RE: [bump] [PCGenListFileHelp] CLASS and SUBCLASS

  • Paul W. King
    Message 1 of 23 , Mar 6, 2004
      Here, let me use an actual base class, that isn't used.

      Martial Arts Master
      As I said previously, BAB, F/R/W, Rep and Def don't change based on the
      style chosen
      Now, at every odd level you get a Mastery and every even a bonus feat.
      These are chosen from the list dependent on the style your mastering.

      So, if you choose Aikido, then you must choose the Aikido Masteries and the
      Aikido bonus feats. There is nothing that forbids you to pick up Karate,
      but then for the Karate Master, you must choose Karate Masteries and Karate
      bonus feats.

      That make a bit more sense? Or was I getting confused on your explanation
      and just muddy the waters some more?

      Paul W. King

      Message 2 of 23 , Mar 6, 2004

        Is this progressive or stacking? If I take 2 levels in Akido Master and
        then take a level in Karate Master, do I get the bonuses for a 3rd level
        master, or the bonuses for a 2nd level Akido and a 1st level Karate? If it
        stacks it'll be very problematical. If it doesn't, cool. :p

        > So, if you choose Aikido, then you must choose the Aikido
        > Masteries and the Aikido bonus feats. There is nothing that
        > forbids you to pick up Karate, but then for the Karate
        > Master, you must choose Karate Masteries and Karate bonus feats.

        Ok. Easy enough (I think). Following are what I'd try... classes then
        feats.

        **********************
        Master Class (Do Not Take)
        BAB F/R/W etc.
        1) ADD:FEAT(TYPE=Mastery)
        2) ADD:FEAT(TYPE=Bonus)

        Master Class (Do Not Take).COPY=Akido Master
        1 DEFINE:MasterType|0 BONUS:VAR|MasterType|1

        Master Class (Do Not Take).COPY=Karate Master
        1 DEFINE:MasterType|0 BONUS:VAR|MasterType|2
        ***********************
        Akido Smash
        TYPE:Mastery
        PREVAREQ:MasterType,1
        Stuff

        Akido Dodge
        TYPE:Mastery
        PREVAREQ:MasterType,1
        Stuff

        Karate Kick
        TYPE:Mastery
        PREVAREQ:MasterType,2
        Stuff

        Karate Chop
        TYPE:Mastery
        PREVAREQ:MasterType,2
        Stuff

        > That make a bit more sense? Or was I getting confused on your
        > explanation and just muddy the waters some more?

        I think you were confused (or maybe I was confusing :p). See above.

        Barak

        PS:Let me know if it works... That was all off the top of my head and from
        the docs.
      • taluroniscandar
        Message 3 of 23 , Mar 6, 2004
          > But would making them subclasses work? I just tried taking more
          than 1 Wiz
          > specialization (the only use of SUBCLASS I'm aware of) and couldn't.

          Just for future reference Psion uses SUBCLASSes also.
        • taluroniscandar
          Message 4 of 23 , Mar 6, 2004
            <paulking.rhochi@v...> wrote:
            > Here, let me use an actual base class, that isn't used.
            >
            > Martial Arts Master
            > As I said previously, BAB, F/R/W, Rep and Def don't change based on the
            > style chosen
            > Now, at every odd level you get a Mastery and every even a bonus feat.
            > These are chosen from the list dependent on the style your mastering.
            >
            > So, if you choose Aikido, then you must choose the Aikido Masteries
            and the
            > Aikido bonus feats. There is nothing that forbids you to pick up
            Karate,
            > but then for the Karate Master, you must choose Karate Masteries and
            Karate
            > bonus feats.
            >
            > That make a bit more sense? Or was I getting confused on your
            explanation
            > and just muddy the waters some more?

