RE: [bump] [PCGenListFileHelp] CLASS and SUBCLASS

  • Barak
    Message 1 of 23 , Mar 6, 2004
      Subclasses wouldn't work.

      Hmmm, how about making a basic class (that wouldn't actually be taken) and
      then using .COPY and/or .MOD to make each of the variants? Then you don't
      have the duplication.

      Barak
      ~PCGen BoD
      ~OS Silverback

    • Paul W. King
      Message 2 of 23 , Mar 6, 2004
        Here, let me use an actual base class, that isn't used.

        Martial Arts Master
        As I said previously, BAB, F/R/W, Rep and Def don't change based on the
        style chosen
        Now, at every odd level you get a Mastery and every even a bonus feat.
        These are chosen from the list dependent on the style your mastering.

        So, if you choose Aikido, then you must choose the Aikido Masteries and the
        Aikido bonus feats. There is nothing that forbids you to pick up Karate,
        but then for the Karate Master, you must choose Karate Masteries and Karate
        bonus feats.

        That make a bit more sense? Or was I getting confused on your explanation
        and just muddy the waters some more?

        Paul W. King

        Message 3 of 23 , Mar 6, 2004
          > From: Paul W. King [mailto:paulking.rhochi@...]
          >
          > Here, let me use an actual base class, that isn't used.
          >
          > Martial Arts Master
          > As I said previously, BAB, F/R/W, Rep and Def don't change
          > based on the style chosen Now, at every odd level you get a
          > Mastery and every even a bonus feat. These are chosen from
          > the list dependent on the style your mastering.

          Is this progressive or stacking? If I take 2 levels in Akido Master and
          then take a level in Karate Master, do I get the bonuses for a 3rd level
          master, or the bonuses for a 2nd level Akido and a 1st level Karate? If it
          stacks it'll be very problematical. If it doesn't, cool. :p

          > So, if you choose Aikido, then you must choose the Aikido
          > Masteries and the Aikido bonus feats. There is nothing that
          > forbids you to pick up Karate, but then for the Karate
          > Master, you must choose Karate Masteries and Karate bonus feats.

          Ok. Easy enough (I think). Following are what I'd try... classes then
          feats.

          **********************
          Master Class (Do Not Take)
          BAB F/R/W etc.
          1) ADD:FEAT(TYPE=Mastery)
          2) ADD:FEAT(TYPE=Bonus)

          Master Class (Do Not Take).COPY=Akido Master
          1 DEFINE:MasterType|0 BONUS:VAR|MasterType|1

          Master Class (Do Not Take).COPY=Karate Master
          1 DEFINE:MasterType|0 BONUS:VAR|MasterType|2
          ***********************
          Akido Smash
          TYPE:Mastery
          PREVAREQ:MasterType,1
          Stuff

          Akido Dodge
          TYPE:Mastery
          PREVAREQ:MasterType,1
          Stuff

          Karate Kick
          TYPE:Mastery
          PREVAREQ:MasterType,2
          Stuff

          Karate Chop
          TYPE:Mastery
          PREVAREQ:MasterType,2
          Stuff

          > That make a bit more sense? Or was I getting confused on your
          > explanation and just muddy the waters some more?

          I think you were confused (or maybe I was confusing :p). See above.

          Barak

          PS:Let me know if it works... That was all off the top of my head and from
          the docs.
        • taluroniscandar
          Message 4 of 23 , Mar 6, 2004
            > But would making them subclasses work? I just tried taking more
            than 1 Wiz
            > specialization (the only use of SUBCLASS I'm aware of) and couldn't.

            Just for future reference Psion uses SUBCLASSes also.
          • taluroniscandar
            Message 5 of 23 , Mar 6, 2004
              <paulking.rhochi@v...> wrote:
              > Here, let me use an actual base class, that isn't used.
              >
              > Martial Arts Master
              > As I said previously, BAB, F/R/W, Rep and Def don't change based on the
              > style chosen
              > Now, at every odd level you get a Mastery and every even a bonus feat.
              > These are chosen from the list dependent on the style your mastering.
              >
              > So, if you choose Aikido, then you must choose the Aikido Masteries
              and the
              > Aikido bonus feats. There is nothing that forbids you to pick up
              Karate,
              > but then for the Karate Master, you must choose Karate Masteries and
              Karate
              > bonus feats.
              >
              > That make a bit more sense? Or was I getting confused on your
              explanation
              > and just muddy the waters some more?

