Re: [bump] [PCGenListFileHelp] CLASS and SUBCLASS

  • Hetter
    Message 1 of 23 , Mar 5 8:39 PM
      Paul W. King wrote:

      >I wasn't sure if there was an easier way to do this or not.
      >
      >In RPG Object's Blood and Fists, there are 2 Advanced Classes (modern based
      >system) called Contemplative Master and Martial Arts Master.
      >
      >However, when you take the 1st level of either class, you need to pick one
      >of over 40 martial arts styles (Aikido, Karate and Kendo as examples),
      >which are a type of feat. As you progress in either class, you get bonus
      >feats based upon your chosen style and chosen style masteries. You can take
      >each class more than once; for example, you could be a Contemplative Aikido
      >Master and a Contemplative Kendo Master.
      >
      >Having said all that. Is there a way, currently, to have a chooser on which
      >style you'll be focusing on, or will 40+ subclasses be needed for these
      >classes?

      Why not set it up the same way as the ranger fighting style?

      --
      Hetter
      Special Projects Silverback
      Message 2 of 23 , Mar 6 1:42 AM
        Would you be able to take the class more than once? You could be a Karate
        Master and an Aikido Master, both of which use the Martial Arts Master
        class...one focuses on Karate and the other Aikido.

        Paul W. King

        Message 3 of 23 , Mar 6 5:39 AM
          Hrmmm....sorry, I focused in on the feat aspect that you mentioned,
          didn't realize you could actually take the class more than once. In
          that case, the only way I know of to do it would be doing the however
          many (40+?) sublcasses.

          Message 4 of 23 , Mar 6 5:51 AM
            But would making them subclasses work? I just tried taking more than 1 Wiz
            specialization (the only use of SUBCLASS I'm aware of) and couldn't.

            I think it'd be a shame to have so much duplication, since the BAB, F/R/W
            saves, Reputation and Defense progression and the levels to choose the bonus
            feats and bonus martial arts styles would be the same for all the subclasses
            of the Contemplative Master and the Martial Arts Master (so we're talking
            over 80 total classes).

            Paul W. King

            Message 5 of 23 , Mar 6 6:03 AM
              Subclasses wouldn't work.

              Hmmm, how about making a basic class (that wouldn't actually be taken) and
              then using .COPY and/or .MOD to make each of the variants? Then you don't
              have the duplication.

              Barak
              ~PCGen BoD
              ~OS Silverback

              Message 6 of 23 , Mar 6 6:11 AM
                Here, let me use an actual base class, that isn't used.

                Martial Arts Master
                As I said previously, BAB, F/R/W, Rep and Def don't change based on the
                style chosen
                Now, at every odd level you get a Mastery and every even a bonus feat.
                These are chosen from the list dependent on the style your mastering.

                So, if you choose Aikido, then you must choose the Aikido Masteries and the
                Aikido bonus feats. There is nothing that forbids you to pick up Karate,
                but then for the Karate Master, you must choose Karate Masteries and Karate
                bonus feats.

                That make a bit more sense? Or was I getting confused on your explanation
                and just muddy the waters some more?

                Paul W. King

                Message 7 of 23 , Mar 6 7:04 AM
                  > From: Paul W. King [mailto:paulking.rhochi@...]
                  >
                  > Here, let me use an actual base class, that isn't used.
                  >
                  > Martial Arts Master
                  > As I said previously, BAB, F/R/W, Rep and Def don't change
                  > based on the style chosen Now, at every odd level you get a
                  > Mastery and every even a bonus feat. These are chosen from
                  > the list dependent on the style your mastering.

                  Is this progressive or stacking? If I take 2 levels in Akido Master and
                  then take a level in Karate Master, do I get the bonuses for a 3rd level
                  master, or the bonuses for a 2nd level Akido and a 1st level Karate? If it
                  stacks it'll be very problematical. If it doesn't, cool. :p

                  > So, if you choose Aikido, then you must choose the Aikido
                  > Masteries and the Aikido bonus feats. There is nothing that
                  > forbids you to pick up Karate, but then for the Karate
                  > Master, you must choose Karate Masteries and Karate bonus feats.

