Camp Skill/SA/Feat

  • James Surles
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 21, 2004
      In a campaign I'm currently in, our DM has created a "Camp score".
      It has a bonus equal to Max(Int Bonus, Wis Bonus, Con Bonus) + Max
      (Healing, Survival, Knowledge-Nature). Every morning you make a
      camp check with a DC determined by the environmental conditions to
      see if you get sick.

      I'm trying to figure out how to code it in PCGen, but am running
      into a couple of roadblocks.

      #1 - How can I get the total bonus for the skills Healing, Survival,
      and Knowledge (Nature)? (Grabbing the Int bonus, Wis bonus, and Con
      bonus is no trouble at all.)

      #2 - Adding it as a skill would probably be most logical, but it
      won't have a primary attribute and I don't want to allow ranks to be
      taken in it. Is there any way around this? Otherwise, I'll likely
      add it as a special ability, but is there any way around adding this
      special ability for every single class and/or race? Adding it as a
      hidden feat is also a possibility.

      Any thoughts?

      Thanks in advance...
    • Ed Beckwith
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 21, 2004
        Ok, am I reading this correctly, you get the highest of your Int, Wis, or
        Con, and the highest of your Heal, Survival, and Knowledge(nature) skills?

        As for the second part, make it useable untrained, and Exclusive. Since it's
        not on their class skill list and it is exclusive, they cant put ranks into
        it...

        Does (INTMAXWIS)MAXCON work?
      • James Surles
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 21, 2004
          I must have done a decent job of explaining it then, because you are
          indeed reading it correctly. :)

          Making it both untrained and exclusive knocks it off the list of
          skills the character can use. Keeping it non-exclusive is fine,
          however, since it's just for personal use and I'm not going to go
          buying ranks in it.

          Getting the max of the Int, Wis, and Con isn't the problem. What I
          can't figure out is how to get the total bonus from other skills.

          What I have so far:
          Camp
          USEUNTRAINED:YES
          EXCLUSIVE:NO
          BONUS:SKILL|Camp|CampScore
          DEFINE:CampScore|0
          BONUS:VAR|CampScore|(IntMAXCon)MAXWis

          --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Ed Beckwith"
          <Sardonicus@S...> wrote:
          > Ok, am I reading this correctly, you get the highest of your Int,
          Wis, or
          > Con, and the highest of your Heal, Survival, and Knowledge(nature)
          skills?

          > As for the second part, make it useable untrained, and Exclusive.
          Since it's
          > not on their class skill list and it is exclusive, they cant put
          ranks into
          > it...
          >

          > Does (INTMAXWIS)MAXCON work?
        • Barak
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 21, 2004
            > Camp
            > USEUNTRAINED:YES
            > EXCLUSIVE:NO
            > BONUS:SKILL|Camp|CampScore
            > DEFINE:CampScore|0
            > BONUS:VAR|CampScore|(IntMAXCon)MAXWis

            BONUS:VAR|CampScore|(SKILL.Healing.TOTALMAXSKILL.Survival.TOTAL)MAXSKILL.Kno
            wledge (Nature).TOTAL

            I think that should do the trick.

            Barak
            ~PCGen BoD
            ~OS Silverback

            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 21, 2004
              Thanks! That was just the medicine I needed.

              Thought about it (and conferred with the DM), and we figured that
              the number of ranks bought in each skill would be more suitable, but
              it wasn't hard to figure out to replace TOTAL with RANK. Works like
              a charm. (The correct total doesn't show up within PCGen, but it
              shows up in the output file.)

              Again, thanks.

              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 21, 2004
                No problem.

                I was going to suggest that I thought rank would be better, but some people
                are touchy about suggestions about their house rules. :p

                The problem with the total is a GUI problem.. For some reason it doesn't
                update the skill unless you have ranks in it (or output it and then go back
                and look, that sometimes seems to work).

                Anyway, glad it worked for ya.

