Re: [bump] [PCGenListFileHelp] CLASS and SUBCLASS

  • Hetter
    Message 1 of 23 , Mar 6, 2004
      Hrmmm....sorry, I focused in on the feat aspect that you mentioned,
      didn't realize you could actually take the class more than once. In
      that case, the only way I know of to do it would be doing the however
      many (40+?) sublcasses.

      --
      Hetter
      Special Projects Silverback

      Paul W. King wrote:

      >Would you be able to take the class more than once? You could be a Karate
      >Master and an Aikido Master, both of which use the Martial Arts Master
      >class...one focuses on Karate and the other Aikido.
      >
      >Paul W. King
      >OGL SB, PL Chimp, Data Tamarin, TM Lemur, BoD

    • Paul W. King
      Message 2 of 23 , Mar 6, 2004
        But would making them subclasses work? I just tried taking more than 1 Wiz
        specialization (the only use of SUBCLASS I'm aware of) and couldn't.

        I think it'd be a shame to have so much duplication, since the BAB, F/R/W
        saves, Reputation and Defense progression and the levels to choose the bonus
        feats and bonus martial arts styles would be the same for all the subclasses
        of the Contemplative Master and the Martial Arts Master (so we're talking
        over 80 total classes).

        Paul W. King

        Message 3 of 23 , Mar 6, 2004
          Subclasses wouldn't work.

          Hmmm, how about making a basic class (that wouldn't actually be taken) and
          then using .COPY and/or .MOD to make each of the variants? Then you don't
          have the duplication.

          Barak
          ~PCGen BoD
          ~OS Silverback

          Message 4 of 23 , Mar 6, 2004
            Here, let me use an actual base class, that isn't used.

            Martial Arts Master
            As I said previously, BAB, F/R/W, Rep and Def don't change based on the
            style chosen
            Now, at every odd level you get a Mastery and every even a bonus feat.
            These are chosen from the list dependent on the style your mastering.

            So, if you choose Aikido, then you must choose the Aikido Masteries and the
            Aikido bonus feats. There is nothing that forbids you to pick up Karate,
            but then for the Karate Master, you must choose Karate Masteries and Karate
            bonus feats.

            That make a bit more sense? Or was I getting confused on your explanation
            and just muddy the waters some more?

            Paul W. King

            Message 5 of 23 , Mar 6, 2004
              > From: Paul W. King [mailto:paulking.rhochi@...]
              >
              > Here, let me use an actual base class, that isn't used.
              >
              > Martial Arts Master
              > As I said previously, BAB, F/R/W, Rep and Def don't change
              > based on the style chosen Now, at every odd level you get a
              > Mastery and every even a bonus feat. These are chosen from
              > the list dependent on the style your mastering.

              Is this progressive or stacking? If I take 2 levels in Akido Master and
              then take a level in Karate Master, do I get the bonuses for a 3rd level
              master, or the bonuses for a 2nd level Akido and a 1st level Karate? If it
              stacks it'll be very problematical. If it doesn't, cool. :p

              > So, if you choose Aikido, then you must choose the Aikido
              > Masteries and the Aikido bonus feats. There is nothing that
              > forbids you to pick up Karate, but then for the Karate
              > Master, you must choose Karate Masteries and Karate bonus feats.

              Ok. Easy enough (I think). Following are what I'd try... classes then
              feats.

              **********************
              Master Class (Do Not Take)
              BAB F/R/W etc.
              1) ADD:FEAT(TYPE=Mastery)
              2) ADD:FEAT(TYPE=Bonus)

              Master Class (Do Not Take).COPY=Akido Master
              1 DEFINE:MasterType|0 BONUS:VAR|MasterType|1

              Master Class (Do Not Take).COPY=Karate Master
              1 DEFINE:MasterType|0 BONUS:VAR|MasterType|2
              ***********************
              Akido Smash
              TYPE:Mastery
              PREVAREQ:MasterType,1
              Stuff

              Akido Dodge
              TYPE:Mastery
              PREVAREQ:MasterType,1
              Stuff

              Karate Kick
              TYPE:Mastery
              PREVAREQ:MasterType,2
              Stuff

              Karate Chop
              TYPE:Mastery
              PREVAREQ:MasterType,2
              Stuff

              > That make a bit more sense? Or was I getting confused on your
              > explanation and just muddy the waters some more?

              I think you were confused (or maybe I was confusing :p). See above.

              Barak

              PS:Let me know if it works... That was all off the top of my head and from
              the docs.
            • taluroniscandar
              Message 6 of 23 , Mar 6, 2004
                > But would making them subclasses work? I just tried taking more
                than 1 Wiz
                > specialization (the only use of SUBCLASS I'm aware of) and couldn't.

                Just for future reference Psion uses SUBCLASSes also.
              • taluroniscandar
                Message 7 of 23 , Mar 6, 2004
                  <paulking.rhochi@v...> wrote:
                  > Here, let me use an actual base class, that isn't used.
                  >
                  > Martial Arts Master
                  > As I said previously, BAB, F/R/W, Rep and Def don't change based on the
                  > style chosen
                  > Now, at every odd level you get a Mastery and every even a bonus feat.
                  > These are chosen from the list dependent on the style your mastering.
                  >
                  > So, if you choose Aikido, then you must choose the Aikido Masteries
                  and the
                  > Aikido bonus feats. There is nothing that forbids you to pick up
                  Karate,
                  > but then for the Karate Master, you must choose Karate Masteries and
                  Karate
                  > bonus feats.
                  >
                  > That make a bit more sense? Or was I getting confused on your
                  explanation
                  > and just muddy the waters some more?