                  Ok. Easy enough (I think). Following are what I'd try... classes then
                  feats.

                  **********************
                  Master Class (Do Not Take)
                  BAB F/R/W etc.
                  1) ADD:FEAT(TYPE=Mastery)
                  2) ADD:FEAT(TYPE=Bonus)

                  Master Class (Do Not Take).COPY=Akido Master
                  1 DEFINE:MasterType|0 BONUS:VAR|MasterType|1

                  Master Class (Do Not Take).COPY=Karate Master
                  1 DEFINE:MasterType|0 BONUS:VAR|MasterType|2
                  ***********************
                  Akido Smash
                  TYPE:Mastery
                  PREVAREQ:MasterType,1
                  Stuff

                  Akido Dodge
                  TYPE:Mastery
                  PREVAREQ:MasterType,1
                  Stuff

                  Karate Kick
                  TYPE:Mastery
                  PREVAREQ:MasterType,2
                  Stuff

                  Karate Chop
                  TYPE:Mastery
                  PREVAREQ:MasterType,2
                  Stuff

                  > That make a bit more sense? Or was I getting confused on your
                  > explanation and just muddy the waters some more?

                  I think you were confused (or maybe I was confusing :p). See above.

                  Barak

                  PS:Let me know if it works... That was all off the top of my head and from
                  the docs.
                • taluroniscandar
                  Message 8 of 23 , Mar 6 8:46 AM
                    > But would making them subclasses work? I just tried taking more
                    than 1 Wiz
                    > specialization (the only use of SUBCLASS I'm aware of) and couldn't.

                    Just for future reference Psion uses SUBCLASSes also.
                  • taluroniscandar
                    Message 9 of 23 , Mar 6 8:52 AM
                      <paulking.rhochi@v...> wrote:
                      > Here, let me use an actual base class, that isn't used.
                      >
                      > Martial Arts Master
                      > As I said previously, BAB, F/R/W, Rep and Def don't change based on the
                      > style chosen
                      > Now, at every odd level you get a Mastery and every even a bonus feat.
                      > These are chosen from the list dependent on the style your mastering.
                      >
                      > So, if you choose Aikido, then you must choose the Aikido Masteries
                      and the
                      > Aikido bonus feats. There is nothing that forbids you to pick up
                      Karate,
                      > but then for the Karate Master, you must choose Karate Masteries and
                      Karate
                      > bonus feats.
                      >
                      > That make a bit more sense? Or was I getting confused on your
                      explanation
                      > and just muddy the waters some more?

                      Could create a basic class (with the BAB, FRW, etc) then put the rest
                      of the stuff into PCGen templates (which are not exactly the same as
                      DnD templates) Apply the skill, qualify for feats etc, thru the
                      template (PRETEMPLATE) or just apply the feats and mastery stuff from
                      the template itself. At, what is it, every odd level, give the
                      character a TEMPLATE choice and base every else off of that choice.
                    • Paul W. King
                      Message 10 of 23 , Mar 6 11:49 AM
                        > Is this progressive or stacking? If I take 2 levels in Akido
                        > Master and then take a level in Karate Master, do I get the
                        > bonuses for a 3rd level master, or the bonuses for a 2nd level
                        > Akido and a 1st level Karate? If it stacks it'll be very
                        > problematical. If it doesn't, cool. :p

                        Its the 2nd one. In your example, you'd have an Aikido mastery and
                        Aikido feat as 2nd level Aikido Master and a Karate mastery as a 1st
                        level Karate Master.

                        > Ok. Easy enough (I think). Following are what I'd try... classes
                        > then feats.