                Barak
                ~PCGen BoD
                ~OS Silverback

              • James Surles
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 23, 2004
                  Something that's been bugging me for the past couple of days is where
                  to find documentation for things like SKILL.name.RANK? I've gone
                  through the docs several times, and can't find anything. Am I
                  missing it?

                  If I'm not missing it, where in the source code can I find it? I'm
                  not averse to sifting through the code, but the only thing that I can
                  find that comes close is in the ExportHandler.java file.

                  --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Barak" <barak@v...> wrote:
                  > No problem.
                  >
                  > I was going to suggest that I thought rank would be better, but
                  some people
                  > are touchy about suggestions about their house rules. :p
                  >
                  > The problem with the total is a GUI problem.. For some reason it
                  doesn't
                  > update the skill unless you have ranks in it (or output it and then
                  go back
                  > and look, that sometimes seems to work).
                  >
                  > Anyway, glad it worked for ya.
                  >
                  > Barak
                  > ~PCGen BoD
                  > ~OS Silverback
                • Paul Grosse
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 23, 2004
                    Looking at the other lst files, specifically the SRD35 set is the best
                    way to learn. Other than that it's trial and error, and asking for
                    advice most of the time :)

                    > Something that's been bugging me for the past couple of days
                    > is where to find documentation for things like
                    > SKILL.name.RANK? I've gone through the docs several times,
                    > and can't find anything. Am I missing it?
                    >
                    > If I'm not missing it, where in the source code can I find
                    > it? I'm not averse to sifting through the code, but the only
                    > thing that I can find that comes close is in the
                    > ExportHandler.java file.
                    >
                    > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Barak" <barak@v...> wrote:
                    > > No problem.
                    > >
                    > > I was going to suggest that I thought rank would be better, but
                    > some people
                    > > are touchy about suggestions about their house rules. :p
                    > >
                    > > The problem with the total is a GUI problem.. For some reason it
                    > doesn't
                    > > update the skill unless you have ranks in it (or output it and then
                    > go back
                    > > and look, that sometimes seems to work).
                    > >
                    > > Anyway, glad it worked for ya.
                    > >
                    > > Barak
                    > > ~PCGen BoD
                    > > ~OS Silverback
                  • Ed Beckwith
                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 23, 2004
                      I experienced the same thing that James did... what would it take to put the
                      Operators into a portion of the help file... things like STRMAXDEX or
                      SKILL.Cheesefu.RANK, etc...

                      Ed

                      > Looking at the other lst files, specifically the SRD35 set is the best
                      > way to learn. Other than that it's trial and error, and asking for
                      > advice most of the time :)
                      >

                      > > Something that's been bugging me for the past couple of days
                      > > is where to find documentation for things like
                      > > SKILL.name.RANK? I've gone through the docs several times,
                      > > and can't find anything. Am I missing it?
                      > >
                      > > If I'm not missing it, where in the source code can I find
                      > > it? I'm not averse to sifting through the code, but the only
                      > > thing that I can find that comes close is in the
                      > > ExportHandler.java file.
                      > >
                      > > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Barak" <barak@v...> wrote:
                      > > > No problem.
                      > > >
                      > > > I was going to suggest that I thought rank would be better, but
                      > > some people
                      > > > are touchy about suggestions about their house rules. :p
                      > > >
                      > > > The problem with the total is a GUI problem.. For some reason it
                      > > doesn't
                      > > > update the skill unless you have ranks in it (or output it and then
                      > > go back
                      > > > and look, that sometimes seems to work).
                      > > >
                      > > > Anyway, glad it worked for ya.
                      > > >
                      > > > Barak
                      > > > ~PCGen BoD
                      > > > ~OS Silverback
                      >

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Chris
                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 23, 2004
                        Check in the Output Sheet docs... it's actually an OS token. (Hence
                        why you find it in exporthandler :p).

                        Barak