                  Could create a basic class (with the BAB, FRW, etc) then put the rest
                  of the stuff into PCGen templates (which are not exactly the same as
                  DnD templates) Apply the skill, qualify for feats etc, thru the
                  template (PRETEMPLATE) or just apply the feats and mastery stuff from
                  the template itself. At, what is it, every odd level, give the
                  character a TEMPLATE choice and base every else off of that choice.
                • Paul W. King
                  Message 8 of 23 , Mar 6, 2004
                    > Is this progressive or stacking? If I take 2 levels in Akido
                    > Master and then take a level in Karate Master, do I get the
                    > bonuses for a 3rd level master, or the bonuses for a 2nd level
                    > Akido and a 1st level Karate? If it stacks it'll be very
                    > problematical. If it doesn't, cool. :p

                    Its the 2nd one. In your example, you'd have an Aikido mastery and
                    Aikido feat as 2nd level Aikido Master and a Karate mastery as a 1st
                    level Karate Master.

                    > Ok. Easy enough (I think). Following are what I'd try... classes
                    > then feats.

                    Looking at your example, it would seem that you can't take multiple
                    classes. If you take Aikido Master, MasterType is set to 1. If you
                    then take Karate Master, MasterType goes up to 3 (1+2), and you'd
                    get a different set of Mastery.

                    Paul W. King
                  • Paul W. King
                    Message 9 of 23 , Mar 6, 2004
                      > Just for future reference Psion uses SUBCLASSes also.

                      *smacks head against wall*

                      Boy! Do I now feel stupid. I'm going to take some advil now...I
                      have a headache. :P
                    • Paul W. King
                      Message 10 of 23 , Mar 6, 2004
                        > Could create a basic class (with the BAB, FRW, etc) then put the
                        > rest of the stuff into PCGen templates (which are not exactly the
                        > same as DnD templates) Apply the skill, qualify for feats etc,
                        > thru the template (PRETEMPLATE) or just apply the feats and
                        > mastery stuff from the template itself. At, what is it, every odd
                        > level, give the character a TEMPLATE choice and base every else
                        > off of that choice.

                        Would that work with being a multiple master? You could,
                        conceivably, be an Aikido Master 1, Karate Master 1 and Jujitsu
                        Master 1.

                        Paul W. King
                      • Barak
                        Message 11 of 23 , Mar 6, 2004
                          > From: Paul W. King [mailto:paulking.rhochi@...]

                          > Looking at your example, it would seem that you can't take multiple
                          > classes. If you take Aikido Master, MasterType is set to 1. If you
                          > then take Karate Master, MasterType goes up to 3 (1+2), and you'd
                          > get a different set of Mastery.

                          Doh... You're right. You'd have to define and test for a separate variable
                          for each one. Course then if you have two of them, you'll be offered feats
                          from both of them when the chooser pops. Ugh.

                          Why don't you do something simple for a change???? :p

                          Barak
                        • Paul W. King
                          Message 12 of 23 , Mar 6, 2004
                            Because none of the rules are simple? :P

                            Message 13 of 23 , Mar 6, 2004
                              In Legends of Excalibur, to become a Knight, you need a Nobility (I made it
                              a new stat) of 41 or higher. Now, there are ex-Knights, but that only
                              happens if your Nobility drops below 20. Is there a way to code this up? I
                              know Paladins become ex-Paladins if they stop being LG, but this ex class
                              has a bit more leeway.

                              Paul W. King
                            • Paul W. King
                              Message 14 of 23 , Mar 6, 2004
                                Legends of Excalibur has a feat called Innate Spell which reduces the spell
                                point cost of a particular spell its applied to. Now, the Enchantress PrC
                                grants the Innate Spell feat, but it can only be applied to a limited number
                                of spells.

                                From the docs, CHOOSE:SPELLLIST appears to be what I need for the general
                                case. Is there a way to utilize the general feat for the Enchatress'
                                specific application of it, or would it be easier to make a 2nd feat?

                                Paul W. King
                              • taluroniscandar
                                Message 15 of 23 , Mar 8, 2004
                                  <paulking.rhochi@v...> wrote:
                                  > > Could create a basic class (with the BAB, FRW, etc) then put the
                                  > > rest of the stuff into PCGen templates (which are not exactly the
                                  > > same as DnD templates) Apply the skill, qualify for feats etc,
                                  > > thru the template (PRETEMPLATE) or just apply the feats and
                                  > > mastery stuff from the template itself. At, what is it, every odd
                                  > > level, give the character a TEMPLATE choice and base every else
                                  > > off of that choice.
                                  >
                                  > Would that work with being a multiple master? You could,
                                  > conceivably, be an Aikido Master 1, Karate Master 1 and Jujitsu
                                  > Master 1.

                                  I believe you can place level-based, er, 'stuff' in templates but it
                                  likely go off TL or CL rather than level since you got the template.

                                  Someone else was recently asking about 'level-since you got
                                  something'. I think it ended up a FReq.