KEYSTATs for Skills

  • smulhern23@cox.net
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 12, 2004
      Is there a way to have a skill use the better of two stats as its KEYSTAT? For example, DEX or INT, whichever is higher.

      -Sean
    • rthornton13
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 12, 2004
        --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, <smulhern23@c...> wrote:
        > Is there a way to have a skill use the better of two stats as its
        KEYSTAT? For example, DEX or INT, whichever is higher.

        > -Sean

        I don't know if there is a way to actually *change* the KEYSTAT based
        on which one is better, but you could use a something like

        BONUS:SKILL|x|(yMAXz)-y

        where x = the skill name,
        y = the defined KEYSTAT,
        and z= the alternate KEYSTAT

        ie,

        BONUS:SKILL|Tumble|(DEXMAXSTR)-DEX to make Tumble use the better of
        Strength or Dexterity because strength helps for the springs and kip-
        ups and dexterity helps with walkovers. The -DEX is to cancel the DEX
        bonus that is already there. That help?

        Reed
        QA Lemur
      • Christopher Larson
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 13, 2004
          It may also be helpful for you to look in data\d20ogl\srd\srd_feats.lst
          at how the Weapon Finesse feat works. It's similar to what you're
          asking about.

          rthornton13 wrote:

          >--- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, <smulhern23@c...> wrote:
          >

          >>Is there a way to have a skill use the better of two stats as its
          >>

          >KEYSTAT? For example, DEX or INT, whichever is higher.
          >

          >>-Sean
          >>

          >I don't know if there is a way to actually *change* the KEYSTAT based
          >on which one is better, but you could use a something like
          >
          >BONUS:SKILL|x|(yMAXz)-y
          >
          >where x = the skill name,
          >y = the defined KEYSTAT,
          >and z= the alternate KEYSTAT
          >
          >ie,
          >
          >BONUS:SKILL|Tumble|(DEXMAXSTR)-DEX to make Tumble use the better of
          >Strength or Dexterity because strength helps for the springs and kip-
          >ups and dexterity helps with walkovers. The -DEX is to cancel the DEX
          >bonus that is already there. That help?
          >
          >Reed
          >QA Lemur
          >

          >Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Frugal
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 13, 2004
            <quote who="rthornton13">
            > I don't know if there is a way to actually *change* the KEYSTAT based
            > on which one is better, but you could use a something like
            >
            > BONUS:SKILL|x|(yMAXz)-y
            >
            > where x = the skill name,
            > y = the defined KEYSTAT,
            > and z= the alternate KEYSTAT
            >
            > ie,
            >
            > BONUS:SKILL|Tumble|(DEXMAXSTR)-DEX

            Or use the new syntax which makes it a lot more readable:

            BONUS:SKILL|Tumble|max(DEX,STR)-DEX

            --
            regards,
            Frugal
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 13, 2004
              --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Frugal" <frugal@p...>
              wrote:
              > Or use the new syntax which makes it a lot more readable:
              >
              > BONUS:SKILL|Tumble|max(DEX,STR)-DEX
              >
              > --
              > regards,
              > Frugal
              > -OS Chimp

              That just works under 5.7.+, right?
            • Frugal
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 13, 2004
                <quote who="rthornton13">
                > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "Frugal" <frugal@p...>
                > wrote:
                >> Or use the new syntax which makes it a lot more readable:
                >>
                >> BONUS:SKILL|Tumble|max(DEX,STR)-DEX
                >
                > That just works under 5.7.+, right?

                Correct

                --
                regards,
                Frugal
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 13, 2004
                  > > BONUS:SKILL|Tumble|(DEXMAXSTR)-DEX
                  >
                  > Or use the new syntax which makes it a lot more readable:
                  >
                  > BONUS:SKILL|Tumble|max(DEX,STR)-DEX

                  That's wrong, isn't it? What if you have a negative dex bonus.
                  Eg. STR18 (+4) and DEX8 (-1).
                  You would get a bonus of +5 on your skill.

                  Marc
                • rthornton13
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 13, 2004
                    --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "God" <cosmos3000@g...>
                    wrote:

                    > > > BONUS:SKILL|Tumble|(DEXMAXSTR)-DEX
                    > >
                    > > Or use the new syntax which makes it a lot more readable:
                    > >
                    > > BONUS:SKILL|Tumble|max(DEX,STR)-DEX
                    >
                    > That's wrong, isn't it? What if you have a negative dex bonus.
                    > Eg. STR18 (+4) and DEX8 (-1).
                    > You would get a bonus of +5 on your skill.
                    >
                    > Marc

                    Close, what will happen is that you will have a -1 to start with, due
                    to your dex penalty.
                    Total = KEYSTAT + Rank + Misc
                    = (DEX) + Rank + ((DEXMAXSTR) - DEX)
                    = (-1) + Rank + ((-1MAX4) - (-1))
                    = (-1) + Rank + (4 - (-1))
                    = -1 + Rank + (4 + 1)
                    = -1 + Rank + 5
                    = 4 + Rank

                    Make sense?

                    Reed
                    QA Lemur
                  • Sean
                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 13, 2004
                      --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "rthornton13"
                      <rthornton13@c...> wrote:
                      > --- In PCGenListFileHelp@yahoogroups.com, "God" <cosmos3000@g...>

                      > > > Or use the new syntax which makes it a lot more readable:
                      > > >
                      > > > BONUS:SKILL|Tumble|max(DEX,STR)-DEX
                      > >
                      > > That's wrong, isn't it? What if you have a negative dex bonus.
                      > > Eg. STR18 (+4) and DEX8 (-1).
                      > > You would get a bonus of +5 on your skill.
                      > >
                      > > Marc
                      >
                      > Close, what will happen is that you will have a -1 to start with,
                      due
                      > to your dex penalty.
                      > Total = KEYSTAT + Rank + Misc
                      > = (DEX) + Rank + ((DEXMAXSTR) - DEX)
                      > = (-1) + Rank + ((-1MAX4) - (-1))
                      > = (-1) + Rank + (4 - (-1))
                      > = -1 + Rank + (4 + 1)
                      > = -1 + Rank + 5
                      > = 4 + Rank
                      >
                      > Make sense?
                      >
                      > Reed
                      > QA Lemur

                      Thanks for all the help, everyone! I really appreciate it.

                      -Sean