Re: [PCGenListFileHelp] Re: KEYSTATs for Skills

  • Christopher Larson
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 13 12:01 AM
      It may also be helpful for you to look in data\d20ogl\srd\srd_feats.lst
      at how the Weapon Finesse feat works. It's similar to what you're
      asking about.

      rthornton13 wrote:

      >--- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, <smulhern23@c...> wrote:
      >

      >>Is there a way to have a skill use the better of two stats as its
      >>

      >KEYSTAT? For example, DEX or INT, whichever is higher.
      >

      >>-Sean
      >>

      >I don't know if there is a way to actually *change* the KEYSTAT based
      >on which one is better, but you could use a something like
      >
      >BONUS:SKILL|x|(yMAXz)-y
      >
      >where x = the skill name,
      >y = the defined KEYSTAT,
      >and z= the alternate KEYSTAT
      >
      >ie,
      >
      >BONUS:SKILL|Tumble|(DEXMAXSTR)-DEX to make Tumble use the better of
      >Strength or Dexterity because strength helps for the springs and kip-
      >ups and dexterity helps with walkovers. The -DEX is to cancel the DEX
      >bonus that is already there. That help?
      >
      >Reed
      >QA Lemur
      >

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Frugal
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 13 12:36 AM
        <quote who="rthornton13">
        > I don't know if there is a way to actually *change* the KEYSTAT based
        > on which one is better, but you could use a something like
        >
        > BONUS:SKILL|x|(yMAXz)-y
        >
        > where x = the skill name,
        > y = the defined KEYSTAT,
        > and z= the alternate KEYSTAT
        >
        > ie,
        >
        > BONUS:SKILL|Tumble|(DEXMAXSTR)-DEX

        Or use the new syntax which makes it a lot more readable:

        BONUS:SKILL|Tumble|max(DEX,STR)-DEX

        --
        regards,
        Frugal
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 13 7:05 AM
          --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Frugal" <frugal@p...>
          wrote:
          > Or use the new syntax which makes it a lot more readable:
          >
          > BONUS:SKILL|Tumble|max(DEX,STR)-DEX
          >
          > --
          > regards,
          > Frugal
          > -OS Chimp

          That just works under 5.7.+, right?
        • Frugal
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 13 7:13 AM
            <quote who="rthornton13">
            > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Frugal" <frugal@p...>
            > wrote:
            >> Or use the new syntax which makes it a lot more readable:
            >>
            >> BONUS:SKILL|Tumble|max(DEX,STR)-DEX
            >
            > That just works under 5.7.+, right?

            Correct

            --
            regards,
            Frugal
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 13 7:43 AM
              > > BONUS:SKILL|Tumble|(DEXMAXSTR)-DEX
              >
              > Or use the new syntax which makes it a lot more readable:
              >
              > BONUS:SKILL|Tumble|max(DEX,STR)-DEX

              That's wrong, isn't it? What if you have a negative dex bonus.
              Eg. STR18 (+4) and DEX8 (-1).
              You would get a bonus of +5 on your skill.

              Marc
            • rthornton13
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 13 8:02 AM
                --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "God" <cosmos3000@g...>
                wrote:

                > > > BONUS:SKILL|Tumble|(DEXMAXSTR)-DEX
                > >
                > > Or use the new syntax which makes it a lot more readable:
                > >
                > > BONUS:SKILL|Tumble|max(DEX,STR)-DEX
                >
                > That's wrong, isn't it? What if you have a negative dex bonus.
                > Eg. STR18 (+4) and DEX8 (-1).
                > You would get a bonus of +5 on your skill.
                >
                > Marc

                Close, what will happen is that you will have a -1 to start with, due
                to your dex penalty.
                Total = KEYSTAT + Rank + Misc
                = (DEX) + Rank + ((DEXMAXSTR) - DEX)
                = (-1) + Rank + ((-1MAX4) - (-1))
                = (-1) + Rank + (4 - (-1))
                = -1 + Rank + (4 + 1)
                = -1 + Rank + 5
                = 4 + Rank

                Make sense?

                Reed
                QA Lemur
              • Sean
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 13 10:56 AM
                  --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "rthornton13"
                  <rthornton13@c...> wrote:
                  > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "God" <cosmos3000@g...>

                  > > > Or use the new syntax which makes it a lot more readable:
                  > > >
                  > > > BONUS:SKILL|Tumble|max(DEX,STR)-DEX
                  > >
                  > > That's wrong, isn't it? What if you have a negative dex bonus.
                  > > Eg. STR18 (+4) and DEX8 (-1).
                  > > You would get a bonus of +5 on your skill.
                  > >
                  > > Marc
                  >
                  > Close, what will happen is that you will have a -1 to start with,
                  due
                  > to your dex penalty.
                  > Total = KEYSTAT + Rank + Misc
                  > = (DEX) + Rank + ((DEXMAXSTR) - DEX)
                  > = (-1) + Rank + ((-1MAX4) - (-1))
                  > = (-1) + Rank + (4 - (-1))
                  > = -1 + Rank + (4 + 1)
                  > = -1 + Rank + 5
                  > = 4 + Rank
                  >
                  > Make sense?
                  >
                  > Reed
                  > QA Lemur

                  Thanks for all the help, everyone! I really appreciate it.

                  -Sean