it's not useable in the Race lines. Let me do some more
              > thinking :(
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Paul Grosse
              Message 6 of 14 , May 13, 2004
                What about using a

                BONUS:CASTERLEVEL|Sorcerer|7

                On the race line? Wouldn't that make the race itself a 7'th level
                sorcerer?

                > In the races.lst
                > MONSTERCLASS:Rakasha:x (x=number of levels)
                >
                > in a class.lst
                > CLASS:Rakasha
                > (other class info like HD, max levels, etc)
                > 1 ADD:SPELLCASTER(Sorcerer)1
                > 2 BONUS:PCLEVEL|Sorcerer|1
                > 3 BONUS:PCLEVEL|Sorcerer|1
                > etc.
                >
                > Barak
                >
                > > > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Grosse"
                > > > then if
                > That's the
                > > > only
                > messed up, but
                > > >
                > > > ok followed you suggestion and was meet with this error:
                > > > Illegal race tag 'CASTAS:Sorcerer' in
                > > > file:/C:/downloads/pcgen571_full/data/d20o
                > > > gl/srd35/rsrd_races_q_r.lst
                > > >

                > > Nope, then it's not useable in the Race lines. Let me do some more
                > > thinking :(

              • Paul Grosse
                Message 7 of 14 , May 13, 2004
                  Or does it have to have the Sorcerer class for the bonus to apply to?

                  > What about using a
                  >
                  > BONUS:CASTERLEVEL|Sorcerer|7
                  >
                  > On the race line? Wouldn't that make the race itself a 7'th
                  > level sorcerer?
                  >

                  > > In the races.lst
                  > > MONSTERCLASS:Rakasha:x (x=number of levels)
                  > >
                  > > in a class.lst
                  > > CLASS:Rakasha
                  > > (other class info like HD, max levels, etc)
                  > > 1 ADD:SPELLCASTER(Sorcerer)1
                  > > 2 BONUS:PCLEVEL|Sorcerer|1
                  > > 3 BONUS:PCLEVEL|Sorcerer|1
                  > > etc.
                  > >
                  > > Barak

                  > line. But
                  > > That's the
                  > > messed up, but

                  > > > Nope, then it's not useable in the Race lines. Let me do
                  > some more
                  > > > thinking :(

                • andargor
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 13, 2004
                    --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Edward Grant"
                    <grantedw@m...> wrote:

                    > Quote RSRD
                    > —Spells: A rakshasa character casts spells as a 7th-level sorcerer.
                    > If the character takes additional levels of sorcerer, these levels
                    > stack with the rakshasa's base spellcasting ability for spells
                    known,
                    > spells per day, and other effects dependent on caster level. A
                    > rakshasa character likewise uses the sum of its

                    > Edward Grant
                    > masterNone@h...

                    This won't help you in the short term, but I believe Tir and Doug are
                    working on this. I sent them a list of all RSRD creatures with caster
                    levels, and I believe they are reviweing the monster files to put
                    them in.

                    Andargor
                  • Edward Grant
                    Message 9 of 14 , May 13, 2004
                      --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <barak@v...> wrote:
                      > In the races.lst
                      > MONSTERCLASS:Rakasha:x (x=number of levels)
                      >
                      > in a class.lst
                      > CLASS:Rakasha
                      > (other class info like HD, max levels, etc)
                      > 1 ADD:SPELLCASTER(Sorcerer)1
                      > 2 BONUS:PCLEVEL|Sorcerer|1
                      > 3 BONUS:PCLEVEL|Sorcerer|1
                      > etc.

                      Ok I did this and it works correctly and even if I add a level of
                      sorcer it count the character as an 8 level sorcer.

                      Edward Grant
                      Message 10 of 14 , May 14, 2004
                        1) All races (except true dragons) with spellcasting ability (like the
                        Rakshasa) now have the abilities coded into them in the CVS tree. See
                        plambert's autobuild for data, and it will work with 5.7.1.

                        Tracker [ 950972 ] [RSRD] monsters missing spellcasting abilities. Link
                        below for a list of all the monsters that I hit. If I missed any, let Doug
                        or me know:
                        https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=417816&aid=950972&group_id
                        =36698

                        2) BONUS:CASTERLEVEL requires a defined class level to add onto, hence
                        Barak's point of ADD:SPELLCASTER() which adds a 0 level of the defined
                        class, and then bumps Spellcaster level up 1. It is how the RSRD files
                        currently have them.

                        3) Using anything other than BONUS:CASTERLEVEL|<classname>|1 has consitantly
                        caused problems in the past. I didn't test it when writing up the RSRD
                        creatures last week, cause I really didn't want to get into serious code-bug
                        hunt mode for 5.6.... I used totally |1, and used the same tag twice where
                        needed (one or two monsters have more 'caster levels' than HD.) I've also
                        noticed problems in the past putting BONUS:CASTERLEVEL in any other object
                        than a class level line.

                        All of my tests were before the BONUS code overhaul, so they may work now,
                        but I just haven't gotten around to testing...

                        Tir Gwaith
                        LST Chimp

                        > What about using a
                        >
                        > BONUS:CASTERLEVEL|Sorcerer|7
                        >
                        > On the race line? Wouldn't that make the race itself a 7'th level
                        > sorcerer?
                        >

                        > > In the races.lst
                        > > MONSTERCLASS:Rakasha:x (x=number of levels)
                        > >
                        > > in a class.lst
                        > > CLASS:Rakasha
                        > > (other class info like HD, max levels, etc)
                        > > 1 ADD:SPELLCASTER(Sorcerer)1
                        > > 2 BONUS:PCLEVEL|Sorcerer|1
                        > > 3 BONUS:PCLEVEL|Sorcerer|1
                        > > etc.
                        > >
                        > > Barak
                      • Chris
                        Message 11 of 14 , May 14, 2004
                          > 3) Using anything other than BONUS:CASTERLEVEL|<classname>|1 has

                          AFAIK, the BONUS:CASTERLEVEL tag doesn't increment anything in the way
                          of spell progression... it only affects the tags DESC, RANGE, TARGET
                          and DURATION that use (CASTERLEVEL) in them.

                          It doesn't award more spells known or castable slots that I've noticed.

                          Barak
                          Message 12 of 14 , May 14, 2004
                            Ok, I feel foolish.. BONUS:PCLEVEL is what I meant to say. That's what I
                            get for sending it before going to bed. Interesting that Y! didn't get
                            around to passing it along until this morning...

                            At least when I did the RSRD coding, I did it correctly. :p

                            Tir Gwaith
                            LST Chimp

                            > > 3) Using anything other than BONUS:CASTERLEVEL|<classname>|1 has
                            >

                            > AFAIK, the BONUS:CASTERLEVEL tag doesn't increment anything in the way
                            > of spell progression... it only affects the tags DESC, RANGE, TARGET
                            > and DURATION that use (CASTERLEVEL) in them.
                            >
                            > It doesn't award more spells known or castable slots that I've noticed.
                            >
                            > Barak

                          • Chris
                            Message 13 of 14 , May 14, 2004
                              > Ok, I feel foolish.. BONUS:PCLEVEL is what I meant to say. That's

                              I figured as much. :)

                              > At least when I did the RSRD coding, I did it correctly. :p

                              That's where it really counts IMO.

                              Barak
                            • andargor
                              Message 14 of 14 , May 14, 2004
                                --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Tir Gwaith" <thoron-tir-
                                gwaith@l...> wrote:
                                > Ok, I feel foolish.. BONUS:PCLEVEL is what I meant to say. That's
                                what I

                                I still think you're not human.

                                ;)

                                Andargor