            Could create a basic class (with the BAB, FRW, etc) then put the rest
            of the stuff into PCGen templates (which are not exactly the same as
            DnD templates) Apply the skill, qualify for feats etc, thru the
            template (PRETEMPLATE) or just apply the feats and mastery stuff from
            the template itself. At, what is it, every odd level, give the
            character a TEMPLATE choice and base every else off of that choice.
          • Paul W. King
            Message 5 of 23 , Mar 6, 2004
              > Is this progressive or stacking? If I take 2 levels in Akido
              > Master and then take a level in Karate Master, do I get the
              > bonuses for a 3rd level master, or the bonuses for a 2nd level
              > Akido and a 1st level Karate? If it stacks it'll be very
              > problematical. If it doesn't, cool. :p

              Its the 2nd one. In your example, you'd have an Aikido mastery and
              Aikido feat as 2nd level Aikido Master and a Karate mastery as a 1st
              level Karate Master.

              > Ok. Easy enough (I think). Following are what I'd try... classes
              > then feats.

              Looking at your example, it would seem that you can't take multiple
              classes. If you take Aikido Master, MasterType is set to 1. If you
              then take Karate Master, MasterType goes up to 3 (1+2), and you'd
              get a different set of Mastery.

              Paul W. King
            • Paul W. King
              Message 6 of 23 , Mar 6, 2004
                > Just for future reference Psion uses SUBCLASSes also.

                *smacks head against wall*

                Boy! Do I now feel stupid. I'm going to take some advil now...I
                have a headache. :P
              • Paul W. King
                Message 7 of 23 , Mar 6, 2004
                  > Could create a basic class (with the BAB, FRW, etc) then put the
                  > rest of the stuff into PCGen templates (which are not exactly the
                  > same as DnD templates) Apply the skill, qualify for feats etc,
                  > thru the template (PRETEMPLATE) or just apply the feats and
                  > mastery stuff from the template itself. At, what is it, every odd
                  > level, give the character a TEMPLATE choice and base every else
                  > off of that choice.

                  Would that work with being a multiple master? You could,
                  conceivably, be an Aikido Master 1, Karate Master 1 and Jujitsu
                  Master 1.

                  Paul W. King
                • Barak
                  Message 8 of 23 , Mar 6, 2004

                    Doh... You're right. You'd have to define and test for a separate variable
                    for each one. Course then if you have two of them, you'll be offered feats
                    from both of them when the chooser pops. Ugh.

                    Why don't you do something simple for a change???? :p

                    Barak
                  • Paul W. King
                    Message 9 of 23 , Mar 6, 2004
                      Because none of the rules are simple? :P

                      Message 10 of 23 , Mar 6, 2004
                        In Legends of Excalibur, to become a Knight, you need a Nobility (I made it
                        a new stat) of 41 or higher. Now, there are ex-Knights, but that only
                        happens if your Nobility drops below 20. Is there a way to code this up? I
                        know Paladins become ex-Paladins if they stop being LG, but this ex class
                        has a bit more leeway.

                        Paul W. King
                      • Paul W. King
                        Message 11 of 23 , Mar 6, 2004
                          Legends of Excalibur has a feat called Innate Spell which reduces the spell
                          point cost of a particular spell its applied to. Now, the Enchantress PrC
                          grants the Innate Spell feat, but it can only be applied to a limited number
                          of spells.

                          From the docs, CHOOSE:SPELLLIST appears to be what I need for the general
                          case. Is there a way to utilize the general feat for the Enchatress'
                          specific application of it, or would it be easier to make a 2nd feat?

                          Paul W. King
                        • taluroniscandar
                          Message 12 of 23 , Mar 8, 2004
                            <paulking.rhochi@v...> wrote:
                            > > Could create a basic class (with the BAB, FRW, etc) then put the
                            > > rest of the stuff into PCGen templates (which are not exactly the
                            > > same as DnD templates) Apply the skill, qualify for feats etc,
                            > > thru the template (PRETEMPLATE) or just apply the feats and
                            > > mastery stuff from the template itself. At, what is it, every odd
                            > > level, give the character a TEMPLATE choice and base every else
                            > > off of that choice.
                            >
                            > Would that work with being a multiple master? You could,
                            > conceivably, be an Aikido Master 1, Karate Master 1 and Jujitsu
                            > Master 1.

                            I believe you can place level-based, er, 'stuff' in templates but it
                            likely go off TL or CL rather than level since you got the template.

                            Someone else was recently asking about 'level-since you got
                            something'. I think it ended up a FReq.