              Could create a basic class (with the BAB, FRW, etc) then put the rest
              of the stuff into PCGen templates (which are not exactly the same as
              DnD templates) Apply the skill, qualify for feats etc, thru the
              template (PRETEMPLATE) or just apply the feats and mastery stuff from
              the template itself. At, what is it, every odd level, give the
              character a TEMPLATE choice and base every else off of that choice.
            • Paul W. King
              Message 6 of 23 , Mar 6, 2004
                > Is this progressive or stacking? If I take 2 levels in Akido
                > Master and then take a level in Karate Master, do I get the
                > bonuses for a 3rd level master, or the bonuses for a 2nd level
                > Akido and a 1st level Karate? If it stacks it'll be very
                > problematical. If it doesn't, cool. :p

                Its the 2nd one. In your example, you'd have an Aikido mastery and
                Aikido feat as 2nd level Aikido Master and a Karate mastery as a 1st
                level Karate Master.

                > Ok. Easy enough (I think). Following are what I'd try... classes
                > then feats.

                Looking at your example, it would seem that you can't take multiple
                classes. If you take Aikido Master, MasterType is set to 1. If you
                then take Karate Master, MasterType goes up to 3 (1+2), and you'd
                get a different set of Mastery.

                Paul W. King
              • Paul W. King
                Message 7 of 23 , Mar 6, 2004
                  > Just for future reference Psion uses SUBCLASSes also.

                  *smacks head against wall*

                  Boy! Do I now feel stupid. I'm going to take some advil now...I
                  have a headache. :P
                • Paul W. King
                  Message 8 of 23 , Mar 6, 2004
                    > Could create a basic class (with the BAB, FRW, etc) then put the
                    > rest of the stuff into PCGen templates (which are not exactly the
                    > same as DnD templates) Apply the skill, qualify for feats etc,
                    > thru the template (PRETEMPLATE) or just apply the feats and
                    > mastery stuff from the template itself. At, what is it, every odd
                    > level, give the character a TEMPLATE choice and base every else
                    > off of that choice.

                    Would that work with being a multiple master? You could,
                    conceivably, be an Aikido Master 1, Karate Master 1 and Jujitsu
                    Master 1.

                    Paul W. King
                  • Barak
                    Message 9 of 23 , Mar 6, 2004
                      > From: Paul W. King [mailto:paulking.rhochi@...]

                      > Looking at your example, it would seem that you can't take multiple
                      > classes. If you take Aikido Master, MasterType is set to 1. If you
                      > then take Karate Master, MasterType goes up to 3 (1+2), and you'd
                      > get a different set of Mastery.

                      Doh... You're right. You'd have to define and test for a separate variable
                      for each one. Course then if you have two of them, you'll be offered feats
                      from both of them when the chooser pops. Ugh.

                      Why don't you do something simple for a change???? :p

                      Barak
                    • Paul W. King
                      Message 10 of 23 , Mar 6, 2004
                        Because none of the rules are simple? :P

                        Message 11 of 23 , Mar 6, 2004
                          In Legends of Excalibur, to become a Knight, you need a Nobility (I made it
                          a new stat) of 41 or higher. Now, there are ex-Knights, but that only
                          happens if your Nobility drops below 20. Is there a way to code this up? I
                          know Paladins become ex-Paladins if they stop being LG, but this ex class
                          has a bit more leeway.

                          Paul W. King
                        • Paul W. King
                          Message 12 of 23 , Mar 6, 2004
                            Legends of Excalibur has a feat called Innate Spell which reduces the spell
                            point cost of a particular spell its applied to. Now, the Enchantress PrC
                            grants the Innate Spell feat, but it can only be applied to a limited number
                            of spells.

                            From the docs, CHOOSE:SPELLLIST appears to be what I need for the general
                            case. Is there a way to utilize the general feat for the Enchatress'
                            specific application of it, or would it be easier to make a 2nd feat?

                            Paul W. King
                          • taluroniscandar
                            Message 13 of 23 , Mar 8, 2004
                              <paulking.rhochi@v...> wrote:
                              > > Could create a basic class (with the BAB, FRW, etc) then put the
                              > > rest of the stuff into PCGen templates (which are not exactly the
                              > > same as DnD templates) Apply the skill, qualify for feats etc,
                              > > thru the template (PRETEMPLATE) or just apply the feats and
                              > > mastery stuff from the template itself. At, what is it, every odd
                              > > level, give the character a TEMPLATE choice and base every else
                              > > off of that choice.
                              >
                              > Would that work with being a multiple master? You could,
                              > conceivably, be an Aikido Master 1, Karate Master 1 and Jujitsu
                              > Master 1.

                              I believe you can place level-based, er, 'stuff' in templates but it
                              likely go off TL or CL rather than level since you got the template.

                              Someone else was recently asking about 'level-since you got
                              something'. I think it ended up a FReq.