Re: KEYSTATs for Skills

  • rthornton13
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 12, 2004
      --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, <smulhern23@c...> wrote:
      > Is there a way to have a skill use the better of two stats as its
      KEYSTAT? For example, DEX or INT, whichever is higher.

      > -Sean

      I don't know if there is a way to actually *change* the KEYSTAT based
      on which one is better, but you could use a something like

      BONUS:SKILL|x|(yMAXz)-y

      where x = the skill name,
      y = the defined KEYSTAT,
      and z= the alternate KEYSTAT

      ie,

      BONUS:SKILL|Tumble|(DEXMAXSTR)-DEX to make Tumble use the better of
      Strength or Dexterity because strength helps for the springs and kip-
      ups and dexterity helps with walkovers. The -DEX is to cancel the DEX
      bonus that is already there. That help?

      Reed
      QA Lemur
    • Christopher Larson
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 13, 2004
        It may also be helpful for you to look in data\d20ogl\srd\srd_feats.lst
        at how the Weapon Finesse feat works. It's similar to what you're
        asking about.

        rthornton13 wrote:

        >--- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, <smulhern23@c...> wrote:
        >

        >>Is there a way to have a skill use the better of two stats as its
        >>

        >KEYSTAT? For example, DEX or INT, whichever is higher.
        >

        >>-Sean
        >>

        >I don't know if there is a way to actually *change* the KEYSTAT based
        >on which one is better, but you could use a something like
        >
        >BONUS:SKILL|x|(yMAXz)-y
        >
        >where x = the skill name,
        >y = the defined KEYSTAT,
        >and z= the alternate KEYSTAT
        >
        >ie,
        >
        >BONUS:SKILL|Tumble|(DEXMAXSTR)-DEX to make Tumble use the better of
        >Strength or Dexterity because strength helps for the springs and kip-
        >ups and dexterity helps with walkovers. The -DEX is to cancel the DEX
        >bonus that is already there. That help?
        >
        >Reed
        >QA Lemur
        >

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Frugal
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 13, 2004
          <quote who="rthornton13">
          > I don't know if there is a way to actually *change* the KEYSTAT based
          > on which one is better, but you could use a something like
          >
          > BONUS:SKILL|x|(yMAXz)-y
          >
          > where x = the skill name,
          > y = the defined KEYSTAT,
          > and z= the alternate KEYSTAT
          >
          > ie,
          >
          > BONUS:SKILL|Tumble|(DEXMAXSTR)-DEX

          Or use the new syntax which makes it a lot more readable:

          BONUS:SKILL|Tumble|max(DEX,STR)-DEX

          --
          regards,
          Frugal
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 13, 2004
            --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Frugal" <frugal@p...>
            wrote:
            > Or use the new syntax which makes it a lot more readable:
            >
            > BONUS:SKILL|Tumble|max(DEX,STR)-DEX
            >
            > --
            > regards,
            > Frugal
            > -OS Chimp

            That just works under 5.7.+, right?
          • Frugal
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 13, 2004
              <quote who="rthornton13">
              > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Frugal" <frugal@p...>
              > wrote:
              >> Or use the new syntax which makes it a lot more readable:
              >>
              >> BONUS:SKILL|Tumble|max(DEX,STR)-DEX
              >
              > That just works under 5.7.+, right?

              Correct

              --
              regards,
              Frugal
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 13, 2004
                > > BONUS:SKILL|Tumble|(DEXMAXSTR)-DEX
                >
                > Or use the new syntax which makes it a lot more readable:
                >
                > BONUS:SKILL|Tumble|max(DEX,STR)-DEX

                That's wrong, isn't it? What if you have a negative dex bonus.
                Eg. STR18 (+4) and DEX8 (-1).
                You would get a bonus of +5 on your skill.

                Marc
              • rthornton13
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 13, 2004
                  --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "God" <cosmos3000@g...>
                  wrote:

                  > > > BONUS:SKILL|Tumble|(DEXMAXSTR)-DEX
                  > >
                  > > Or use the new syntax which makes it a lot more readable:
                  > >
                  > > BONUS:SKILL|Tumble|max(DEX,STR)-DEX
                  >
                  > That's wrong, isn't it? What if you have a negative dex bonus.
                  > Eg. STR18 (+4) and DEX8 (-1).
                  > You would get a bonus of +5 on your skill.
                  >
                  > Marc

                  Close, what will happen is that you will have a -1 to start with, due
                  to your dex penalty.
                  Total = KEYSTAT + Rank + Misc
                  = (DEX) + Rank + ((DEXMAXSTR) - DEX)
                  = (-1) + Rank + ((-1MAX4) - (-1))
                  = (-1) + Rank + (4 - (-1))
                  = -1 + Rank + (4 + 1)
                  = -1 + Rank + 5
                  = 4 + Rank

                  Make sense?

                  Reed
                  QA Lemur
                • Sean
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 13, 2004
                    --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "rthornton13"
                    <rthornton13@c...> wrote:
                    > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "God" <cosmos3000@g...>

                    > > > Or use the new syntax which makes it a lot more readable:
                    > > >
                    > > > BONUS:SKILL|Tumble|max(DEX,STR)-DEX
                    > >
                    > > That's wrong, isn't it? What if you have a negative dex bonus.
                    > > Eg. STR18 (+4) and DEX8 (-1).
                    > > You would get a bonus of +5 on your skill.
                    > >
                    > > Marc
                    >
                    > Close, what will happen is that you will have a -1 to start with,
                    due
                    > to your dex penalty.
                    > Total = KEYSTAT + Rank + Misc
                    > = (DEX) + Rank + ((DEXMAXSTR) - DEX)
                    > = (-1) + Rank + ((-1MAX4) - (-1))
                    > = (-1) + Rank + (4 - (-1))
                    > = -1 + Rank + (4 + 1)
                    > = -1 + Rank + 5
                    > = 4 + Rank
                    >
                    > Make sense?
                    >
                    > Reed
                    > QA Lemur

                    Thanks for all the help, everyone! I really appreciate it.

                    -Sean