                        Looking at your example, it would seem that you can't take multiple
                        classes. If you take Aikido Master, MasterType is set to 1. If you
                        then take Karate Master, MasterType goes up to 3 (1+2), and you'd
                        get a different set of Mastery.

                        Paul W. King
                      • Paul W. King
                        Message 11 of 23 , Mar 6 11:53 AM
                          > Just for future reference Psion uses SUBCLASSes also.

                          *smacks head against wall*

                          Boy! Do I now feel stupid. I'm going to take some advil now...I
                          have a headache. :P
                        • Paul W. King
                          Message 12 of 23 , Mar 6 11:56 AM
                            > Could create a basic class (with the BAB, FRW, etc) then put the
                            > rest of the stuff into PCGen templates (which are not exactly the
                            > same as DnD templates) Apply the skill, qualify for feats etc,
                            > thru the template (PRETEMPLATE) or just apply the feats and
                            > mastery stuff from the template itself. At, what is it, every odd
                            > level, give the character a TEMPLATE choice and base every else
                            > off of that choice.

                            Would that work with being a multiple master? You could,
                            conceivably, be an Aikido Master 1, Karate Master 1 and Jujitsu
                            Master 1.

                            Paul W. King
                          • Barak
                            Message 13 of 23 , Mar 6 12:02 PM
                              > From: Paul W. King [mailto:paulking.rhochi@...]

                              > Looking at your example, it would seem that you can't take multiple
                              > classes. If you take Aikido Master, MasterType is set to 1. If you
                              > then take Karate Master, MasterType goes up to 3 (1+2), and you'd
                              > get a different set of Mastery.

                              Doh... You're right. You'd have to define and test for a separate variable
                              for each one. Course then if you have two of them, you'll be offered feats
                              from both of them when the chooser pops. Ugh.

                              Why don't you do something simple for a change???? :p

                              Barak
                            • Paul W. King
                              Message 14 of 23 , Mar 6 12:07 PM
                                Because none of the rules are simple? :P

                                Message 15 of 23 , Mar 6 6:23 PM
                                  In Legends of Excalibur, to become a Knight, you need a Nobility (I made it
                                  a new stat) of 41 or higher. Now, there are ex-Knights, but that only
                                  happens if your Nobility drops below 20. Is there a way to code this up? I
                                  know Paladins become ex-Paladins if they stop being LG, but this ex class
                                  has a bit more leeway.

                                  Paul W. King
                                • Paul W. King
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Mar 6 8:47 PM
                                    Legends of Excalibur has a feat called Innate Spell which reduces the spell
                                    point cost of a particular spell its applied to. Now, the Enchantress PrC
                                    grants the Innate Spell feat, but it can only be applied to a limited number
                                    of spells.

                                    From the docs, CHOOSE:SPELLLIST appears to be what I need for the general
                                    case. Is there a way to utilize the general feat for the Enchatress'
                                    specific application of it, or would it be easier to make a 2nd feat?

                                    Paul W. King
                                  • taluroniscandar
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Mar 8 5:53 AM
                                      <paulking.rhochi@v...> wrote:
                                      > > Could create a basic class (with the BAB, FRW, etc) then put the
                                      > > rest of the stuff into PCGen templates (which are not exactly the
                                      > > same as DnD templates) Apply the skill, qualify for feats etc,
                                      > > thru the template (PRETEMPLATE) or just apply the feats and
                                      > > mastery stuff from the template itself. At, what is it, every odd
                                      > > level, give the character a TEMPLATE choice and base every else
                                      > > off of that choice.
                                      >
                                      > Would that work with being a multiple master? You could,
                                      > conceivably, be an Aikido Master 1, Karate Master 1 and Jujitsu
                                      > Master 1.

                                      I believe you can place level-based, er, 'stuff' in templates but it
                                      likely go off TL or CL rather than level since you got the template.

                                      Someone else was recently asking about 'level-since you got
                                      something'. I think it ended up a FReq.